Wild vs. Blackhawks 10/11/18 @ 7:00PM CST at the X

CreaseAndAssist

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IllaZilla said:

Not sure. Smells like pear, and there is pear on the back end, but there’s a wierd taste in the middle. It was my first attempt and it was only a gallon, so I’m not too upset. 

Fermenting time possibly. Being a light flavor to begin with the time it ferments is pretty critical. My dad used to make wine too and if he miscalculated when to 'work it' or a tad too much sugar, or not enough and the flavor wouldn't seem right. That was some 40 years ago and he made 5 gallons at a time... I'm not sure if how they make it today compared to years back, by starting out with a big pail, then syphoning it several times over different aging cycles.

Just now, rottenrefs said:

Fermenting time possibly. Being a light flavor to begin with the time it ferments is pretty critical. My dad used to make wine too and if he miscalculated when to 'work it' or a tad too much sugar, or not enough and the flavor wouldn't seem right. That was some 40 years ago and he made 5 gallons at a time... I'm not sure if how they make it today compared to years back, by starting out with a big pail, then syphoning it several times over different aging cycles.

Could have been the pears too. I used Anjou. But almost all recipes I read after I started said to use Bartlett. I may try again this Winter and see what happens. 

Making it it is still the same. I’m using a one gallon kit until I get the hang of it. But all my dad’s stuff is five gallons fermenting pail and five gallon carboys...

He used to make plum wine, but he cheated sometimes fortifying the wine with Kirschwasser...

1 minute ago, IllaZilla said:

Could have been the pears too. I used Anjou. But almost all recipes I read after I started said to use Bartlett. I may try again this Winter and see what happens. 

Making it it is still the same. I’m using a one gallon kit until I get the hang of it. But all my dad’s stuff is five gallons fermenting pail and five gallon carboys...

He used to make plum wine, but he cheated sometimes fortifying the wine with Kirschwasser...

Yep, sounds familiar.

Most the time my dad got too eager and greedy (too much sugar.) lol

The very best batch was cherry wine, it was tremendous. Otherwise a fallback wine that never failed was cranberry. He never had much luck with white wines. They were okay but nothing to get too excited about.

Going back years my grandmother (his mom) was (I never knew this) very good at making brandy. Old granny... OMG. My cousin when he was about 15, snuck a bottle and they found him passed out in a tree hours later. One of his shoes was off. They left him there. Some 40 minutes later he came in all scratched up. Asking what happened he said he fell out of a tree. 🤣 

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Well kids, I’d stick around here if I didn’t have to leave at Oh-dark-thirty for a five hour drive to Grand Forks. 

Hopefully the boys can find another gear and pull out a win. 

Night all!

good night

Archived