Game 4: Flyers at Ottawa 10/10/18 7:30 pm

OccamsRazor

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also it is good to see some more emotion from Hak behind the bench...

giphy.gif

Pickard with a good early save...

giphy.gif

And who knew sniper Hagg tied for 3rd on the team with Jake with 2 goals (1 GWer) on the season...

giphy.gif

And finally the Captain gets on the board...

giphy.gif

Now Pickard has as many wins as Elliott...bring on the goalie controversy...

giphy.gif

Go Flyers!!!!!!!!!

Good to be home for a week and sleep in their beds. Get some practice yall need it.

Vegas will be looking for revenge saturday and then Panthers next tuesday.

54 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

First reports i seen last night was he was concussed...but i don't see his head hit anything here.

Maybe a shoulder??

I think it may have been the high stick from earlier in the game. It hit him pretty flush on the cheek.  I just don't see anything on this play.

1 minute ago, albertaflyer said:

I think it may have been the high stick from earlier in the game. It hit him pretty flush on the cheek.  I just don't see anything on this play.

So on this play. Doesn't look that bad and he kept playing which doesn't mean nothing was wrong...

giphy.gif

Could be. I still haven't seen any confirmation on anything yet.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Had bad is Folin that they would rather put out a broke down Mcturd out there than play this guy. They really need to just cut bait with Folin and find a vet who can help and actually play.

The problem is that MacDonald is considered the "vet" on this team and would never lose his job to Folin, even if Folin deserves it.  You're right that they net a solid vet and make MacDonald the 7th dman.  Should have happened at some point in the past.

Patrick got banged around a few times.  Neither of those hits looks like a concussion-type hit, though.  I wonder if the high stick got him somewhere around the eye.

It was nice to see the offense kick in again last night. 

The good news is that we're scoring 4 goals per game through 4 games. 

The bad news is that we're giving up 4.75 goals per game through 4 games, including 2 SHG. 

Our PK has picked up right where it left off (68%, 25th). Our PP is middle of the pack (25%, 15th). Still early, obviously, but the PK absolutely needs to get better if the Flyers want to be a competitive team.

I liked Lehtera and Laughton's game last night. Weise played well too. 

Even so, the Sens dominated us 5v5 even if we outscored them 3-1. They also had the better Corsi (53% to 47%) and had more high danger chances (10 vs 8).

Pickard was ok - I thought he looked no better or worse than Elliott in his first 2 games. 

I would consider shaking up the defensive pairings, because that is definitely a weakness. The only guy playing top level hockey is Ghost, even if he comes with some risk... his contributions strongly outweigh his gaffes. 

Provorov/Sanheim

Ghost/Hagg

Gudas/MacDonald

Flyers-SEns-Corsi.JPG

RE: Patrick

If that stick caught him around the orbital bones (there's a lot of bones that come together and overlap in the eye socket/high cheek area)

he could literally have a broken face. 

Also after taking that shot where there was contact and then the coup contrecoup motion that followed on the check, he could have sustained a concussion there.

I hope for his sake it's neither of those things. 

We won, but I'm not really sure we should have. Which is fair of course. That's just how hockey works. There's a substantial amount of luck involved. 

On the one hand, Ottawa isn't exactly a great team by any yardstick I can find. If we are meant to take some sort of step forward this year, this really should have been a fairly decisive victory. I don't feel like it was.

The good:

Gudas played well again. He's really come around so far this year in fact. Hagg chipping in on offence is good to see as well. Both those guys have more offensive skill than they usually show, so it's nice to see them working at it a bit.

Ghost was our best dman and possibly best player overall. This is good. I remember him being very shaky vs Vegas in game one. I'm glad to see he's picking up again. Not surprised, but happy.

Provo seems to be struggling with a lack of confidence or something. I hope he shakes it off. Given how good he was for us last year, he deserves a long leash while he sorts through things.

Jake had his best game in a very long time. Not only did he put up points, he actually seemed somewhat in control of his actions. Most of the time it feels like Jake with the puck is like a coin toss. He seemed confident and capable in this one. Having Giroux around likely helps with this, but he deserves cred for a good game.

The less good:

Lindblom was okay, but he's not showing top six skill yet. With JVR out, this is his chance to show he can play at that level. I hope he's capable of doing so.

Patrick going down is bad obviously. That said, Vorobyev has been our second best center this year by a decent margin. I can imagine a situation where he takes the 2C role and doesn't give it up even when Patrick comes back.

Our PK continues to be awful. This is a systems issue 100% and needs to be fixed with a coaching change at this point. The fact this wasn't addressed properly in the off season by Hexy is frustrating. There's no sense mincing words about it. There is nothing to suggest this roster should be so bad at the PK year in and out. They're poorly coached and have a bad PK system. Find a new PK coach. Full stop.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

'm thinking it's a shoulder. Which sucks for the kid.

Well if we’re gonna have injuries, I guess I’d prefer to have them front loaded. 

Meanwhile, we can all watch Pettersson and dream about what could have been :D

This is my favourite thing about the game last night. Standing up for Lindblom the whole game, and it started with an authoritative cross check from Lehtera. 

That made the game so much better. 

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

This is my favourite thing about the game last night. Standing up for Lindblom the whole game, and it started with an authoritative cross check from Lehtera. 

I say next game vs. Sens let's dress Goulbourne and turn him loose...he can maybe improve the PK too...maybe...

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

Also with this issue is now that goonery has pretty much let the players police it but please please the only way it works is to get rid of the instigator rule...do this and the players taking matters into their own hands can work.

Archived