Would you Suspend for this late hit by Byfuglien?

hf101

Would you Suspend this late hit by Byfuglien?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What if any supplementary discipline should be assessed to Byfuglien

• Suspension
    • Fine
    • Nothing

Interesting chain of events in Winnipeg last night vs Dallas as things got a little chippy.   Big Buff hits Connor Carrick from behind after the whistle with what looks like an illegal hit.  No penalty was assessed for the late hit.  You be the judge though should the League assess Byfuglien with a suspension, fine or nothing?  

• hf101 changed the title to Would you Suspend for this late hit by Byfuglien?

Honestly, I think you have to. You heard the whistle go. It could be checking from behind or boarding. I didn't see, but is Carrick hurt? I think a fine or a couple game suspension is needed. I'm down with the rough stuff after the whistle, but that was a penalty during play if you ask me.

Eh, I'd let it go, a fine is okay if you really have to punish him. You can see Buff noticing Carrick going after Sheiffele, so he decides to cover his teammate. Was it a bit ugly? Sure, Buff is a big guy after all. But I'm willing to bet that he wouldn't have done anything if Carrick hadn't decided to go and try to rough up Sheiffele.

But if you give him a suspension, what message do you send to the players? "Defend your teammate and you get a suspension"? Star players get enough crap on the ice as it is, take away their last line of "defense" and you'll see the likes of Sheiffele, McDavid and Crosby etc with longtime injuries.

Rough plays have existed in sports for an eternity, and will continue to do so, because we're only humans. Emotions and all that.

I voted for a fine, kind of shocked that no penalty was called. It was a text book cross check.

That was a crappy play, that said, Buff was covering for his guy so, I can see some team building going on there.

Nick Ritchie held his own against Lowery, that was a pretty good hockey fight. 

Archived