Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
JR Ewing

Oilers 2018-19 General Thread

On 11/7/2018 at 1:05 PM, yave1964 said:

I have always been VERY skeptical of any player who suddenly bursts on the scene after around the age of twenty two or twenty three, let alone thirty one years old which is why in his late twenties coming off a year with 20 something good starts with the Rangers I felt that the Oilers overpaid for Talbot.

One thing I will say about Cam Talbot: he's the smallest LOOKING 6'4" in net that I've seen in a long time. That, of course, is not a compliment.

@yave1964 Koskinen is certainly making a case to McLellan to give him more minutes. 5 starts, 4 wins, .918, not too shabby whereas Talbot has played below average, a four game losing streak. Maybe at this point a tandem would be a better solution than Talbot as the clear cut #1 goalie...?

• Like 2

Point-form nonsense...

-Mikko Koskinen continues to play well. Save percentage is in the top 10 now, and the team is 6-2 with him on the ice.

-Cam Talbot has been absolutely horrible. His Quality Start% is now at 33, and has 5 Really Bad Starts. And no, I'm not making up the existence of those stats.

-Darnell Nurse can't see available outlet passes like I can't dunk a basketball. He can defend and he can skate, but if he carries the puck past his own blueline, it will end with him laying a muffin of shot into the goalie's crest. Personally, I think his best value for the Oilers lies in what he interest other teams might have in him.

-Hitchcock just might have found a home for Milan Lucic, partnered up with Brodziak and Kassian. Last night, he put them out against the Benn-Radulov-Seguin line and and won the possession and scoring chance battle.

-Andrej Sekera is practicing again, but my guess is that he's done, at least as beiong an effective player. He's 32, was always injury prone, and in 2018 he missed most of the year with a blown-out knee, and has been out all year so far with an Achilles injury. Too bad, and I would love be wrong.

• Thanks 1

@JR Ewing

What's the scuttlebutt on Zykov who they grabbed off waivers? I didn't see him on the bench last night, wasn't a scratch. He's got serious offensive upside and is a big body, curious as to how he might do in EDM.  - Pods

Just now, Podein25 said:

@JR Ewing

What's the scuttlebutt on Zykov who they grabbed off waivers? I didn't see him on the bench last night, wasn't a scratch. He's got serious offensive upside and is a big body, curious as to how he might do in EDM.  - Pods

Visa problems have kept him playing games. He's been practicing with the team. Being a one-shot scorer, if he could work out, it would be a big deal.

• Like 1

-The Oilers played the dangerous Flames, and choked the life out of the game for Calgary. The Flames had difficulty with entries, and an aggressive Oilers forechceck forced numerous turnovers. David Rittich made saves on several breakaways, and kept it 1-0 going into the 3rd. In that 3rd period, the Oilers allowed only 4 shots, and held on for a 1-0.

-With that shutout, Mikko Koskinnen moves into 3rd in the NHL in Save Percentage. He's a big and really unspectacular looking goalie who lets the puck hit him and has (so far) controlled his rebounds. Very modern goaler.

-I grabbed a screenshot last night which shows an improvement in structure which isn't by any means groundbreaking, but shows something which was badly needed in Edmonton:

cwV5YIY.jpg

The Oilers are playing tighter than before, have sticks in the lane, and are moving as a 5-man unit. Other than putting the puck around the boards in the hopes that a teammate can recover it, there's nothing that Andersson can do with the puck. I will contrast that with:

nov11-31.png

And no, that wasn't a PP. A picture showing all defensive players with a massive gap in the middle of the ice (the Dangerous Chance) and all skating in different directions just screams chaos. The changes aren't a re-writing of the game or an attempt to be the smartest guy in the room, but a return to what always worked. It's so good to see.

At least they had their true jerseys.

That still hurt my eyes when I see the Oilers playing. Why the hell did they ditch their original royal blue jerseys with that ugly orange one with this navy blue that doesn't make any sense?

They made the same damn thing like 10-12 years ago with the navy blue and the red trim. And I'm not speaking about the 3rd "Oilman" jersey... But these monstruosities were common to most of the teams at that period.

23 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

At least they had their true jerseys.

That still hurt my eyes when I see the Oilers playing. Why the hell did they ditch their original royal blue jerseys with that ugly orange one with this navy blue that doesn't make any sense?

The orange jerseys were awful, but a lot of fans liked them. I guess there's no accounting for taste.