Game 7: Flyers at Blue Jackets 10/18/18 7:00 pm

OccamsRazor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would not surprise me to see either Lyon or Stolarz back up sooner than later.  Our first defense pairing is not working.  I hope this is just an early season sorting mess.  Meanwhile, every point counts.

Just now, Howie58 said:

It would not surprise me to see either Lyon or Stolarz back up sooner than later.  Our first defense pairing is not working.  I hope this is just an early season sorting mess.  Meanwhile, every point counts.

I think you might see Neuvy first.

Before recalling a guy from down below.

At this point....one more last try before waiving Neuvy...I'm afraid it will spell the end of Pickard.

Sorry someone has to go....

You have to figure Provy and Ghost will eventually settle in and be what they were last year. Then we have to wait about 20 games or so and see exactly what we have in the other pairings . Sanheim is really the key, will he take the next step and settle down defensively and contribute offensively,  Gudas is what he is, Haag is solid and could contribute more offense than we expected. Mc D sucks, question is, does Folin suck worse? One thing for sure is, we have the most mediocre goalies, whether it's due to injury just sucking.

18 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

is anyone else concerned that we need to score between 6 and 10 goals a night to win a hockey game?

Yeah especially they have given up at least 4 games so far this year with 5 goals or more.

This team really really needs a goaltender to give them some confidence that every mistake is not going to be a goal.

They are not getting that right now.

Don't even know if they will.

38 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I have noticed an appalling lack of defense not only by the Flyers but also in the NFL.

So we need to score a touchdown and kick a field goal to win a damn hockey game. 

I have the solution on Defense: Let's bring back Lasse Kukkonen.  At 37, he is still playing in the Swedish League.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=56047

Maybe he will provide "veteran leadership" along with MacDud. Jeepers, he came to mind watching tonight's game...brought back bad memories of '06-'07.

3 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

is anyone else concerned that we need to score between 6 and 10 goals a night to win a hockey game?

Yes...very, very concerned!  I feel like we are back in the 80’s (with the high scoring) except that the team sucks.

A couple things. 

First, quite obviously the goaltending is atrocious. I know Folin fell and there are defensive breakdowns, but the goalie has got to make some of these saves. If the puck ends up in our net after every mistake, that only begets more mistakes. Quite frankly, we don't currently have an NHL goalie. 

2. I know we're beating up on the defense, and in some cases deservedly.  MacDonald has been horrific and Folin worse. His Gritty impression was pathetic.  But the forwards simply are not doing their jobs on the back check.  They will focus on that in the next game and sacrifice offense because they can't do both. They'll fall behind because a mistake ends up in their net and go back to sloppy, lazy backchecking and next thing you know 3-4 goals go against.  You CAN do both. Watching Voracek out for a leisurely skate on backcheck is starting to tick me off, but he's not the only one. The thing is, players like him need to lead by example. Wrong example. 

3. People keep saying speed. Maybe that's why they're having issues playing both offense and backchecking.  I don't think so.  I think it's a combination of laziness, being lost, and something systemic.   There was zero hustle in Voracek, for example. That's not speed. It's not coaching or system. It's taking shifts off. 

He's not the only one. That's when you start considering coaching. Why are people floating? Why do they look lost?  Why does this team look slower when objectively they're really not?  I don't think Hakstol's game preaches speed.  That's the game now, but I don't think it's our approach. 

So, I'm not "It's Hakstol!" but he is part of the problem. A large part. 

I already dont like this team...again.   There's absolutely nothing compelling about them.  They aren't great at anything, and they're bad or average at other things. I wouldn't be surprised if they win one/lose one and end up 41-41 at the end of the season.

I'm not saying the season is over, but they are just absolutely irrelevant to me right now.  If you could compare their personality to someone we all would know, who would it be?  I think the perfect personality match is Dave Hakstol.  Their personality comes directly from their leader. 

What has he done in his 4 or 5 years as head coach?  I'm not thinking about wins and losses in that time, I'm trying to think what hes actually done to make the team do anything well.  Are they faster?  Is their defense better?  Is he getting the most out of his goalies?  Is their PK better?  Is their PP any good?  Are they a high powered offense?  Are they a big, tough team?

I can honestly say no to every single one of those questions.  Is that because he doesn't have good enough players?  I sure hope that's not the case.  Hextall was a magician to clear cap space and draft future superstars.  I dont know about everyone else, but I was thinking this would be the year they start to gel and take steps forward.  Are they just not good or is their coach a stiff?

I've concluded that Hakstol is on the hot seat and he knows it. 

1. It started with the Philadelphia Flyers sell job on Hakstol

There is an organizational effort to put out fluff pieces showing Hak outside of hockey. 

2. Hextall has said he's now focused on success at the NHL level.

3. No matter who's in goal - and this goes back to last year - the Flyers cannot keep the puck out of their net. 

So unless Hextall has drafted / developed the slowest collection of players in the NHL and has assembled all of the worst goalies, the problem lies somewhere else, and coaching is definitely an area that is 'easier' to improve and see results quickly.

4. The team looks in disarray.

That usually happens towards the end of a coach's tenure.

5. Perhaps the most significant, the media has also turned on Hak.

The line of questioning around Knight being another VdV just because they both played under Hak is some bizarro narrative that angry fans make up. But when the media starts picking up on it, and asking him directly? I think that's a sign that even the media has lost faith / respect for the coach. I've seen that happen with previous coaches. 

6. It's getting to Hakstol.

He's testy in interviews, and looks visibly annoyed. He's more animated on the bench. And I think it's partly due to job pressure that he's facing for the first time as an NHL coach - probably directly communicated from Hextall. 

Anyway, I could be completely off, but it sure doesn't feel that way.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

I've concluded that Hakstol is on the hot seat and he knows it. 

1. It started with the Philadelphia Flyers sell job on Hakstol

There is an organizational effort to put out fluff pieces showing Hak outside of hockey. 

2. Hextall has said he's now focused on success at the NHL level.

3. No matter who's in goal - and this goes back to last year - the Flyers cannot keep the puck out of their net. 

So unless Hextall has drafted / developed the slowest collection of players in the NHL and has assembled all of the worst goalies, the problem lies somewhere else, and coaching is definitely an area that is 'easier' to improve and see results quickly.

4. The team looks in disarray.

That usually happens towards the end of a coach's tenure.

5. Perhaps the most significant, the media has also turned on Hak.

The line of questioning around Knight being another VdV just because they both played under Hak is some bizarro narrative that angry fans make up. But when the media starts picking up on it, and asking him directly? I think that's a sign that even the media has lost faith / respect for the coach. I've seen that happen with previous coaches. 

6. It's getting to Hakstol.

He's testy in interviews, and looks visibly annoyed. He's more animated on the bench. And I think it's partly due to job pressure that he's facing for the first time as an NHL coach - probably directly communicated from Hextall. 

Anyway, I could be completely off, but it sure doesn't feel that way.

I hope you are right.  I have held back laying into him as I wanted to give him and Hexy the benefit of the doubt.  We are supposed to be trending upward now in the "rebuild" which is why Hexy went out and re-acquired JVR.  As we seem to be trending in the wrong direction at this point my patience has run out and am now ready for a full shakeup of the coaching staff.

I am pretty sure that  .874 (Elliot) and  .833 (Pickard) are carrying the lion's share of the blame for the current losses. After watching Folin toe pick and pass the puck to directly to the opponent, he could be worse than McDud. I would love to see Stolarz given another shot too.

I'm with you two @brelic  @Poulin20 

I think the team is on the brink.  Not because of the loses or their record.  But the lack of effort, back-checking and blown coverage among other related items.  What  @brelic said in #4 is exactly my thought.  

In my opinion, the only way Hak keeps his job through the holidays is if the team strings a good stretch of games and comes out with 12-14 wins in the next 20 games.   To where they are visibly better in all aspects of the game, not just getting the 6-4 wins

9 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I'm with you two @brelic  @Poulin20 

I think the team is on the brink.  Not because of the loses or their record.  But the lack of effort, back-checking and blown coverage among other related items.  What  @brelic said in #4 is exactly my thought.  

In my opinion, the only way Hak keeps his job through the holidays is if the team strings a good stretch of games and comes out with 12-14 wins in the next 20 games.   To where they are visibly better in all aspects of the game, not just getting the 6-4 wins

If JVR and Patrick can come back and the team stabilizes a bit, then maybe the team finds its way out of this.

Pickard and Elliott have not bailed the team out, but I'm not sure many goalies could. And those that could simply aren't available. They are team-wide problems.

42 minutes ago, brelic said:

and has assembled all of the worst goalies

Not the sole reason but a huge part of it. Having 3 backup goaltenders gets you just where they are at.

These guys can't make routine saves and that is what has to be troubling the team when they go back and watch the film and break it down.

Sure there are going to be mistakes it is a game that is constantly on the move show me a team that doesn't make mistakes.

They need a guy who is going to hold them in the game give them a chance and maybe even a confidence boost that he has their backs.

And right now they don't have that. The players will never come out and throw the goalie under the bus they wouldn't want that done to them.

But at the end of the day the goalie has to make the saves he is suppose to and then a few he shouldn't.  They don't have that even going back to when Mason was here he would make some awesome saves and then let back breaking routine saves by him and that is what takes the wind out the team's sail during the game and just kills momentum.

They should have did like i suggested and made an aggressive move for Craig Anderson when the Sens were moving guys out.

He was what they needed a vet goalie signed for the next two years (2 at 4.75mill). Well worth it.

Now he is sitting 3-1-1 with a 3.02 gaa and 925%.......numbers we would kill for in Philly. And the price to acquire him has doubled!

Elliott 4.04 gaa 874%

Pickard 4.75 gaa 833%

Yikes just straight up brutal....no cub can win with goaltending like they have been getting. And you would think having a former goalie as a GM he would know that. SMFH.

7 games played so far 4 of them they have given up 5+ goals in.

So how does Hak fix this sh it fest???

When and how does the bleeding stop??

7 games Ivan has one assist. -5. Not good.

When Hagg is your leading points producer through 7 games (2 g 3 a 5 p).

That is a huge part of it. Would love for them to finally hold Gord Murphy accountable.

But i guess can't expect that when they won't hold Lappy accountable. Knowing them they say "Hey Lappy has made improvements we are no longer one of the worst PK groups now just the 21st worse....progress is progress!"

And the PP is 15th at home and 12th on the road....the definition of mediocre.

So with this nice collection of talent how long of a rope does Ron give Hak???

I would say this is a talented squad except in goal....which is a collection of spare parts backup castoffs.

I can see why Toronto went with Sparks in goal instead of Pickard....i waive this guy as soon as Neuvy is healthy and can sit on the bench.

I mean i know he has Folin and can't get up but after this weak ass goal it's all i need to see HTF you going to let that shot go 5 hole bro?? Are you f**king kidding me??? Buh bye!

Get the f**k outta here!!!!!!

And what is he exactly doing here??? Really???

Send this clown packing.

Another thing i haven't seen mentioned so i will.

Scott Laughton is a LW he is not a center....we saw that last night so get healthy Patrick so you can get your 2nd line center gig back and they can return Laughton to the wing on the 3rd or 4th.

Also how was this not called a dive last night??? So Cindyesque i was impressed....

Yet they called Ivan on this. It is good to see the refs have started where they left off last year. Just horrible.

Archived