Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
JR Ewing

Oilers 2018-19 General Thread

On 11/7/2018 at 1:05 PM, yave1964 said:

I have always been VERY skeptical of any player who suddenly bursts on the scene after around the age of twenty two or twenty three, let alone thirty one years old which is why in his late twenties coming off a year with 20 something good starts with the Rangers I felt that the Oilers overpaid for Talbot.

One thing I will say about Cam Talbot: he's the smallest LOOKING 6'4" in net that I've seen in a long time. That, of course, is not a compliment.

@yave1964 Koskinen is certainly making a case to McLellan to give him more minutes. 5 starts, 4 wins, .918, not too shabby whereas Talbot has played below average, a four game losing streak. Maybe at this point a tandem would be a better solution than Talbot as the clear cut #1 goalie...?

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Most Liked Posts in This Topic

@yave1964 Koskinen is certainly making a case to McLellan to give him more minutes. 5 starts, 4 wins, .918, not too shabby whereas Talbot has played below average, a four game losing streak. Maybe at this point a tandem would be a better solution than Talbot as the clear cut #1 goalie...?
      This team...... Just look at these two tweets from TSN's Ryan Rishaug:     Followed by:   Hidden Content Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.   It's like a keystone cops movie.              
      Seven games into the season, and the Oilers are 3-3-1 against a hellish schedule. I thought they were like to go something like 2-4-0 (I never bother predicting OT) or possibly 1-5-0, so I think that wins against Boston and Winnipeg in addition to the Range, has to be considered a good record so far. They handily outplayed Pittsburgh last night but didn't get the saves. It happens.   -Chiarelli signed backup Mika Koskinen to a $2.5M deal with a NMC and Todd McLellan hasn't played him for one minute, even though Cam Talbot has been all over the place. Sounds like a disconnect between the GM and Coach. -McDavid continues to be amazing and continues to play a ton of minutes; too many in fact. Last night, McLellan played 97 for 28 minutes. If/when he wears down and sustains an injury, McLellan is probably out of a job. -Evan Bouchard has showed well, but needs to be playing lots and lot of minutes somewhere, and not 3rd pairing time with the big club. THE NHL IS NOT A DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE, despite how the Oilers continue to run their team. -Oscar Klefbom has rebounded very well from shoulder surgery, and looks like the player he was in 2017.  
      On a per-game basis, he's been better than Cam Talbot, though he's very pricey for a backup. Mind you, he's now started 3 of the Oilers last 4 games, so there may be competition for the starter's job as of now. This is far from bad. Overall, they seem to have found a competent backup.   Get back to me in a week when the world is ending, and I'll probably be ready to burn the offices on Kingway Ave, though.  
      He looks like a more than adequate backup, probably an acceptable 1B. I have always been VERY skeptical of any player who suddenly bursts on the scene after around the age of twenty two or twenty three, let alone thirty one years old which is why in his late twenties coming off a year with 20 something good starts with the Rangers I felt that the Oilers overpaid for Talbot. Occasionally you get a Tim Thomas but they are so clearly the exception that I just give them a wide berth. As far as Koskinen goes though he has a significant body of work playing on an elite team in the KHL going a combined 36-10-4 over the past two years with goals against of 2.08 and 1.57 so he clearly can play. In fact over the past seven years in the KHL his combined goals against is a bit over two in a league where scoring is close to what you could expect in the NHL.     Do I think he could be a long term answer? Probably not but there is a chance. Could he be a long term backup or part time starter? Well he is certainly a better guy to take a flyer on than guys like Montoya or Gustafsson so why not find out.

About HF.net

We are an enthusiastic community of HockeyFans who enjoy discussing the NHL and more in our Forums.  Our members may also write their own blogs, converse in chat, post pics in our gallery, join our fantasy hockey leagues and more.  If you are looking for a friendly community to discuss hockey then register today and begin your conversation in our NET.

Contact Us

Like what we do? Help us keep doing it!
Supporting Members help keep HockeyForums Advertisement Free