Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
TropicalFruitGirl26

2018-19 NHL General Season Thread Talk

1757608901_NHLSeason.jpg.a2f7946493bcd1efeaf3258176715e84.jpg

Figured I'd have a thread for just general discussion of ANY NHL team as the season wears on.
Sometimes we have thoughts that don't necessarily require an entire thread, so this thread would be a good place to put them.

If any topics here are good enough for their own threads, by all means, go and make one.
But here, we will stick to one-offs, observations, or just short commentary on the state of the NHL and its teams as they navigate this new campaign...and topics here can range wildly....errrr, no pun intended... :shifty:

I will start with this:

HRADEK-GRIMSON.jpg.b85e7d3e51075ef04d8c236f25714e52.jpg

Watching NHL Network earlier today, and took a candid shot of my tv screen showing EJ Hradek and former enforcer Stu 'The Grim Reaper' Grimson.
Now, this may sound mean, but doesn't Hradek look like the type of guy who the Grim Reaper would absolutely trash back in the 90's for talking too much trash?  LOL

Yea, yea, I know....not nice. E.J. Hradek is actually pretty cool. I like his commentary, but still, thought this was funny.
They even did a skit between Hradek, Grimson, and Jackie Redmond where Redmond and Hradek showed clips of Grimson in his enforcer days....and Hradek promptly proceeded to move away from the Reaper....and go hide behind Jackie Redmon.

Good move, Hradek…..while Grimson may work YOU over, maybe even he won't do anything to Redmond, so you are safe behind her...… :bigteeth:

Also, the Ottawa Senators seem to be the NEW official doormat the NHL.
I have yet to see anything even remotely positive being said about this team heading into the season.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if they NEVER got favored odds with the bookies no matter how they faced.

I guess even Sabres fans now have another team they can laugh at, eh?   :rolleyes:

And one final thought to end my initial post here:

The Washington Capitals.

No SC hangover apparently......errrr, well we will see.
I know the Caps should still be good, but I do NOT think the Bruins were as bad as they made them look.
Maybe the Caps go and lose the next four, five, or six in a row when they crash back to reality before they straighten themselves out and look to try and repeat.

Who knows. Just game 1 of 82 and  am telling you all we will see some funky things go on over the course of the next two weeks...some of which will have some fans screaming the sky is falling, others having their fans think their team is better than what they really are.
Remember...EVERYONE is a Stanley Cup contender in October...……...errrr, except Ottawa....maybe Montreal too.... :biggrin:

Awards

On 10/5/2018 at 1:31 AM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Who knows. Just game 1 of 82 and  am telling you all we will see some funky things go on over the course of the next two weeks...some of which will have some fans screaming the sky is falling, others having their fans think their team is better than what they really are.
Remember...EVERYONE is a Stanley Cup contender in October...……...errrr, except Ottawa....maybe Montreal too.... :biggrin:

Oi! Habs has been doing decently so far! Minus Jonathan Drouin, no idea what's going on with him.

But have to admit, Sabres has surprised me so far. Just watched the Vegas - Sabres game, and man Vegas couldn't keep up.

Just wish Wild could wake up too. 🤨 Can't rely on Dubnyk standing on his head all the time.

1 minute ago, Lonkkis said:

Oi! Habs has been doing decently so far! Minus Jonathan Drouin, no idea what's going on with him.

But have to admit, Sabres has surprised me so far. Just watched the Vegas - Sabres game, and man Vegas couldn't keep up.

Just wish Wild could wake up too. 🤨 Can't rely on Dubnyk standing on his head all the time.

Meh....just wonky stuff that is typical of the first two weeks or so of any given season.
I mean, if you ask them now, Montreal fans will tell you they are competing for a playoff spot, Buffalo fans will tell you they can win the division and Wild fans will tell you..... oh wait....THAT one is kinda accurate right now! :lol:

Anyways, the first two are FALSE...
Montreal is tanking harder than an M1-Abrams mowing down Hossein's army, while the Sabres MAY compete for a final playoff spot, but be nowhere NEAR the top of the division after 82 games.

Point is, while some teams have looked fantastic and others cringe worthy right now, one can't put too much stock into the first two or three games for just about anyone.

Vegas does look pretty ordinary so far, but I don't expect that trend to continue. I do NOT believe they will be as good as last season (let's face it, that was a season for the ages for ANY expansion team...one that Seattle likely has no chance of matching), however, the Knights, with their roster, SHOULD be in the playoff conversation.

The Sharks are another team that has looked ordinary, but just wait till Karlsson acclimates himself to life without a Sens sweater on....

The Penguins have looked damned AWFUL defensively, and while the Pens usually don't have a great defense, they usually have a decent enough one and it will be offset by their offense anyways....they will be there at the end, IMO.

A team like the Wild?
I think they will be in the playoff conversation. Unfortunately, going beyond a first round again is very doubtful, unless certain players just have career years and the team stays healthy overall. Their division is the toughest in the league and they have two legit Cup contenders in Winnipeg and Nashville in there to have to deal with.

Minnesota lost two tough games (they skated right with Colorado and kept them off the board till the end when they went 'pull goalie crazy'....AND they were leading the WHOLE game against the Knights, till they forgot games are 60 minutes, not 50 or 55 minutes), and while I make NO excuses for the likes of the players that didn't step up or do their jobs, I think as a whole, the Wild will clean up certain areas of their game, and do just well enough to make the playoffs yet again...……. though probably not much more than that unless what I mentioned before happens.

Honestly, the beginning of the season is ALWAYS  a fun time because everything is so unpredictable, and EVERYONE thinks they got a shot.
Wait till after Halloween or for some others, around Thanksgiving, before some team fans realize they have a pretender ….or whether they have the real deal or not.
:VeryCool:

Awards

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Meh....just wonky stuff that is typical of the first two weeks or so of any given season.
I mean, if you ask them now, Montreal fans will tell you they are competing for a playoff spot, Buffalo fans will tell you they can win the division and Wild fans will tell you..... oh wait....THAT one is kinda accurate right now! :lol:

Anyways, the first two are FALSE...
Montreal is tanking harder than an M1-Abrams mowing down Hossein's army, while the Sabres MAY compete for a final playoff spot, but be nowhere NEAR the top of the division after 82 games.

Point is, while some teams have looked fantastic and others cringe worthy right now, one can't put too much stock into the first two or three games for just about anyone.

Vegas does look pretty ordinary so far, but I don't expect that trend to continue. I do NOT believe they will be as good as last season (let's face it, that was a season for the ages for ANY expansion team...one that Seattle likely has no chance of matching), however, the Knights, with their roster, SHOULD be in the playoff conversation.

The Sharks are another team that has looked ordinary, but just wait till Karlsson acclimates himself to life without a Sens sweater on....

The Penguins have looked damned AWFUL defensively, and while the Pens usually don't have a great defense, they usually have a decent enough one and it will be offset by their offense anyways....they will be there at the end, IMO.

A team like the Wild?
I think they will be in the playoff conversation. Unfortunately, going beyond a first round again is very doubtful, unless certain players just have career years and the team stays healthy overall. Their division is the toughest in the league and they have two legit Cup contenders in Winnipeg and Nashville in there to have to deal with.

Minnesota lost two tough games (they skated right with Colorado and kept them off the board till the end when they went 'pull goalie crazy'....AND they were leading the WHOLE game against the Knights, till they forgot games are 60 minutes, not 50 or 55 minutes), and while I make NO excuses for the likes of the players that didn't step up or do their jobs, I think as a whole, the Wild will clean up certain areas of their game, and do just well enough to make the playoffs yet again...……. though probably not much more than that unless what I mentioned before happens.

Honestly, the beginning of the season is ALWAYS  a fun time because everything is so unpredictable, and EVERYONE thinks they got a shot.
Wait till after Halloween or for some others, around Thanksgiving, before some team fans realize they have a pretender ….or whether they have the real deal or not.
:VeryCool:

Heh, don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting the Habs to reach the playoffs, nor the Sabres. It's just funny because as hard as I'm trying, I just can't remember the last time Sabres won a game during the first week. Maybe I'm getting old. 😁

And some of the Wild players to get their minds sorted. And others need to hand over the reigns if and when they do.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Heh, don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting the Habs to reach the playoffs, nor the Sabres. It's just funny because as hard as I'm trying, I just can't remember the last time Sabres won a game during the first week. Maybe I'm getting old. 😁

And some of the Wild players to get their minds sorted. And others need to hand over the reigns if and when they do.

I'd have to look in history myself, as I seem to recall Buffalo always starting out at the bottom and usually staying there too.
Granted, my fandom goes back to only the mid 90's (I know lots of others here have twice that history in their portfolio!), so I DO remember some good Buffalo teams....though I can't remember quite how they started out.

The Sabres have a good thing they are building. Really.
Many on this site give them all kinds of crap (I do too!), but fact is, they are finally building something right. 
Question now becomes, how do they MANAGE those players moving forward AND does ownership over there have a long term vision for keeping them successful even beyond their current young crop of players.

That all said, they just are not ready, IMO, for prime time just yet.
I said they MAY compete for a playoff spot....I stand by that....but they will be in the mix with teams like Florida, New Jersey, Philadelphia, or even Carolina for wild card spots....no guarantees on anything for those guys.

Risto and Dahlin, on paper, are fantastic long term anchors on the blueline.....but they are so green still, they COULD be mistaken for someone's front lawn !  :ahappy:
I've often compared a guy like Ristolainen to TB's Victor Hedman………. Hedman really didn't come into his own (he started at age 18 in the NHL) until a good 4 or 5 years into his career! And even then, many people were like, "Yea, he is ok.."
And now he is a Norris caliber defenseman...…...but NOT without much heartache and growing pains...so much so, that at one point, some fans were labeling him a 'bust'!

I feel Ristolainen is on that track. He will have lots of downs to go with his ups, but in the end, he too can be a consistent elite type NHL defenseman...…. Dahlin MAY reach that faster.

The Wild really do need a "changing of the guard", even if its a slow phasing out of certain players.
Problem, of course, becomes, "Who?"

To be honest, whenever he is interviewed, whenever he is asked about the team, the ONE guy who always sounds like a leader, who sounds like a guy who really does care, who sounds like a guy is NOT satisfied with the status quo, is Nino Neidderreiter.
Really.
He may not be the Wild's best player in any facet of the game, but when his head is on right (and he isn't hurting from something), the guy really is a force on the ice.... he and Coyle play similarly, but I think the mean streak in Nino runs a bit deeper.

I really would like to see him have more of a voice in that Wild locker room and carry that over to the ice.
He is no longer that young guy languishing in Bridgeport for the Islanders, and is no longer just that guy traded for fan favorite Cal Clutterbuck (well, at least I LIKED Cal)….. he is now of the age and tenure on the Wild where he should be leading the way.

And despite some other vets on the team, I think the BEST way he can do that, is on the ice...…..forcing the coaching staff and management to acknowledge him as one of the lead players...…….

Awards

Posted (edited)

Wow...watching some of the pre-game of the Detroit-Anaheim game (this is the Ducks home opener), and they just announced the players NOT playing today, due to injury, for Anaheim....they are at the arena...wearing suits.

Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Ondrej Kase, Ryan Kesler, and Patrick Eaves.
Wow. 

That is almost an entire top six right there!

Yet the Ducks are 2-0 (yea, yea, that early season thing again), have elevated Adam Henrique to top line center, and will likely lean on Rickard Rakell and the defense to try and elevate other players around them.
Oh...and goalie John Gibson has been pretty good through the first pair of games too.

But how long can this team keep this up without at least two of those injured players back?
Hmmm....maybe for as long as teams like Vegas, San Jose, and maybe Los Angeles continue to play lethargically....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Awards

Crazy stat of the day. With a victory Monday, the Buffalo Sabres have a winning record for the first time since January 25th 2013...that's 2081 days.

3 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Crazy stat of the day. With a victory Monday, the Buffalo Sabres have a winning record for the first time since January 25th 2013...that's 2081 days.

Or 5 years.  Get used to it.