Minnesota Wild vs Arizona Coyotes, Tuesday 10-16-18, 7:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

CreaseAndAssist

2 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

According to announcers, Wild is oldest team in league at 29.1 years of age.  Pittsburgh is second.  This is an albatross for the future - we can't get younger with 3-4 boat anchors.  Thanks CL and CF?!?  $hit!  And we are playing like it again in first period of our 6th game again. 

1B350292-DB2B-487C-B9BD-46E684801759.png

Well. I only saw the third. Looked like my huff n puff league with the short bench. Granny a gamer at center, though he got tossed from the dot there for being too short. Let's give Koivu a goal for the conception, an assist on the birth and the 1st star and game puck to the kid. Classy move for Wild. There are some things more important than hockey.....I can't believe I just typed that....

7 hours ago, Icechipper said:

So where was hendricks? Buying cigars for mikko?

Ted Brown's kid tripped a guy and the AZ player fell on the back of Hendricks' legs.  It looked bad to me, knee, ankle...

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Dubnyk Again Stellar in Ugly 2-1 Wild Win Over Arizona

Ugly game.  The Wild still look tired, slow...even if it was the 2nd game of a back to back.  The Wild were very fortunate we were playing Arizona tonight.  Coyle and Nino have ZERO confidence right now.  I have a full game recap and a ton of prospect news, check it out!  

Should have been a blow out.  The Wild choked a boatload of great chances.  Zooker missing that wide open net was crazy.   It was a choppy game but the Wild were clearly in control the whole game.   I didn't see any numbers but the Scoring Chances should have been very lopsided in the Wild's favor.   Zebra's sucked again IMO. 

36 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Should have been a blow out.  The Wild choked a boatload of great chances.  Zooker missing that wide open net was crazy.   It was a choppy game but the Wild were clearly in control the whole game.   I didn't see any numbers but the Scoring Chances should have been very lopsided in the Wild's favor.   Zebra's sucked again IMO. 

I agree. I thought the Wild played well and Kuemper kept the Yotes in the game. Doobs also played well. Their last 2 games have been much better than the first 4. Hope that trend continues 

Nice to see us get the W but it felt way harder than it should have ever been. The Wild are not passing the eye test right now. If Dubnyk wasn't playing out of his mind and instead the normal Dubs we are use too I don't think we would have one win so far. Dubnyk is really keeping the team in.  I can't figure out the lack of confidence and confusion happening on the ice right now. This is basically 95% the same guys for years now but it looks like they are all playing together for the first time ever with no coaching or practice before hand.

My one theory on this is that the team has been overachieving for some time and they are coming back down to where they should be. Factor in age and it's a recipe for some very rough times ahead.

Wild controlled the whole game? They sure spent a lot of time in our own end.

At one point, I think in the 3rd period, the puck went whizzing down into Arizona's zone and the commentators noted how fast the ice was down there. Well yeah, the ice down there was pretty lonely... nice and cold, hardly skated on.

Giving up 32 shots on goal isn't controlling the whole game.

8 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Meh, the Wild certainly botched some of their opportunities but Dubnyk had to make some fantastic stops to keep us in the game.  IMO the game could've easily been 4-1 the other way too.  Granlund's goal was about as yogurt soft as you can get.

36 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Meh, the Wild certainly botched some of their opportunities but Dubnyk had to make some fantastic stops to keep us in the game.  IMO the game could've easily been 4-1 the other way too.  Granlund's goal was about as yogurt soft as you can get.

Meh right back atcha.  The only goal they scored was flukishly lucky.   The Wild had ar least double the scoring chances.

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Wild controlled the whole game? They sure spent a lot of time in our own end.

At one point, I think in the 3rd period, the puck went whizzing down into Arizona's zone and the commentators noted how fast the ice was down there. Well yeah, the ice down there was pretty lonely... nice and cold, hardly skated on.

Giving up 32 shots on goal isn't controlling the whole game.

Hey they kept the Yotes under their average of 37 shots per game 😉

2 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Hey they kept the Yotes under their average of 37 shots per game 😉

During the game they said the Coyotes allow the fewest shots on goal, leading the league. I can't remember if that number was 23.8 or 28.3... Something like that. It was a remarkable stat to say the least.

It was also pretty clear Dubnyk kept the Wild in the game with some key saves.

I also noticed the Coyotes PP was eerily similar to how the Wild waste their time on the PP. Their players camp out on the blue line while someone skates up-ice with the puck, then drop it back 20-30 feet to a trailing player, who attempts to weave across the line pushing the puck over to someone along the boards... YAWN... Then spend most their time trying not to cough it up and if they get a shot from the perimeter they take it. Another yawn.

With the Coyotes only having 2 five-on-five goals so far this year the Wild should have easily steam-rolled them but instead made the game look like a really difficult challenge.

1 minute ago, rottenrefs said:

During the game they said the Coyotes allow the fewest shots on goal, leading the league. I can't remember if that number was 23.8 or 28.3... Something like that. It was a remarkable stat to say the least.

It was also pretty clear Dubnyk kept the Wild in the game with some key saves.

I also noticed the Coyotes PP was eerily similar to how the Wild waste their time on the PP. Their players camp out on the blue line while someone skates up-ice with the puck, then drop it back 20-30 feet to a trailing player, who attempts to weave across the line pushing the puck over to someone along the boards... YAWN... Then spend most their time trying not to cough it up and if they get a shot from the perimeter they take it. Another yawn.

With the Coyotes only having 2 five-on-five goals so far this year the Wild should have easily steam-rolled them but instead made the game look like a really difficult challenge.

Greenway looked more assertive, even finished a couple of checks.  But still think he needs some time in Iowa. IMO His puck support and overall anticipation needs improvement.

JT Brown played his best game, but IMO, considering his natural speed, still isn't showing much jump.

Fehr is o k, but would like to see an infusion of speed in his place.

Brodin is a solid defender, but his deliberate giveaways and near 100 percent dump ins, makes him, IMO a puck possession nightmare.

2 hours ago, Fargocase said:

😂  Team wins in regulation and "fans" bidtch!  Freakin' hilarious!  🤪

Funny is they are on pace of last years October record of 4-4-2. Like I said earlier the last 2 games I think they have gotten better. Hopefully that trend continues 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, Fargocase said:

😂  Team wins in regulation and "fans" bidtch!  Freakin' hilarious!  🤪

Honestly if you step away from being a fan for a second and look at this team from afar you can see some major issues. First they played a team that has only scored 2 five on five goals and 3 goals in regulation. The Wild should have the fire power to put the Coyotes on their heels. Factor in the "defensive style" Minnesota is suppose to be known for then the Wild should have won easily. Dubnyk had to make some incredible saves to keep the team in it. As somebody said, if Dubnyk was having a off game it could have easily been 4-1. The Wild appear to be overwhelmed a lot. Speed is lacking. Breakout is lacking. Puck control is lacking. Defense is lacking. Now if this wasn't a on going issue with the Wild it would be easy to wave it off and just call it a fluke. But the M.O. for this team has become this. Now factor in we are the oldest team and these older players are not all of a sudden going to get faster or start doing things they never have done before.

People would be wanting heads if the Twins did the same thing. Just a minor tweak cause them made the playoffs. Good teams build a team to win. Then improve it to make the playoffs. Then build it to advanced in the playoffs and finally build it to have a chance to win the championship. Making the playoffs over and over only to squeak maybe one win off in that run is not a sign of a good team or a team a tweak or two away. The Wild are built to be the 15th or 16th place team. Now age and lack of talent is starting to show its head more and more.

I am happy that they won. Us Minnesota sport fans have it rough. But I won't blindly follow a team and give them non stop support when there is clearly major issues going on. I will cheer for them but I will criticize them too. Especially with a owner who only thinks a tweak or two will make this team a deep playoff contender when it's becoming clearer and clearer the boat is leaking and patchwork jobs is no longer a option. I love having hockey back. I was heartbroken with Green left with the Stars. I love the Wild but I think the only shot this team had of winning the Cup was the first few years of the Parise and Suter signing but that has since long gone. I don't think this team makes the playoffs this year. If they do I foresee the same results as we have seen for years now. Now I would be happy to eat my words on this and they went deep and showed fight. But Parise and Suter are on the downside of their careers. Parise might be a good check away from retirement. To see a resurgence like Staal has had is very rare. I doubt we see that with anybody else from this group. I hope they win and go deep with this group. I would love for nothing else but I will also see the issues and not ignore them.

Archived