Haag is an offensive catalyst and a physical presence

RonJeremy

Just now, RonJeremy said:

I know a lot of us don't care for Haag, but he is looking real good this year and he did have a few offensive outbursts last year. Maybe he is going to be better than we thought.

I'm in the vast minority who actually like him. I think if it comes to moving one of the kid defenders, he may end up being the odd man out. But I think his game is badly underrated.  He's the kind of guy you need one of. 

I actually like him too, he is physical ,is a shot blocker ,is solid defensively , has shown flashes of offensive potential.  At this point Sanheim is still questionable defensively,  Myers isn't ready and Morin a big question mark. Right now , Haag is probably our second best dman at actually playing defense.

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I actually like him too, he is physical ,is a shot blocker ,is solid defensively , has shown flashes of offensive potential.  At this point Sanheim is still questionable defensively,  Myers isn't ready and Morin a big question mark. Right now , Haag is probably our second best dman at actually playing defense.

I think the second best thing is accurate.  Honestly, if he plays his game and doesn't start running around out of position to make a hit, he will be a valuable 2nd pair guy. 

I've always valued Hagg higher than most I've seen in fandom.  I've always thought he could develop into a well rounded defender, never great at any one particular thing, so somebody who will likely be retainable at a decent market value.  You need d-men like that in general in order to keep your higher end d-men talent in the salary cap era.  I'm glad he is getting some recognition. 

I've always cheered for those who do yeoman's work and I think Hagg is a good example. 

You can count me in the group that like Hagg and what he brings to the team. Most of it is i know what his limits are and am ok with it.

He makes the team harder to play against. He is solid in his own zone. And still has room to improve which i think he will continue to do.

He has an under rated wrist shot that is pretty accurate...he may need to use it more in the future. It would be nice to see him get a steady partner.

Every team needs a Hagg and he has a place on this team especially with others like Morin and Ginning still in the pipeline but haven't arrived yet.

I'm definitely a fan of his.  He has a solid two-way game and if he can continue to develop offensively he will be a real force on the ice.  He has good size and more importantly isn't afraid to use it in the right situation, blocks shots, and for the most part is a calming force on the blue line.  I think people forget that he is only 23 years old, in 2-3 years I think we will get a better feel for what he will become but he is trending in the right direction.  

Also on Hagg one of his most underrated aspects to i have noticed a lot on the ice for his modest size at 6-2 dude is strong as a Ox and i would go out on a limb and say he is the strongest guy on the team.

Just watch how he goes into the scrums, most times against guys much bigger than him and they struggle to control him and he just rag dolls guys at his will it is impressive if you pay attention.

He is a handful to handle.

If you see his traps when his jersey off (like in between period interviews) he just strikes me as a gym rat that loves to lift weights so he maintain the upper hand from a strength standpoint when he wants.

Got to love than and the Flyers need guy who will help maintain order when they is chaos on the ice.

And he is one to do that and it don't always come down to just dropping the gloves there is more to maintaining order and protecting fellow teammates and keeping guys, bullies off key players and he does that for anyone.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Also on Hagg one of his most underrated aspects to i have noticed a lot on the ice for his modest size at 6-2 dude is strong as a Ox and i would go out on a limb and say he is the strongest guy on the team.

Just watch how he goes into the scrums, most times against guys much bigger than him and they struggle to control him and he just rag dolls guys at his will it is impressive if you pay attention.

He is a handful to handle.

If you see his traps when his jersey off (like in between period interviews) he just strikes me as a gym rat that loves to lift weights so he maintain the upper hand from a strength standpoint when he wants.

Got to love than and the Flyers need guy who will help maintain order when they is chaos on the ice.

And he is one to do that and it don't always come down to just dropping the gloves there is more to maintaining order and protecting fellow teammates and keeping guys, bullies off key players and he does that for anyone.

Wow how things have changed in Flyersland, I can't remember the last time Flyers fans were able to talk about homegrown defensemen and not which defenseman we need from another team. Hagg has been underrated, but he doesn't cost much and can be effective on this team.

26 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Wow how things have changed in Flyersland, I can't remember the last time Flyers fans were able to talk about homegrown defensemen and not which defenseman we need from another team.

First you have to find one and draft them. Then keep them and develop them.

Before 2012 (Ghost) you have to go all the way back to 2008 when they drafted and actually hit on Sbisa...

...which they turned and traded away.

Before that you have to back to 2002 with Pitkanen which they hit on sort of...but still traded him away by the time he was 24.

Then you Seidenberg drafted in 2001 but once again traded away to Phoenix.

And after you have to go back to 1995 to Tertyshny before they drafted anyone with potential...it really is like they didn't know how to find a defenseman and when it seemed they did find one they didn't know what to do with them and would just grow impatient and trade them away...like the Coyote always chasing the roadrunner and finally catching him (damn i am showing my age here) what to do with him now!

Image result for picture of coyote catching the roadrunner

Not sure if anyone here remembers this.

Needless to say before 2012 when it started to turn around they had a horrible track record when it come to finding defensemen.

I'll admit - I don't like Hagg. I think he makes far too many mistakes to ever be a serious defender and I honestly don't see this offensive output lasting long. Honestly, he's nothing more than a drafted version of Brandon Manning. Every now and then a blind squirrel gets a nut and he's having his blind squirrel moment. 

Archived