Game 5: Knights at Flyers; 10/13 @ 1 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

We are showing as fairly heavy favorites for this game:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/vegas-philadelphia-odds-october-13-2018-1020065

VGK is off to a slow start (1-4), which may have something to do with that.  On our side, the question is which version of Flyers show up: The Shark version or the Ottawa one?  I also wonder if Mr. Pickard is between the pipes or does Hak go back to his "starter?" I suspect we will have more line juggling with Patrick's absence.  This could be high scoring shoot 'em out. 

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

VGK is off to a slow start (1-4), which may have something to do with that.  On our side, the question is which version of Flyers show up: The Shark version or the Ottawa one?  I also wonder if Mr. Pickard is between the pipes or does Hak go back to his "starter?" I suspect we will have more line juggling with Patrick's absence.  This could be high scoring shoot 'em out. 

It would be awesome if VGK turned into a pumpkin after the clock struck 12 in the SCF last year.  Maybe this year they will experience what should have been their actual welcome to the league losing, I doubt that though as they have too much talent to be this bad.  Likely it is a hangover from losing the Cup the year before.

I'm taking my 8 year old son who has a mites game in Mt. Laurel at 7:40 AM.  I'll be tired an crabby so the Flyers better do a 180 at home and actually show up for this game

21 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

It would be awesome if VGK turned into a pumpkin after the clock struck 12 in the SCF last year. 

They have haven't they??? Have lost 3 straight.

Believe it or not they miss James Neal, Perron (41 goals) and Sbisa for depth.

And it looks as if William Karlsson (43 last year) has returned to earth....yet to have scored a goal this year.

MAF has returned to form too 3.94 gaa and a 846% to boot....yes i say they have turned into a big fat pumpkin!!!

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They have haven't they??? Have lost 3 straight.

Believe it or not they miss James Neal, Perron (41 goals) and Sbisa for depth.

And it looks as if William Karlsson (43 last year) has returned to earth....yet to have scored a goal this year.

MAF has returned to form too 3.94 gaa and a 846% to boot....yes i say they have turned into a big fat pumpkin!!!

I am cautiously optimistic in what I have seen so far however it is early and they still have plenty of time to turn things around.  If they continue to sink low though I will be thrilled because besides the Flyers sucking last year their trip to the SCF in their first frigging year of existence was the second most nauseating thing to me about last year.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well this ain't good.

Bro what the f**k is going on in Philly???

Last night the Eagles lose both tackles Johnson and Peters and the Flyers now have guys dropping like flies....

Ugh. This is not good!

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

dd9.jpeg

Philly is just a huge M.A.S.H. unit....

Someone said on reddit that this all Weal's doing.  He is systematically taking out players in order to ensure himself a place in the starting lineup.  Makes sense.

a high scoring shoot out might be the only way we can consistently win games at the moment until our defense and PK improve. years of careful analysis has led me to believe that if we don't score more goals than the other team, we usually end up losing. 

Well the good news is Weal should get a chance...and if he doesn't seize it them it should be his last.

Send him to the Phantoms and give another kid a chance he is 26 and will just be an AHLer or move him if you can.

PROJECTED LINEUPS (Subject to change)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier -93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 40 Jordan Weal -11 Travis Konecny (?)
21 Scott Laughton- 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 17 Wayne Simmonds
22 Dale Weise -15 Jori Lehterä -12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Radko Gudas 
6 Travis Sanheim - 47 Andrew MacDonald

37 Brian Elliott
[33 Calvin Pickard]

Scratches: 26 Christian Folin (healthy), 19 Nolan Patrick (upper body), 25 James van Riemsdyk (IR, lower body), 30 Michal Neuvirth (IR, lower body), 38 Corban Knight (IR, upper body), 5 Sam Morin (ACL surgery).

GOLDEN KNIGHTS

81 Jonathan Marchessault - 71 William Karlsson - 19 Reilly Smith
67 Max Pacioretty - 26 Paul Stastny - 56 Erik Haula
92 Tomas Nosek - 40 Ryan Carpener - 24 Oscar Lindberg
28 William Carrier - 41 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 75 Ryan Reaves

3 Brayden McNabb - 6 Colin Miller
27 Shea Theodore - 5 Deryk Engelland
15 Jon Merrill - 22 Nick Holden

29 Marc-Andre Fleury
[30 Malcolm Subban]

Scratches: 38 Tomas Hyka (healthy), 77 Brad Hunt (healthy), 21 Cody Eakin (IR), 89 Alex Tuch (IR), 88 Nate Schmidt (NHL suspension).

If Konecny can’t go, are we just going with 11 forwards? Hextall said Knight wasn’t quite ready either. 

And interesting that Hak would go with Hagg / Gudas after saying he didn’t like that pairing last year. Honestly, they’ve been much better this year, so maybe he’s ok with it now. 

I’ve finally reached the point where I don’t understand what goes through Hak’s mind anymore. Took me long enough lol. I think it was the Gudas scratch for Folin. Made no sense after a win, and the Flyers paid for it. 

If Hakstol makes it to the end of the season, he will be the 2nd longest tenured coach in Flyers history behind only Shero. That’s crazy! He’d need 3 more seasons to pass him. 

His .573 winning percentage is 11th of 19 coaches. Decidedly mediocre. 

I think this is a make or break season for Hak. 

32 minutes ago, brelic said:

If Konecny can’t go, are we just going with 11 forwards? Hextall said Knight wasn’t quite ready either. 

And interesting that Hak would go with Hagg / Gudas after saying he didn’t like that pairing last year. Honestly, they’ve been much better this year, so maybe he’s ok with it now. 

I’ve finally reached the point where I don’t understand what goes through Hak’s mind anymore. Took me long enough lol. I think it was the Gudas scratch for Folin. Made no sense after a win, and the Flyers paid for it. 

They should call NAK for the game he is the top RW and is waiver exempt.

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier -93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 40 Jordan Weal -11 Travis Konecny (?)
21 Scott Laughton- 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 17 Wayne Simmonds
22 Dale Weise -15 Jori Lehterä -12 Michael Raffl

The bolded ticks me off to no end.   Not just that he's in the lineup, but that you're sliding someone into the 2nd line that has no business being in the NHL.  Not even as a popcorn server.  He's an utter joke.

If you must play him, slide Vorobyev up and put Weal on the 3rd line.  I understand Crackstol doesn't want to upset two lines, but again--Weal.

JHC.

And Weise AND Lethera on the 4th line?  Are we trying to lose?

I think Misha need to hit the weight room a good bit add some more strength to his game.

He is big size while but that doesn't seem to translate to strength on the ice. Seems to be able to separate from the puck easier than it should for his 6-2 200 size.

35 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow Flyers can't buy a goal today should be 5-0 Flyers.

They are getting the better/most chances but not on the scoreboard.

Based on shootout history, not at all surprised Laughton and G did not score on their breakaways.

Archived