The Zebras so far this season...

Fargocase

1 hour ago, EJ0226 said:

My point I was trying to point out is that you look at refs in NFL. They are pretty consistent with each other. Most stuff is going to get called by all of them. Those refs aren't going to allow a penalty go by if they can see it.  In the NHL you got some refs that will continue to allow team after team to hook, cross check, hold, etc well the another ref is going to call those. And these refs are watching it happen right in front of them. I mean players literally know what penalty a ref is going to let them get away with. That is the issue. Players should be always thinking if I do this penalty I am going to get called not this ref lets this penalty slide so I will do it.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I've seen variances between NFL referees and MLB umpires (even on the same crew). I try not to watch the NBA.

I kind of find this thread amusing because all everybody did was complain about how old and slow the Wild were to begin with, and then over the Summer all Fenton did was bring in older and slower guys, supposedly making it worse. People weren't happy with Hendricks because he was an old, slow guy. Fehr was even older and even slower. Same with Read. Old. Slow. Needs to retire.

But now being old and slow absolutely cannot be the reason for the Wild racking up penalties. It's because the refs are garbage and have it in for the Wild.

6 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I've seen variances between NFL referees and MLB umpires (even on the same crew). I try not to watch the NBA.

I kind of find this thread amusing because all everybody did was complain about how old and slow the Wild were to begin with, and then over the Summer all Fenton did was bring in older and slower guys, supposedly making it worse. People weren't happy with Hendricks because he was an old, slow guy. Fehr was even older and even slower. Same with Read. Old. Slow. Needs to retire.

But now being old and slow absolutely cannot be the reason for the Wild racking up penalties. It's because the refs are garbage and have it in for the Wild.

Not me. Old players getting called for infractions because they can't keep up - aren't the zebra's fault, nor are they bad calls.

-

A ref standing there in a corner watching Wild players get held, hauled down from behind, hooked, slashed or cross checked 6-7 times (like in Parise's case) and not call a penalty is in my opinion a worthless referee. 

Or when Boogaard steps foot on the ice during a stoppage in play and getting a 10 minute game misconduct, ejected... That's a BS call.  The list goes on and on. None have anything to do with being old; just screwed over.

How often have the Wild been beat to chit by other players with cheap crap and not once get a call in their favor? How often have Wild players been boarded, knocked unconscious and the ref only calls a 2-minute minor? That doesn't happen to other teams.

How often does the Wild play through some of the beat-down (cheap shots) and gain momentum, then get a phantom call against them that takes them right out of the game? It's happened.

First off, Given our PP in general, I'm not as concerned with the lack of calls in our favor. It saves me the yelling "DECLINE". :D 

There have been some tough games called by the refs, Especially the 'Tap the stick' game.

I think the discrepancy between the PP and PK #'s is more about our team and it's play. Yes we are slow and have thinned out any speed between the lines, But mostly we don't control the puck for any length of time. When we have on those rare moments we've made the other team commit the penalties. 

We can't control the puck when many of our players can't receive a pass cleanly. Then there's the set play plan that we try to force. All these lead to easy turnovers and then we (being slower) have to chase down the transition and then making it easy for the refs to call something. 

I've noticed quite a few BS calls so far this season.  It's caught my attention.  The Wild seem to be getting the short end of the stick in almost every game.  Maybe we should track the penalties and call them bs or fair as we go forward and see what the number show.  The total penalties for vs against go beyond statistical error.  I think it's something to watch.  The good news is that statistically speaking, we should start seeing that disadvantage tilt in our direction.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, IllaZilla said:

I agree they still can vary a little but nothing compared to NHL refs. Literally players will know what they can get away with based on the refs. So one ref will call hooking well another will watch players get dragged down and just ignore it. But yea, if you really want horribly refs look no further then NBA.

I 100% agree with your last statement. I am seeing a lot of people saying it's bad refs but what about the fact we are the oldest team and don't have a lot of speed. That isn't a good combo.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:08 AM, ClusterChuck said:

First off, Given our PP in general, I'm not as concerned with the lack of calls in our favor. It saves me the yelling "DECLINE". :D 

There have been some tough games called by the refs, Especially the 'Tap the stick' game.

I think the discrepancy between the PP and PK #'s is more about our team and it's play. Yes we are slow and have thinned out any speed between the lines, But mostly we don't control the puck for any length of time. When we have on those rare moments we've made the other team commit the penalties. 

We can't control the puck when many of our players can't receive a pass cleanly. Then there's the set play plan that we try to force. All these lead to easy turnovers and then we (being slower) have to chase down the transition and then making it easy for the refs to call something. 

Cluster you really hit the nail on the head. I often wonder if other teams realize that a penalty against them for the Wild really doesn't hurt them so they continue to do it. Really think about it. Teams know they can play the cheap stuff on us. We don't hurt them for doing it. Instead we hot potato in our zone for a good 20 to 30 seconds only to dump the puck in to where one of their defenders is sitting so it's a easy clear. It's almost like teams are just going to play the hurt us before we change of penalties.

I agree with Illa Zilla...they're human.  IMO, they are no worse than in previous years.  The Wild often don't move their feet enough to draw penalties.  Tough to say they're obstructing you when all you were doing was standing still in the first place.  

To expect perfection from them is ludicrous.  And, yea, Suter and Parise pretty much control this team...because all it takes is one phone call to Craig and they get whatever they want.  

58 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

To expect perfection from them is ludicrous.  And, yea, Suter and Parise pretty much control this team...because all it takes is one phone call to Craig and they get whatever they want.  

Ludacris?    What does a second rate rapper have to do with officiating in the NHL?

Back to the thread - Please point out anywhere In this thread where anyone demanded perfection.   It's a no chit Sherlock they are human and going to make mistakes.

But the fact is - supported by numbers from NHL.com when I started this thread - that there was a significant disparity in penalty calls for and against the Wild.  My perception is since the Carolina game, that has been a noticeable and concerning trend.  Will that trend reverse over the next 10 games?  I hope so.   You can rationalize that it's due to the Wild's team speed and style of play but I'm don't buy that claim based on my personal observation.  I've seen plenty of interference that could and should have been called on the other team, too.   My theory is we're seeing a manifestation of a league wide lack of respect for the Wild team on the part of the officials.   Is there some grand conspiracy by the zebras to screw the Wild?  AGAIN - I highly doubt that.  More of a subconscious tendency on their part, I think.

Back to the 2nd rate rapper.  Personally, I think it is ludicrous that any adult would truly think that Parise and Suter control the Wild organization and call Leipold and tell him what to do with his team.  Put on your tin aluminum foil hat, they might try and control your brain, too.  Do you have any factual evidence to support that outrageous claim?

As of 15:10, Oct 29 - 54 penalties called against the Wild, 31 penalties called against Wild opponents.  The WIld are a  -23 in only 10 games.   Rationalize it however you want, them's the numbers. 

And now they're going on an extended road trip.  Anyone think the Wild will maintain even that poor penalty differential?  I think it's going to go up even more.

Another number - the Wild have the fewest recorded turnovers in the league, only 57.  But everyone knows the Wild are always throwing the puck away, right?  They NEVER complete a pass...   🙄

17 hours ago, Fargocase said:

As of 15:10, Oct 29 - 54 penalties called against the Wild, 31 penalties called against Wild opponents.  The WIld are a  -23 in only 10 games.   Rationalize it however you want, them's the numbers. 

And now they're going on an extended road trip.  Anyone think the Wild will maintain even that poor penalty differential?  I think it's going to go up even more.

Another number - the Wild have the fewest recorded turnovers in the league, only 57.  But everyone knows the Wild are always throwing the puck away, right?  They NEVER complete a pass...   🙄

On Foxsports.com it shows the Wild have 36 PP and 49 PKs as of today. We are a minus 13 on that end which is second worst. Canucks own the title at minus 15. It's still bad but I have seen a lot of lazy penalties from players. When we know the refs are not going to favor us talking lazy penalties is horrible.

Not surprised the Wild have the least amount of TOs with their dump and chase. If they counted dump and chase as a TO the Wild would be leading the pack for sure. They technically are throwing the puck away with that style of play so.... people are correct on that end.

53 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Not surprised the Wild have the least amount of TOs with their dump and chase. If they counted dump and chase as a TO the Wild would be leading the pack for sure. They technically are throwing the puck away with that style of play so.... people are correct on that end.

Yep, And being the oldest ave age team (AKA slowest), The D+C makes little sense. Not picking on Stalock but he gives it away 9 of 10 times when he 'plays' the puck which is usually just ringing it around the boards. That basically is another turnover since it ends up on the other team's stick.

The NHL is looking at these statistics as well. IMO things will "even themselves out" by the end of the season. And if the Wild ends up with a lot less power plays than shorthanded situations this year, there's probably a good reason for it.

There is no conspiracy by the refs against the Wild. Period.

Why would a referee have a "lack of respect" for the Wild or any team for that matter? I'm sure refs get along better with some teams than others, but the most important fundamental of being a ref is to be unbiased, presiding over the game with a neutral point of view.

3 hours ago, sweetshot said:

The NHL is looking at these statistics as well. IMO things will "even themselves out" by the end of the season. And if the Wild ends up with a lot less power plays than shorthanded situations this year, there's probably a good reason for it.

There is no conspiracy by the refs against the Wild. Period.

Why would a referee have a "lack of respect" for the Wild or any team for that matter? I'm sure refs get along better with some teams than others, but the most important fundamental of being a ref is to be unbiased, presiding over the game with a neutral point of view.

100 % agree....except fans of every NHL team will always think the zebra's have a bias against them. Just read any game thread ever created, "so and so was breathed on wrong, no call ="s WTF ".

IMO it's just nature to always want calls be be in favor of...

On 10/29/2018 at 3:01 PM, Fargocase said:

Ludacris?    What does a second rate rapper have to do with officiating in the NHL?

Back to the thread - Please point out anywhere In this thread where anyone demanded perfection.   It's a no chit Sherlock they are human and going to make mistakes.

But the fact is - supported by numbers from NHL.com when I started this thread - that there was a significant disparity in penalty calls for and against the Wild.  My perception is since the Carolina game, that has been a noticeable and concerning trend.  Will that trend reverse over the next 10 games?  I hope so.   You can rationalize that it's due to the Wild's team speed and style of play but I'm don't buy that claim based on my personal observation.  I've seen plenty of interference that could and should have been called on the other team, too.   My theory is we're seeing a manifestation of a league wide lack of respect for the Wild team on the part of the officials.   Is there some grand conspiracy by the zebras to screw the Wild?  AGAIN - I highly doubt that.  More of a subconscious tendency on their part, I think.

Back to the 2nd rate rapper.  Personally, I think it is ludicrous that any adult would truly think that Parise and Suter control the Wild organization and call Leipold and tell him what to do with his team.  Put on your tin aluminum foil hat, they might try and control your brain, too.  Do you have any factual evidence to support that outrageous claim?

That's because you love the owner.  Those two run the team.  Its been hinted at, by many...even those close to the organization.  But hey, I'll leave you to your fantasies.  

Frankly, the Wild have been outworked most games, which is not conducive to getting calls. In any sport (esp. amateur boxing) the harder and more aggressive worker is going to get the benefit of the doubt on close calls.

Tonight's game at STL was a glorious example of the Wild outworking an opponent, and getting rewarded with lots of PPs.

21 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Never changes.  Wins - the Wild out-worked the opponent.  Losses - they got out-worked.

Sort of the default answer. I think when the players get interviewed after every single game about why did you win or lose, they run out of things to say.

Archived