Carolina on my mind

yave1964

Sweet Baby James, this team is actually fun to watch. A few quick hits after watching the Canes dismantle the Wings last night 3-1.

This is the third time I have watched Carolina this year and I am impressed with how aggressive they are, Hamilton coming aboard along with Hamonic changes the entire structure of the team. Hamonic is the nice steady stay at home presence that a longtime favorite of mine Faulk has needed, Faulk pushes the puck in one pairing almost as a 4th forward knowing Hamonic has his back, Pesce does the same for Hamilton who joins every rush. They play north south hockey, speed and zeroing in on the net. Brind A'mour has them attacking on every shift.

Guess who leads the league in shots at 44 a game? The Hurricanes.

Ferland seems to have found chemistry with Aho who moved into the middle this year. It is Aho's team plain and simple, as he goes, so go the Canes. He seems dedicated to finding another gear, his pass first shoot second mentality works wonderful from the middle and he drives straight towards the net forcing the other teams defense to collapse the middle and then he passes it out to the wing or drops it back to either Faulk/Hamilton. By far, this is the best 5 on 5 team I have seen this year. By far. 

At one point late in the second the Canes held a ridiculous 36-9 shot advantage and they had 20 at least that were either blocked or just missed the net. They fire from everywhere, get it inside the blueline, put it on net and drive the net. granted it was only the Wings but wow were they tough. Then inexplicably they quit skating in the third, they hung around going into protect mode and Athanasiou scored on a breakaway. With five minutes to go in the third with the Wings on a power play Mrazek was down, Rasmussen had one blocked in the crease by Faulk and Hamonic stole the game by blocking one by Athanasiou both within about three seconds in a textbook showing of how to play defense on a P/K. No idea why they took the foot off the gas, I think it is something that will be addressed.

Overall I like the team, they remind me a bit of Columbus other than in net where they are going to run the hot hand of three guys who are Luke warm at best most nights. if they can get any kind of netminding at all with the system they are playing they are a dangerous and fun team to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@yave1964  I appreciate you putting a serious effort into these opening posts!

Yeah, they play fast as hell. But you're right tough, the Wings are trash. Not the most suitable opponent to start analysing your team. Nevertheless their 1st line works nicely together. Aho, Ferland and TT. Or is Staall there instead of TT? If they only had a quality starting goalie, they could do wonders. Faulk is an excellent offensive D, would love to have him in the Wild jersey. Yeah, a fun team to watch since now that the league has killed all the physicality in the game so what's left is the speed.

• Like 1

@Hockey-78 , Just so you know, @yave1964 ALWAYS puts effort in his topics, opening posts, and posting in general.
Substance in his style. He can be very opinionated, but expresses reason behind what he says...doesn't mean he is always right, but he usually isn't far off the mark, and the very fact he HAS something to say besides "Yes", "No", or "Player X is going to be good this year" is something I think we should ALL appreciate, and many posters on various forums can learn a thing or three from his style.

No hollow, meaningless, puddle deep postings from this man like maybe is the norm for many forums.
I certainly appreciate his topics and posts and hope he just continues to do what he does.

Ok...now, after all that lip service, my take on the Hurricanes:

They have been building towards this (or at least attempting to) for many seasons now.....and they FINALLY seem to have the right mix both behind the bench, in the front office, and on the ice to play the up-tempo and attacking style not seen on this club since they were in the old Southeast division and trading top spots with either the Lightning or Capitals there.

Aho, Teravainen, Ferland, Martinook, Hamilton, Pesce, Faulk, De Haan….these are just some of the players who have big contributions to the team in various ways....and while all are not elite players, they make the team go by doing little things that don't show up on scoresheets like the sexy goals and assists do.

Very good skating team that is playing an attack style mixed in with good checking heart along the boards, that Rod Brind'amour himself could be seen playing in his prime playing days.
Team really has bought into what he is selling and they are young enough to where they can still improve in some areas....and THAT in itself should be enough to put other teams on notice.

That all said, right now, their Achilles heel is still goaltending.
Who anchors down and becomes the go-to guy in net?
Scott Darling? Petr Mrazek? Curtis McElhinney?
Maybe they need to go get someone else?

It is fantastic the team has great chemistry, offense, speed, and a winning mentality, but at the end of the day, they STILL need a guy who can stop the puck when it comes down to it.
If they want to be taken as a serious contender, a streaky goalie or fragile minded goalie, or injury prone goalie simply will not do.

I think the Canes are definitely on the right track. If they get a reliable everyday goaltender (or maybe one of their in-house guys steps up to that role), they could very well challenge for the top spot in their division for seasons to come.

About time too.....

I think the key is they are having fun.   Williams has led this team with a new identity in Raleigh.  

These win celebrations are are all apart of an infectious enthusiasm.

@hf101

I was wondering about this.
Watched a Canes game the other day, then saw them skate and slide all over the place after doing that clap thing.
Was thinking to myself, "What the heck is going on here??"

Obivously, this is all part of having fun, getting the fans more involved and just gaining mindshare in the sports scene in the Carolinas.
Good tactics, I must say.

However, and I thought of this because I have seen "fun celebrations" in baseball go awry, I also started to think that this slipping and sliding all over the ice are a recipe for something bad to happen.
I mean, fun is fun, I get it..... but sheesh..... am I the only one that:

A) Sees a player pulling a groin while trying to slide?
B) Sees a player possibly sliding TOO much into an endboard?
C) Sees a player or two colliding...possibly catching a teammate accidentally with a skate?
D) Sees someone high sticking someone by accident?

LOL...not trying to be a killjoy here, because honestly, I thought this whole thing IS fun, but just sayin.....
I've seen walk off celebrations in baseball, all fun too, end in one guy falling in the middle of the bouncing pile and end up with strained ligaments, broken something or the other, or jammed digits!

Since some of those, those baseball walk off celebrations have been toned down a bit.

Hey...the Canes are winning, and they are making a party of it and inviting the fans, that is awesome.
I just wonder what will have to happen before management says, OK, enough of that already....  :ahappy:

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

• 3 months later...

Now Carolina team in my mind too, especially I am paying more attention to Hurricanes after the Nino's trade from the Wild. Definitely, the team has good  potential. Last night the team had a shutout 4:0 against Pittsburgh - their goaltending was outstanding despite a solid Penguins pressure. Nino had 1 assist in that game. And Svechnikov put a pretty important goal also.

• 7 months later...

New 2019-2020 season Carolina Hurricanes team started  nicely with  3 wins( 2 in OT and 1 in SO) against of pretty tough teams - Canadiens, Capitals and Lightning by placing  total 11 goals. Interesting , that our Wild's former player Erik Haula was able to put a goal in each game(total 3 goals). But Nino does not have any points yet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 10:15 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Beauty!

Agree. At least it is a goal of the year of the 2019-2020 season. Just a beauty of the puck control with a stick during a crucial minutes of the game by Andrei Svechnikov. Look  how this player  is so valuable for the Carolina team at his age, and at the same time our Wild (50 goals scorer in OHL) young prospect Dmitry Sokolov who was playing together with Andrei Svechnikov in same line and creating the best chemistry in OHL was sent on Monday from AHL to ECHL. And we are consistently and stupidly talking about a Wild team rebuild, when our coaches and GM not capable to see the treasure under our feet and placing it even deeper into the dirt. It would be nice if Sokolov will be traded to Carolina and to see him playing successfully with Svechnikov - nice communication among the players producing the best results. Our Wild coaches do not get that axiom.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@yave1964

Allright I thought I would ask this since you follow the Canes too.

WTF did they drade Ned?

Why?  And got nothing in return basically this was one of the strangest trades of all.

Why are the Canes plan in goal?

Ned was only 25.

I know you like this for your Wings.

But this makes no sense at all...

🤬

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@yave1964

Allright I thought I would ask this since you follow the Canes too.

WTF did they drade Ned?

Why?  And got nothing in return basically this was one of the strangest trades of all.

Why are the Canes plan in goal?

Ned was only 25.

I know you like this for your Wings.

But this makes no sense at all...

🤬

yzerman said with a straight face to that question to ask the Canes GM lol

the only thing that I get is the money the Canes figure they can land mrazek for that and would rather have him for that money. mrazek drank himself out of Detroit and damn near out of the game but since straightening his life is the goalie that he looked like early in his career again. i love nedeljkovic and think he is an upgrade but a tandem of mrazek and bernier is not horrible. love it for the wingwwe have no goalie in the system who will ever see an nhl game big Ned is a great bridge at the least until Cossa comes to the NHL in a few years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I get is the money the Canes figure they can land mrazek for that and would rather have him for that money.

Signed with the Leafs.

So they have both spot filled.

I’m told the Andersen deal with the

will come in as a 2 yr deal at around 4.5 M per yr.

@pilldoc

Raanta to sign with

on a 1 Yr Deal .

Edited by OccamsRazor

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@pilldoc

Raanta to sign with

on a 1 Yr Deal .

Edited 46 minutes ago by OccamsRazor

WTF????   Canes are screwing themselves in net.  Raanta can't stay healthy and has burned me and others in FHL .......

So the Canes now have Reimer / Raanta / Bernier ......  that is F'ed up.

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Signed with the Leafs.

So they have both spot filled.

I’m told the Andersen deal with the

will come in as a 2 yr deal at around 4.5 M per yr.

@pilldoc

Raanta to sign with

on a 1 Yr Deal .

wow. love raanta very underrated  and Andersen as a leaf goalie really was very good until last year buuuut i woulda rather had Ned and mrazek and saved money to boot. i wonder if Andersen signing had to do with the uproar over trading nedlojkovic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

WTF????   Canes are screwing themselves in net.  Raanta can't stay healthy and has burned me and others in FHL .......

So the Canes now have Reimer / Raanta / Bernier ......  that is F'ed up.

Reimer won't be back.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

agreed. usually five seconds after you or I trade for him lol

This is one that cannot be blamed on me.  I've never had him in any league and have no use for him.   If he's reading this, he'll be injured before he's finished with the paragraph.

• Haha 2