Why are the Kings sucking?

yave1964

The Kings are off to a god awful start, 2-6-1  a total of five points, 30th in the NHL only one point ahead of the awful Red Wings. They have had team meetings with the Coach, players only meetings, everything and anything has been tried with nothing working.

It was not supposed to be that way. Ilya Kovalchuk signed with the Kings in the offseason to provide secondary scoring, Jeff Carter was expected to be healthy after missing most of the pervious season, Drew Doughty resigned on a long term deal. A whole season of Phaneuf would help the blueline.

It hasn't worked out well. Dustin Brown had a career year last season but has missed the first nine games with injury. Quick got injured in his first start and missed time and has been borderline awful since returning. Kopitar had a fantastic season last year this year he has 3 points in the first 9 games. The big four on defense, Phaneuf, Martinez, Doughty and Muzzin who were supposed to be among the games best defenses have one paltry goal and are a combined minus 15.

Forget secondary scoring, Iafello leads the team with 7 points in 9 games, Toffoli leads the team with a paltry 3 goals. The three best offensive forwards are Carter/Kovie/Kopitar in 26 games have 13 combined points.

So in short. why the Kings are so awful this year, the defense is indefensible, the offense isn't scoring and the goaltending is putrid. I visited a Kings forum and all they keep talking about is how slow they all look. So all the thirty somethings lost a step together overnight. Not good.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

It hasn't worked out well.

Yeah not really sure about this.

Maybe Stevens has lost his cake baking skills.

What i would do is trade them Elliott and Wiese and maybe something else to take Quick off their hands.

And maybe even take a contract back from them to help them out capwise. A Trevor Lewis or Kyle Clifford.

Some type of draft pick compensation maybe too. Depends on what that would be.

It would give the Flyers some solid goaltending till Hart is ready and then Quick could tutor/backup Hart.

I don't think you have to look any further than the Kings are second from worst in goals per game at 1.9, slightly ahead of only Arizona, who is at 1.8 GPG. Even if their goaltending is as good as it was during their Cup years, they are going to have hard time winning a lot of games. That puts a lot of stress on goaltending and defense, and they aren't good enough to carry them for long stretches. I expected Kovalchuk to have more goals at this point than 2, which is why I had him on my fantasy team. Maybe it's Stevens system, or something else, but their offense looks highly disorganized. As far as Stevens goes, I just don't think he is the right guy to lead them as head coach/

15 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I don't think you have to look any further than the Kings are second from worst in goals per game at 1.9, slightly ahead of only Arizona, who is at 1.8 GPG. Even if their goaltending is as good as it was during their Cup years, they are going to have hard time winning a lot of games. That puts a lot of stress on goaltending and defense, and they aren't good enough to carry them for long stretches. I expected Kovalchuk to have more goals at this point than 2, which is why I had him on my fantasy team. Maybe it's Stevens system, or something else, but their offense looks highly disorganized. As far as Stevens goes, I just don't think he is the right guy to lead them as head coach/

Yeah I have wondered about Stevens as the right fit, the offense seems ordinary and while I admit to only watching a couple of periods of Kings games the fan site is ripping Stevens for his line combos.

To me I think the reasons for the Kings sluggish at best start:

1)Brown going down. He is a heart and soul guy and is sorely missed.

2) Quick getting hurt and looking pretty bad since coming back.

3) Doughty putting too much pressure on himself with the new deal.

4) Team speed or lack thereof.

5) Stevens.

Team speed may actually be the biggest culprit. Todays game is so fast and this is the largest collection of thirtysomethings in the game and without speed you get left in the dust.

Archived