2018-19 NHL General Season Thread Talk

TropicalFruitGirl26

1757608901_NHLSeason.jpg.a2f7946493bcd1efeaf3258176715e84.jpg

Figured I'd have a thread for just general discussion of ANY NHL team as the season wears on.
Sometimes we have thoughts that don't necessarily require an entire thread, so this thread would be a good place to put them.

If any topics here are good enough for their own threads, by all means, go and make one.
But here, we will stick to one-offs, observations, or just short commentary on the state of the NHL and its teams as they navigate this new campaign...and topics here can range wildly....errrr, no pun intended... :shifty:

I will start with this:

HRADEK-GRIMSON.jpg.b85e7d3e51075ef04d8c236f25714e52.jpg

Watching NHL Network earlier today, and took a candid shot of my tv screen showing EJ Hradek and former enforcer Stu 'The Grim Reaper' Grimson.
Now, this may sound mean, but doesn't Hradek look like the type of guy who the Grim Reaper would absolutely trash back in the 90's for talking too much trash?  LOL

Yea, yea, I know....not nice. E.J. Hradek is actually pretty cool. I like his commentary, but still, thought this was funny.
They even did a skit between Hradek, Grimson, and Jackie Redmond where Redmond and Hradek showed clips of Grimson in his enforcer days....and Hradek promptly proceeded to move away from the Reaper....and go hide behind Jackie Redmon.

Good move, Hradek…..while Grimson may work YOU over, maybe even he won't do anything to Redmond, so you are safe behind her...… :bigteeth:

Also, the Ottawa Senators seem to be the NEW official doormat the NHL.
I have yet to see anything even remotely positive being said about this team heading into the season.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if they NEVER got favored odds with the bookies no matter how they faced.

I guess even Sabres fans now have another team they can laugh at, eh?   :rolleyes:

And one final thought to end my initial post here:

The Washington Capitals.

No SC hangover apparently......errrr, well we will see.
I know the Caps should still be good, but I do NOT think the Bruins were as bad as they made them look.
Maybe the Caps go and lose the next four, five, or six in a row when they crash back to reality before they straighten themselves out and look to try and repeat.

Who knows. Just game 1 of 82 and  am telling you all we will see some funky things go on over the course of the next two weeks...some of which will have some fans screaming the sky is falling, others having their fans think their team is better than what they really are.
Remember...EVERYONE is a Stanley Cup contender in October...……...errrr, except Ottawa....maybe Montreal too.... :biggrin:

On 10/5/2018 at 1:31 AM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Who knows. Just game 1 of 82 and  am telling you all we will see some funky things go on over the course of the next two weeks...some of which will have some fans screaming the sky is falling, others having their fans think their team is better than what they really are.
Remember...EVERYONE is a Stanley Cup contender in October...……...errrr, except Ottawa....maybe Montreal too.... :biggrin:

Oi! Habs has been doing decently so far! Minus Jonathan Drouin, no idea what's going on with him.

But have to admit, Sabres has surprised me so far. Just watched the Vegas - Sabres game, and man Vegas couldn't keep up.

Just wish Wild could wake up too. 🤨 Can't rely on Dubnyk standing on his head all the time.

1 minute ago, Lonkkis said:

Oi! Habs has been doing decently so far! Minus Jonathan Drouin, no idea what's going on with him.

But have to admit, Sabres has surprised me so far. Just watched the Vegas - Sabres game, and man Vegas couldn't keep up.

Just wish Wild could wake up too. 🤨 Can't rely on Dubnyk standing on his head all the time.

Meh....just wonky stuff that is typical of the first two weeks or so of any given season.
I mean, if you ask them now, Montreal fans will tell you they are competing for a playoff spot, Buffalo fans will tell you they can win the division and Wild fans will tell you..... oh wait....THAT one is kinda accurate right now! :lol:

Anyways, the first two are FALSE...
Montreal is tanking harder than an M1-Abrams mowing down Hossein's army, while the Sabres MAY compete for a final playoff spot, but be nowhere NEAR the top of the division after 82 games.

Point is, while some teams have looked fantastic and others cringe worthy right now, one can't put too much stock into the first two or three games for just about anyone.

Vegas does look pretty ordinary so far, but I don't expect that trend to continue. I do NOT believe they will be as good as last season (let's face it, that was a season for the ages for ANY expansion team...one that Seattle likely has no chance of matching), however, the Knights, with their roster, SHOULD be in the playoff conversation.

The Sharks are another team that has looked ordinary, but just wait till Karlsson acclimates himself to life without a Sens sweater on....

The Penguins have looked damned AWFUL defensively, and while the Pens usually don't have a great defense, they usually have a decent enough one and it will be offset by their offense anyways....they will be there at the end, IMO.

A team like the Wild?
I think they will be in the playoff conversation. Unfortunately, going beyond a first round again is very doubtful, unless certain players just have career years and the team stays healthy overall. Their division is the toughest in the league and they have two legit Cup contenders in Winnipeg and Nashville in there to have to deal with.

Minnesota lost two tough games (they skated right with Colorado and kept them off the board till the end when they went 'pull goalie crazy'....AND they were leading the WHOLE game against the Knights, till they forgot games are 60 minutes, not 50 or 55 minutes), and while I make NO excuses for the likes of the players that didn't step up or do their jobs, I think as a whole, the Wild will clean up certain areas of their game, and do just well enough to make the playoffs yet again...……. though probably not much more than that unless what I mentioned before happens.

Honestly, the beginning of the season is ALWAYS  a fun time because everything is so unpredictable, and EVERYONE thinks they got a shot.
Wait till after Halloween or for some others, around Thanksgiving, before some team fans realize they have a pretender ….or whether they have the real deal or not.
:VeryCool:

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Meh....just wonky stuff that is typical of the first two weeks or so of any given season.
I mean, if you ask them now, Montreal fans will tell you they are competing for a playoff spot, Buffalo fans will tell you they can win the division and Wild fans will tell you..... oh wait....THAT one is kinda accurate right now! :lol:

Anyways, the first two are FALSE...
Montreal is tanking harder than an M1-Abrams mowing down Hossein's army, while the Sabres MAY compete for a final playoff spot, but be nowhere NEAR the top of the division after 82 games.

Point is, while some teams have looked fantastic and others cringe worthy right now, one can't put too much stock into the first two or three games for just about anyone.

Vegas does look pretty ordinary so far, but I don't expect that trend to continue. I do NOT believe they will be as good as last season (let's face it, that was a season for the ages for ANY expansion team...one that Seattle likely has no chance of matching), however, the Knights, with their roster, SHOULD be in the playoff conversation.

The Sharks are another team that has looked ordinary, but just wait till Karlsson acclimates himself to life without a Sens sweater on....

The Penguins have looked damned AWFUL defensively, and while the Pens usually don't have a great defense, they usually have a decent enough one and it will be offset by their offense anyways....they will be there at the end, IMO.

A team like the Wild?
I think they will be in the playoff conversation. Unfortunately, going beyond a first round again is very doubtful, unless certain players just have career years and the team stays healthy overall. Their division is the toughest in the league and they have two legit Cup contenders in Winnipeg and Nashville in there to have to deal with.

Minnesota lost two tough games (they skated right with Colorado and kept them off the board till the end when they went 'pull goalie crazy'....AND they were leading the WHOLE game against the Knights, till they forgot games are 60 minutes, not 50 or 55 minutes), and while I make NO excuses for the likes of the players that didn't step up or do their jobs, I think as a whole, the Wild will clean up certain areas of their game, and do just well enough to make the playoffs yet again...……. though probably not much more than that unless what I mentioned before happens.

Honestly, the beginning of the season is ALWAYS  a fun time because everything is so unpredictable, and EVERYONE thinks they got a shot.
Wait till after Halloween or for some others, around Thanksgiving, before some team fans realize they have a pretender ….or whether they have the real deal or not.
:VeryCool:

Heh, don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting the Habs to reach the playoffs, nor the Sabres. It's just funny because as hard as I'm trying, I just can't remember the last time Sabres won a game during the first week. Maybe I'm getting old. 😁

And some of the Wild players to get their minds sorted. And others need to hand over the reigns if and when they do.

25 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Heh, don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting the Habs to reach the playoffs, nor the Sabres. It's just funny because as hard as I'm trying, I just can't remember the last time Sabres won a game during the first week. Maybe I'm getting old. 😁

And some of the Wild players to get their minds sorted. And others need to hand over the reigns if and when they do.

I'd have to look in history myself, as I seem to recall Buffalo always starting out at the bottom and usually staying there too.
Granted, my fandom goes back to only the mid 90's (I know lots of others here have twice that history in their portfolio!), so I DO remember some good Buffalo teams....though I can't remember quite how they started out.

The Sabres have a good thing they are building. Really.
Many on this site give them all kinds of crap (I do too!), but fact is, they are finally building something right. 
Question now becomes, how do they MANAGE those players moving forward AND does ownership over there have a long term vision for keeping them successful even beyond their current young crop of players.

That all said, they just are not ready, IMO, for prime time just yet.
I said they MAY compete for a playoff spot....I stand by that....but they will be in the mix with teams like Florida, New Jersey, Philadelphia, or even Carolina for wild card spots....no guarantees on anything for those guys.

Risto and Dahlin, on paper, are fantastic long term anchors on the blueline.....but they are so green still, they COULD be mistaken for someone's front lawn !  :ahappy:
I've often compared a guy like Ristolainen to TB's Victor Hedman………. Hedman really didn't come into his own (he started at age 18 in the NHL) until a good 4 or 5 years into his career! And even then, many people were like, "Yea, he is ok.."
And now he is a Norris caliber defenseman...…...but NOT without much heartache and growing pains...so much so, that at one point, some fans were labeling him a 'bust'!

I feel Ristolainen is on that track. He will have lots of downs to go with his ups, but in the end, he too can be a consistent elite type NHL defenseman...…. Dahlin MAY reach that faster.

The Wild really do need a "changing of the guard", even if its a slow phasing out of certain players.
Problem, of course, becomes, "Who?"

To be honest, whenever he is interviewed, whenever he is asked about the team, the ONE guy who always sounds like a leader, who sounds like a guy who really does care, who sounds like a guy is NOT satisfied with the status quo, is Nino Neidderreiter.
Really.
He may not be the Wild's best player in any facet of the game, but when his head is on right (and he isn't hurting from something), the guy really is a force on the ice.... he and Coyle play similarly, but I think the mean streak in Nino runs a bit deeper.

I really would like to see him have more of a voice in that Wild locker room and carry that over to the ice.
He is no longer that young guy languishing in Bridgeport for the Islanders, and is no longer just that guy traded for fan favorite Cal Clutterbuck (well, at least I LIKED Cal)….. he is now of the age and tenure on the Wild where he should be leading the way.

And despite some other vets on the team, I think the BEST way he can do that, is on the ice...…..forcing the coaching staff and management to acknowledge him as one of the lead players...…….

Wow...watching some of the pre-game of the Detroit-Anaheim game (this is the Ducks home opener), and they just announced the players NOT playing today, due to injury, for Anaheim....they are at the arena...wearing suits.

Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Ondrej Kase, Ryan Kesler, and Patrick Eaves.
Wow. 

That is almost an entire top six right there!

Yet the Ducks are 2-0 (yea, yea, that early season thing again), have elevated Adam Henrique to top line center, and will likely lean on Rickard Rakell and the defense to try and elevate other players around them.
Oh...and goalie John Gibson has been pretty good through the first pair of games too.

But how long can this team keep this up without at least two of those injured players back?
Hmmm....maybe for as long as teams like Vegas, San Jose, and maybe Los Angeles continue to play lethargically....

• 3 weeks later...

So here we are guys.... most teams have played around 10, 11 games into the season....some a couple less, some a hair more.

Still small sample sizes on the season, but some things seem to be rounding into shape at least a little bit.
The top of the Atlantic...yes, it DOES look like it will be contested between the Leafs, Lightning and Bruins as suspected.
The Canadiens are hanging around for now...they started off great....but I think as the season wears on, they will slowly sink a bit lower.

I will give them kudos though...their players HAVE played like a hungry team and they have Carey Price, who, when healthy (and it looks like he is right now) can keep ANY team in any game.

Buffalo will continue to hang around the playoff picture...they may even get a spot.

Over in the Metro, Penguins, Capitals and Blue Jackets...those SHOULD be your top three teams.  I expect New Jersey, maybe Philadelphia to hang around the wild card positions.
Carolina has been a bit of a surprise.....I thought they MIGHT compete preseason, but still thought of them as a long shot, but so far, they are proving me wrong and seem to play in such a way that it looks like this success may actually be sustainable...and they have stats backing them up.

Only problem I see with the Canes? Can they REALLY count on Petr Mrazek, Curtis McElhinney, or Scott Darling to hold them up all season?

In the Central...it is black n blue with some bloody red noses. No surprise here.
Nashville and Winnipeg should be at the top, but don't discount ANY team in this division from competing.
The only big  head scratcher here is St. Louis and to a lesser degree, Dallas.
Both those teams should be doing better.....of course, keeping in mind, small sample size on the season.... St. Louis though...whew....they better watch out...don't wanna fall too far behind....

Finally, the Pacific.
Everyone separated by just three points....everyone except Los Angeles who look like they have fallen off the map completely already!

I still expect the Sharks to be the top of this division, but the Knights, Oilers and Ducks (if they can stop the march to IR from their players and if John Gibson can continue to steal games for this team) should all remain competitive.
I don't know what to make of Calgary. Some days they look great, other days they look like bottom feeders.

What do ya'll think?
Standings are where they should be? Or some major changes are to come about?

Who will be the biggest absolute dosey doh shocker team to make the playoffs?

Connor McDavid.

I am not a big fan of overhyping ANY player.....but honestly, I don't think you can hype McDavid enough!
Been peeking in on quite a few Edmonton games lately and I can almost COUNT on seeing something special from him.

Whether its a fantastic goal, or setting one up, or skating by VERY GOOD NHL skaters like they were standing still.... or just so effortlessly pursuing another player with the puck, then neatly pick pocketing the guy, then turning the rest of the shift into the McDavid Variety Show...

Truly an amazing player.

And he isn't even a completely rounded player if you were to look at this FO% numbers.
But somehow, I don't even think that matters....

Still way too early to know much of anything yet.  We all know the 1st half the season's schedule is heavy on 'off days' and then has virtually no space between games in the Spring.  

Once we get past Thanksgiving...now you have some compelling trends.  

grot.jpg.960f07ffc1e6c64e0db977eef56fd198.jpg

Blame Gritty.

Yup.

The Flyers' season has gotten off to a rough start and some nights, it looks like this team has forgotten how to score.
I realize the Flyers are a borderline team at best to make the playoffs and they have issues on defense (mostly a youth issue, that can be fixed with experience), and MEGA issues in goal...…….but the team should at LEAST be putting up goals.

Gritty, the new team mascot, has been all the rage in Philly and has made international news between the US and Canada in just about every NHL market.
Fantastic.

Gritty is fun, he is energetic, some people might even say he adds personality to the Flyers who currently have the personality of their head coach, Dave Hakstol
Dave_Hakstol_2015.jpg.ff54b8f22833a1172852cb8ba8c3ed0b.jpg

Yep. Exactly. :bigteeth:

Still though, and especially for those who may be uber superstitious.... this whole Gritty thing may be bad luck.
Besides, doesn't look good when your mascot is named after something the team has lacked over the last few seasons, no? 

Sure, sure, I hear what you are thinking, "The mascot has NOTHING to do with the team's struggles!"
Maybe not, but at this point, Philadelphia has no answers..may as well blame the overhyped Gritty.

Or maybe have him play goal...…….. :shifty:

Steven Stamkos and Nikita Kucherov.

Look out, NHL.
After starting out somewhat sleepily (at least by their standards), it looks like both Stamkos and Kucherov of the Tampa Bay Lightning are starting to wake up and multi point games may be the norm for them moving forward. The team is 9-3-1 despite their relatively slow starts and despite missing Victor Hedman for the last several games... a testament to how truly deep the Lightning are.

San Jose Sharks.

Who says the Sharks' window for contention was closing with the departure of Patrick Marleau, the aging of Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski, and the sub par year for Brent Burns last season?

Sure...the Sharks would like to see their new big boy acquisition Erik Karlsson play more like the guy he has been throughout his career, but still, the team right now is at or near the top of their division and have guys like Evander Kane looking VERY comfortable in a Sharks sweater, Timo Meier having a nice coming of age season, and other guys like Kevin Labanc and Joonas Donskoi, while not spectacular, looking like young and/or in-their-prime players who could possibly continue to improve and help this team stay on top while the teams big boys get their act together.
And the team is still getting reasonably good goaltending as well from both Martin Jones and Aaron Dell.

I think the demise of the Sharks has been greatly exaggerated....

Philadelphia Flyers.

Can someone please stop pucks. Someone? Anyone?

Elliot? Neuvirth? Oh wait....Neuvirth isn't allowed visitors in the ICU ward.....
Pickard? I thought he could have been the sneaky answer...but apparently not.

Maybe it IS time for the Flyers to dig into the minor league system and just start giving one or two of their young netminders some starts.
Can't be any worse than the goaltending they are getting to this point. And yea, I realize you don't wanna "destroy" a young goalies confidence by putting them behind a Philly defense that is, shall we say, less-than-optimal?

Then again, most of the Flyer defenders are young players with good upside AND guys whom any young goaltender should eventually be playing with anyways......why not let them take their lumps together, grow as a team together, and possibly team bond that way?
Just sayin....

Alexander Wennberg of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Just what the %$#@ happened to THIS guy???
Not too long ago, he looked like an easy up n coming top six star player, expert passer, sneaky good scorer, and a face off pro.
These days, I sometimes forget he is even playing in the NHL!

He and Cam Atkinson made a tremendous pairing the last two seasons.... Atkinson continues to show signs of life....somewhat...but Wennberg?
Wow.....guy looks like he has truly fallen off the face of the Earth!
0 G, 6 measly assists, and a paltry 14 SOG through about a dozen games played....and a LOUSY sub 50% FOW percentage.
NOT the kind of numbers you want to see from a 24 yr old centerman who showed promise to be your 1C for years to come.

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

After starting out somewhat sleepily (at least by their standards), it looks like both Stamkos and Kucherov of the Tampa Bay Lightning are starting to wake up and multi point games may be the norm for them moving forward. The team is 9-3-1 despite their relatively slow starts and despite missing Victor Hedman for the last several games... a testament to how truly deep the Lightning are.

What's scary is Stamkos only has 4 goals to this point and the Lightning have 9 wins in 13 games.

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

What's scary is Stamkos only has 4 goals to this point and the Lightning have 9 wins in 13 games.

Exactly.
And both he and Kucherov were even "demoted" at points during the season to the 2nd line to try and shake things up. Stamkos was also put back on the wing where some argue he is BETTER at, though Stammer himself still fancies himself a top six centerman.

But the team continues to win, being led on by the likes of Brayden Point and the newest multi million dollar man Yanni Gourde up front, and the collective play of Ryan Mcdonagh, Anton Stralman, and even Braydon Coburn on defense.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that Andrei Vasilevskiy can be counted on to steal games whenever the Lightning AREN'T playing to their full potential on any given night.

But back to Stamkos, I was thinking the other day....how nice would it be for Stamkos to find DIFFERENT ways of scoring?
I mean, sure, he has a wicked one timer, but I think teams are EXPECTING that and stacking their defense for it.

You look at the top guys in the league like Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, John Tavares, Jamie Benn.... those guys can score from just about anywhere on the ice, in different ways (sniping, driving the net, or give n go's from either behind the net or during a rush)…. I think Stammer and his teammates need to devise ways that he does things a bit more unexpectedly.

If they can, not only will Stamkos' production numbers increase, but it could help his linemates and filter down to the 2nd or even 3rd lines because now the opposition is in disarray on exactly how to cover him and WHO to allocate to take care of his offense.

I know Stamkos works on other areas of his game (his FOW wins have improved a bit, and he does play a backchecking defensive game too complete with full on checks), but he is paid to light the lamp and lead the way in that area first and foremost.

I don't think he will ever hit 60 goals again in his career, but I will take a multi-faceted attack from him, maybe potting 35-40 annually with a boatload of assists to go with it, plus a solid defensive game on any given season!

• 4 weeks later...

So I assume its a done deal that Seattle has the next team?  No doubt some support from Portland and I wonder if Vancouver fans will jump on board a bit?  I cant see Vegas ever happening again, but given the rules they will be far better than the old Colorado Rockies or Cleveland Barons, but that is not saying much.  

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So I assume its a done deal that Seattle has the next team?  No doubt some support from Portland and I wonder if Vancouver fans will jump on board a bit?  I cant see Vegas ever happening again, but given the rules they will be far better than the old Colorado Rockies or Cleveland Barons, but that is not saying much.  

Yes, looks like Seattle is on schedule to join the NHL in two more seasons.
Word is, some sort of re-alignment may occur at that time as well due to Seattle being another Pacific team (it would give that division 9 teams vs 7 for the Central), but I guess the NHL should already be planning for that as well.

I just hope they don't go back to a bunch of smaller divisions because then, you will have weak division leaders getting into the playoffs.
Larger, deeper divisions is the way to go...that way, the cream will certainly rise to the top, while the awful teams flounder at the bottom where they should be.

And yes, I suspect Seattle will enjoy the same sorts of benefits Vegas had...perhaps some tweaks will be made, but one thing is for sure:
Players, GM's and Owners will be on edge once again as they realize that good players WILL be plucked from their rosters.

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yes, looks like Seattle is on schedule to join the NHL in two more seasons.
Word is, some sort of re-alignment may occur at that time as well due to Seattle being another Pacific team (it would give that division 9 teams vs 7 for the Central), but I guess the NHL should already be planning for that as well.

I just hope they don't go back to a bunch of smaller divisions because then, you will have weak division leaders getting into the playoffs.
Larger, deeper divisions is the way to go...that way, the cream will certainly rise to the top, while the awful teams flounder at the bottom where they should be.

And yes, I suspect Seattle will enjoy the same sorts of benefits Vegas had...perhaps some tweaks will be made, but one thing is for sure:
Players, GM's and Owners will be on edge once again as they realize that good players WILL be plucked from their rosters.

And I think that is wrong.  If you are an expansion team, you should be  a true expansion team and have to fight your way up

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And I think that is wrong.  If you are an expansion team, you should be  a true expansion team and have to fight your way up

Well...yes and no..

I mean, sure, teams should earn their way to a championship caliber and NOT have players handed to them...but at the same time, especially in this day and age when the consumer dollar is being contested for by various forms of entertainment (not the least of which are other pro sports leagues), you also want a competitive team....something that will actually draw fans...give them a reason to go to the games, buy the merchandise, and yes, as much as we hardcore fans hate the sounds of it, attract the "casual" or bandwagon fan as their money is just as legit as the hardcore fan's money.

So the league really doesn't want a team that is going to lose 50-60 games for five years, even though that is the old school earning your stripes way of doing it.
I think maybe some balance where a new expansion team has some competitive advantages, but perhaps allow the established franchises a couple more slots of protected players to help them keep what they rightfully earned...and that is developed or developing players that would be NHL assets for them they THEY PLANNED on to be part of their continued success.

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well...yes and no..

I mean, sure, teams should earn their way to a championship caliber and NOT have players handed to them...but at the same time, especially in this day and age when the consumer dollar is being contested for by various forms of entertainment (not the least of which are other pro sports leagues), you also want a competitive team....something that will actually draw fans...give them a reason to go to the games, buy the merchandise, and yes, as much as we hardcore fans hate the sounds of it, attract the "casual" or bandwagon fan as their money is just as legit as the hardcore fan's money.

So the league really doesn't want a team that is going to lose 50-60 games for five years, even though that is the old school earning your stripes way of doing it.
I think maybe some balance where a new expansion team has some competitive advantages, but perhaps allow the established franchises a couple more slots of protected players to help them keep what they rightfully earned...and that is developed or developing players that would be NHL assets for them they THEY PLANNED on to be part of their continued success.

Look at what my own Sabres had to go through to get back in the game.  They had to lose lose lose and for several years.  They had to lose on purpose to get Jack Eichel.  Bigger market teams sit there and talk about stealing Skinner already like these Flyer fans.  Let them lose for a while to see what its like. All of their gossip on a message forum does not mean its going to happen.  Its not. Seattle would likely get a guy like Svobotka from us.  And to me that is more than they deserve.  Vegas should be a lesson to the league that they got it wrong. I do not celebrate their trip to the finals. And I knew Washington would beat them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, back with another round of Blonde Thoughts in the NHL.....

The Vegas Golden Knights.

What they did last season may be an anomaly, but I think they are showing this season, that they at least are still quite a competitive bunch.
Sure, they aren't dominating like last season, but despite their slow start, they are right in the Pacific race and oftentimes show signs that they can still beat you by attacking in waves and playing just good ol basic defense...all the while MAF continues to act like he still needs to win just one more Stanley Cup.

In many ways, I say, "good for them" because it at least shows they weren't a one n done pony show last year that would now be a low tier team moving forward. Despite the unprecedented run they had, I'd like to think all that was as much skill and determination on their team as much as things "falling right" for them.

The New Jersey Devils.

Ironically, the team the Golden Knights are playing tonight...…...and whom the Knights are currently pasting 3-0 after just one period as I type this.
Look, I know hockey players are proud athletes and NO ONE wants to lose out there, but if there was any situation where the term "Lose for Hughes", the one the Devils find themselves in might just be one.

The goaltending in NJ is putrid, their depth is non existent, and the team, in watching some of their games, just looks like they go out there and HOPE to win...not determined that they can.
Not good for a team I though had the beginning of something good starting up last season.

Cory Schneider....holy hell, what happened to that guy!!??

The Arizona Coyotes.

Still a young team, still a team that is going to struggle, and a team that has some major players not in their lineup, not the least of which is Antii Raanta who, they say, may actually be done for the season.

That leaves Darcy Keumper and Adin Hill as the tandem in goal.
But wait, things don't have to be all bleak in the goaltending department.
Adin Hill, while Raanta AND Keumper were both out, had shown himself to be quite capable despite his young age and despite the fact that the team in front of him is still very much a work in progress.

But will Adin Hill get the chance to shine now that Darcy Keumper is back?

I realize former Wild Darcy was Raanta's backup, and that he is the "logical" guy to go in net if Raanta isn't available...but how do you move away from Hill who has made good showings of himself, while Keumper's only real claim to fame was that he "filled in admirably" for Devan Dubnyk in Minnesota...…….but still failing to grab the confidence of ANYONE because as well as he has played, he has also looked quite pedestrian on many occasions out there....both in Minny and now in Arizona.

Head coach Rick Tocchet was interviewed during a pre-game show the other day and he seemed to indicate Darcy was his guy.
Big mistake IMO....I'd put Hill in there, let him take his lumps a bit, but in the process, like he has already, he can show he has the skills to stick....and leave Keumper as the back up.... Darcy has had his NHL shots...never could take the reigns, and is still looking very average to below average currently in Arizona.
But I get the feeling Rick Tocchet isn't that sharp in looking ahead.... Hill should be his guy. Darcy can be a nice back up. Period.

And finally, I will conclude this round of rambling with.... Toronto vs Tampa Bay

Bolts drew first blood in what should be a year long battle for the top spot in the Atlantic...maybe even the Conference....in beating Toronto pretty convincingly yesterday by a 4-1 margin.
Media hype aside for the Leafs, I still think the Lightning are the more complete team, deeper, and more playoff ready than the Leafs who are JUST NOW (starting with last season) starting to shape into a legit contender.

The Bolts built up over a period of time, have come close on a few occasions, but ultimately ended up losing to the best over the last several seasons (Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington), so I think they paid their "dues" while the Leafs still have a balance to pay in the NHL playoffs...

And yea, I am a Lightning fan, so my opinions may come off as biased....but that doesn't change the fact that the Lightning are a legit Cup contender and STILL ahead of the Maple Leafs in terms of competitive readiness with an eye on the biggest prize in hockey.
Furthermore, the Lightning, despite some cap issues, have managed to carefully navigate that, and while they sill may lose some promising players due to the cap, are still built quite well to maintain their Stanley Cup edge...…….can the Leafs at this time say that?  I think not....

Still though, a long season to go, and this was just the first meeting where TB beat Toronto.
I am not discounting the Leafs at all...…..they have a very good squad. No doubt.
But I also don't buy into the media hype that has the Leafs as one of the top Cup contenders currently skating on NHL ice...aside from the Bolts, I can think of at LEAST five more teams I'd put ahead of them even now.....

Just got done watching the Arizona-NY Rangers game.... the Yotes, down 3-0 at one point, come all the way back and beat NY 4-3 in OT.
A stat was shown that the Rangers lead the league in losing leads of two or more in the third, and they just added to it!
What a game this was though! 
Ulcer inducing for the coaching staffs, but hella fun for a spectator!

And as an addendum to my previous post about the Coyotes, it was ADIN FREAKIN HILL in net for Arizona!
You paying attention Rick Tocchet… Adin Hill. Not Darcy "Back Up" Keumper….. Hill...dammit.

Sure, he gave up three relatively quick goals, but that was more because the team in front of him was allowing ridiculous chances AND they came on the PP.

But if not for Hill, this game could have easily been about 6-0 NY by the third.

Hopefully, Tocchet shows he is true head coach material, has a talk with Darcy, and makes Hill the starter.
I realize he isn't known as the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even HE has to realize that Hill is no flash in the pan this season!

• 1 month later...

Views of the divisions... the Entering the All Star Break Edition.
Going East to West....

The Metro Division

Wow.
Has this thing heated up at the top.
As I type this, 1st place NY Islanders (!) and 4th place Pittsburgh are separated by 2 thin points....with Washington and Columbus sitting 2nd and 3rd respectively.

I expected the Jackets, Caps, and Pens to be up there....but the Islanders? Oh yea... Barry Trotz has his guys playing workmanlike hockey, and what he lacks in big name superstars, he more than makes up for in complete team play, gritty performances up n down the lineup, and damned good goaltending anchored by Robin Flippin Lehner of all people!

Quite a ways to go, but honestly, I don't expect this situation to change much. These 4 teams should go right down to the wire....maybe all 4 get in the post season.
Everyone else below them, barring some major run coupled with a collapse from the top 4, just best start looking towards next season.
Shame for some of those teams too.  Carolina showed promise early on, and NJ showed promise last season and I felt, should have been in a better standing this go round.

The Atlantic Division.

Alright. The Tampa Bay Lightning are running away with this thing...and probably on pace to easily capture the President's Trophy. 
While that is nice, I think we all know winning the Prez Trophy ensures NOTHING. Still though, if you are TB, you are not going to start LOSING games just so you WON'T win it, right? Right.

That said, TB's challenge will be to stay interested enough in the rest of the regular season to NOT be flat come the post season. 

That actually shouldn't be too hard to do (stay interested) seeing as how this bunch has come close to winning it all, but coming up short against eventual Cup winners....I'd certainly be motivated....I can only hope the Bolts are as well.

As for the rest of the division, right now it is a fight for position between the Maple Leafs, Bruins, Canadiens (whoa..another surprise), and not too far off are those wacky Buffalo Sabres.

The Florida Panthers are a bit further down the ladder, but for some strange reason, I don't count them out yet. That team has this nasty habit of being in races they have no business being in, winning games they have no business winning, and playing off the fact that many underestimate them!
Maybe because their arena is so empty all the time, it is EASY for them to keep their secrets! :bigteeth:
Oh...and they did get Vincent Trocheck back....he is one of the straws that stirs that particular Miami cocktail..... watch your six, Buffalo...

The Central Division

I long thought this to be the toughest of the four divisions, but now seeing how things are playing out, the division, as a whole, looks rather unremarkable!
Really...its come down to Nashville vs Winnipeg for the top spot....and everyone else can fight for the rest....well, everyone except Chicago, who are last and look on pace to stay there.

St. Louis was supposed to be good this season, but have fallen woefully short...the Wild look mediocre most nights, with some good games in there, just not enough to make me want to say they have a shot at much.... the Stars are battling being a one line team, consistency, and their CEO's approval...a tough combo to fight off for sure.... and the Avs are also a one line team (a fantastic one for sure), but until this team gets some good secondary scoring, they too, remain a middling pick to get very far.

The Pacific Division

Looks like it is a three horse race for the top of the division (Calgary, San Jose and defending Western Champs, Las Vegas), while the Ducks and Oilers battle to stay afloat in the wild card picture.

The Canucks show up on the radar, but honestly, I think they are only there because teams like the aforementioned Anaheim and Edmonton, still in the WC picture themselves, are playing so poorly most nights.

The Yotes and Kings are too far down the ladder with not enough offensive punch, IMO, to make any real pushes towards the post season.

Arizona, however, has some promise with a decent defense, some good young players mixed in with some young vets and a nice goalie prospect in Adin Hill, that if the team can get ANY kind of offensive consistency, can maybe move on up come next season.

LA just looks slow, old, and outside of maybe a healthy Jonathan Quick and a still mean Drew Doughty, just don't have much to hang their hat on this year...and possibly moving forward.

The Calgary Flames are probably the biggest surprise in this division...not because they are in the playoff hunt, but because of how dominant they have looked in many games this season.
Who would have thought the combination of Mike Smith and David Rittich would be enough to anchor this fast playing, tough Calgary club?  Not I.... and Mark Giordano is BOSS!  

Archived