How much longer will Blashill keep his job?

yave1964

Right now the Wings sit at 0-5-2 the worst record in all of Hockey, the teams worst start ever, well on their way tot heir third consecutive season of missing the postseason. Over the past three games they have been outscored 18-6 and on the season they have 15 goals in 7 games,  have given up a league worse 33 goals. 

I had high hopes for Blashill. He was an assistant under Babs, sent to GR to coach the Griffins where he led the team to the Calder Trophy and when Babs fled to the land of maple syrup where they don't understand the difference between bacon and ham he was the absolute only acceptable choice to coach the team. I was thrilled with the signing.

Well it didn't work out which is the understatement of the year so far. His first season in Detroit the Wings limped into the playoffs and were swept badly by Tampa. Pavel and Z moved on which he cannot be blamed for but the kids seem to live in his doghouse, instead of figuring out what they do right and taking advantage of it he continues to slash minutes for Athanasiou and Mantha and bounce them down the lines because they aren't what he wants them to be.A coach is supposed to take advantage of strengths and gloss over weaknesses, instead he seems to throw up is hands with the kids and bury them when they are incapable of doing the things he wants them to do. Rasmussen seems to have inherited the mantle of whipping boy now which infuriates me.

So the Blashill era is coming to an end and as high as my hopes were when it began that is how happy I am to see the oncoming freight train. I hope that Bylsma takes over the team and tells Mantha to score enough goals to make up for defensive deficiencies, I hope he tells AA to relax, he is a middle six forward and wont be screwed with, I hope that Bylsma tells Rasmussen to relax he isn't getting shipped back to Juniors he is going to make a living for the next decade as a net front presence and that is that. I hope he recalls Zadina and pushes hard for the rebuild to take the next step.

I had such high hopes for you Blash now I hope we pull the plug and move on Before the kids are all alienated. It is past time for a change.

@yave1964 I'm not sure yave...

You obviously know the team better than me but on paper the roster doesn't come across as very strong. Signing that slug Vanek once more tells me your scouting department is degrading. You do have Larkin and Nyqvist and they are scoring but my gut tells me something is missing from the roster. Maybe leadership? Kronwall is aging and obviously Z is sorely missed... If you're saying Blashill is screwing up the development of your young prospects then naturally that's a good reason to be upset and not just the losses.

And of course it's easier to can Blashill than fundamentally change the roster and Bylsma is an excellent coach in my book. Make it happen already, Holland! 😁

I give Blashill another 30 days and then he's gone.

Archived