The Habs defense

yave1964

Saw today that the Canadiens traded sorta prospect William Bitten to the Wild for sorta NHL defenseman Gustav Olofsson. I took a look at the Canadien defense to see where he slots in and shook my head and covered my face, lol.

Shea Weber used to be my favorite non Wing, now he cannot stay on the ice and his skill is slipping. badly.

Jeff Petry is a very fine number three forced to play as a one. Waaayyyy out of his weight class.

Mike Reilly was picked up off the scrap heap after failing in Minny.

Ofofsson, same thing. Neither are much more than a 7D filler.

Jordie Benn simply cannot play.

Oullet was given numberous shots with one of the games worst defenses in Detroit and couldn't crack the roster.

Mete is an undersized stay at home defenseman who gets pushed all over the ice and plays because someone has to.

Alzner was a poor signing last year who signed for too much for too long out of desperation. Another stay at home guy who was supposed to be good and isn't.

Juulsen is a real prospect kinda, at least he has speed but is very raw, in 54 games between the NHL and the A last year he only managed 2 goals and 9 points and was never a scorer in the WHL.

Schlemko is a Coyote reject who was meh at best last year and is hurt this year. Probably strained his neck watching forwards fly past him.

For years I have watched the Wings defense atrophy and get worse and worse since the Lidstrom retirement, for the past two they are arguably the worst in the game but this, oh my God this is among the worst I have ever seen. no skill, no shut down guys, God love Petry he is still out there trying and Juulsen is a C rated prospect who they hope develops in to a 2nd pair guy but probably wont, it is just an awful mess. I would feel sorry for Carey Price if he didn't appear to be such a jerk in every interview.

Maybe they could trade Weber to Nashville for Subban, and Drouin to the Lightning for Sergachev. 

Oh wait.

Archived