What should be done with Nino?

Hockey-78

11 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

I'm not so sure. Against the Blues his TO or plain foolish play caused the Blues' 1st goal and I don't think his passing in general has improved recently. I can give you he had more kick in his strides but if you're poorly positioned or reading the play wrong better skating alone doesn't help you. Zero shots on goal against the Blues is a pretty telling stat. Koivu had zero and Parise one so at least they have solidarity. 😉

Seriously, how pleased can we be if our other "top" scoring line gets only two shots on goal in 60 minutes? I know I know, I'm being too critical.

Honestly at this point I don't think anybody can claim injury. Something is really messed up in his head. He has regressed to the point he looks like a rookie playing his first NHL games with his errors. A lot of those errors he is committing should not be happening at this stage of his career with the amount of time he has had in the NHL. Maybe he needs some time in the AHL to get his head right and give the confidence he once had. I don't know but I think the team should be open to trying something to get him going besides just letting him eat a ton of time and providing nothing when other players could be in that spot contributing to the team.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

If you sent him down would he have to clear waivers?

I hate it when guys get premium ice time when it's not deserved.

Doubtful Iowa is an option for a 5 million player. 

Someone on here would know better than I but I believe two way contracts are for newer fringe guys like Seeler and Greenway?

1 minute ago, 63firebird said:

Doubtful Iowa is an option for a 5 million player. 

Someone on here would know better than I but I believe two way contracts are for newer fringe guys like Seeler and Greenway?

Niederreitter would never make it through waivers. Some GM would claim him. And if he did make it through waivers, Iowa would then have to pay his $5M salary, not the Wild. That would kill that club financially.

I'm not sure what Nino's deal is. I still think they need to make him a healthy scratch just to get him to clear his head. I think he's trying too hard and listening to like twelve different people. But they must see something he is doing right, because he is still getting his regular amount of ice time and with decent line mates... 

After Nino finally scored one, It has seemed to help a bit in his play. We'll see in the next few games. I'll bet Boudreau is now afraid to have him sit out a few days (or week) as it might crush any confidence from that goal. He had most the summer to get away from it yet nothing changed from late last season to this one, I doubt sitting out a few games will actually do anything.

Coyle hasn't shown much change since his goal. Still bumbling around.

4 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Coyle hasn't shown much change since his goal. Still bumbling around.

True but at least he's sound defensively. Some of Nino's decisions in the defensive zone are horrible, with or without the puck which of course have to be non-foot injury related. Got to be some mental issue like few of you have suggested. I see some trend in here from the CF days: you earn a lot, you play a lot, slump or not. I wonder if BB really wants to give him those minutes or someone above him...

26 minutes ago, 63firebird said:

I just saw a stat that in 2015 the three leading scorers on the Wild was Parise, Coyle,Nino!!!!

What the hell happened????

Last year Nino and Coyle were hurt and played hurt.  No big mystery.  Injuries are a fact of life in the NHL.  The team's doing OK even though Nino's slumping.  Coyle isn't getting a ;lot of points but he's playing pretty good IMO on lower lines.

I still laugh at the fools who complained Parise didn't score a ton of goals and points IMMEDIATELTY right after he came back from major back surgery mid-season.  But it's the age of nano-second memories and attention spans so not surprising. 

On 11/13/2018 at 5:30 PM, Fargocase said:

Last year Nino and Coyle were hurt and played hurt.  No big mystery.  Injuries are a fact of life in the NHL.  The team's doing OK even though Nino's slumping.  Coyle isn't getting a ;lot of points but he's playing pretty good IMO on lower lines.

I still laugh at the fools who complained Parise didn't score a ton of goals and points IMMEDIATELTY right after he came back from major back surgery mid-season.  But it's the age of nano-second memories and attention spans so not surprising. 

If Nino's issue is more mental then why is he on the PP regularly? That means more plays to remember at a time he needs to focus on his regular game. Same question with Coyle. Why is he on the PP while his 'game' isn't all there? There are plenty of others who could fill the role if those two weren't on the PP. I'd rather see Foligno replace one of those since he's playing solid. Reward the good players.

I think everyone here wants Coyle (Myself included) to do well...Take the next step...Be all you can be... :P  But how long do we keep thinking that? Right now he's the Charlie Brown of the team.

It was good to hear Parise say it's the best he's felt in 5 years, And now he's proving it.

We would be a better team if Nino and Charlie were going, right?  So as long as we are winning as a team, why not try to help them get going by putting them in good situations.  The more guys we can "get going" the better.  If we start losing again, then we will need to shift gears to get the wins.  But for now, let's give them chances.

44 minutes ago, DirtofMinny said:

We would be a better team if Nino and Charlie were going, right?  So as long as we are winning as a team, why not try to help them get going by putting them in good situations.  The more guys we can "get going" the better.  If we start losing again, then we will need to shift gears to get the wins.  But for now, let's give them chances.

Would we be better? Not necessarily if its at the expense of other players who are currently doing well. I certainly wouldn't want to lose the momentum the Wild has right now worrying too much about Coyle and Nino. I realize in order to have any success in the playoffs you have to have production from these two, but since they are winning right now, don't mess with the line combo's trying to get them going. For now keep doing what you're doing and let whatever the issue is work itself out.  

Besides, I don't believe that BB putting Coyle or Nino in what he would consider a situation that may jump start them will have any affect, anyway. Especially Coyle. Been there--done that. 

I remember toward the end of the season 2 years ago the Wild went into a tailspin the last 3 weeks of the season after being nearly at the top of the league the rest of the year. The Wild were still winning late that year but had recently given up a lot of goals while doing so. BB made a couple of comments about how they needed to shore that up before the playoffs started. Well', whatever they did (I could never figure it out because suddenly the team started having multiple issues) killed their momentum and they never got it back for the rest of the year.

Nino has clearly been playing better the last half dozen games, at least.   Giving up on him or trading him away for little or nothing is ridiculous.   He'd without a freakin doubt be claimed off waivers if the Wild would trey and send him to the AHL, which is a ridiculous suggestion.

IMO some of you are way under-estimating how much Coyle has been contributing.   I know lots of people don't understand this, but there's a lot more to the game than what the score sheet shows.  

Would the Wild be a better team if Coyle and Nino play better?   Huh?!  WTF?!  Of course the team would be better!   It's not a case of taking minutes from anyone, it's them doing more with the minutes they are already getting.  

I remember toward the end of the season 2 years ago the Wild went into a tailspin the last 3 weeks of the season after being nearly at the top of the league the rest of the year.

IMO that was due 100% to the roster being totally phucked up by the addition of one of the slowest players in the NHL - Hanzal.  After being forced to watch him lumber up and down the ice, I am 100% of the opinion he's at or very near the top of the list for most over-rated NHL players.  I don't blame BB for that much, he was trying to get a huge square peg into a small round hole.   I blame Fletcher for acquiring a player that was a very, very bad fit.  The team got much worse when Haula was demoted and BB tried to fit Hanzal in.   Another Moulson!  I'm baffled how professional NHL player personnel guys can make such stupid decisions about players.  Even more crazy was Buffalo gave Moulson a big contract after he showed he wasn't even an NHL caliber player any more!

27 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

. BB made a couple of comments about how they needed to shore that up before the playoffs started. Well', whatever they did (I could never figure it out because suddenly the team started having multiple issues) killed their momentum and they never got it back for the rest of the year.

Anyone who knows anything about the game knew that the Wild were toast after Suter broke his ankle.  And when Parise went down even the last tiny glimmer of hope for a miracle was gone.

1 hour ago, Fargocase said:

Anyone who knows anything about the game knew that the Wild were toast after Suter broke his ankle.  And when Parise went down even the last tiny glimmer of hope for a miracle was gone.

What?? I wasn't talking about last year--anybody who knows how to read would have known that.

2 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Nino has clearly been playing better the last half dozen games, at least.   Giving up on him or trading him away for little or nothing is ridiculous.   He'd without a freakin doubt be claimed off waivers if the Wild would trey and send him to the AHL, which is a ridiculous suggestion.

IMO some of you are way under-estimating how much Coyle has been contributing.   I know lots of people don't understand this, but there's a lot more to the game than what the score sheet shows.  

Would the Wild be a better team if Coyle and Nino play better?   Huh?!  WTF?!  Of course the team would be better!   It's not a case of taking minutes from anyone, it's them doing more with the minutes they are already getting.  

IMO that was due 100% to the roster being totally phucked up by the addition of one of the slowest players in the NHL - Hanzal.  After being forced to watch him lumber up and down the ice, I am 100% of the opinion he's at or very near the top of the list for most over-rated NHL players.  I don't blame BB for that much, he was trying to get a huge square peg into a small round hole.   I blame Fletcher for acquiring a player that was a very, very bad fit.  The team got much worse when Haula was demoted and BB tried to fit Hanzal in.   Another Moulson!  I'm baffled how professional NHL player personnel guys can make such stupid decisions about players.  Even more crazy was Buffalo gave Moulson a big contract after he showed he wasn't even an NHL caliber player any more!

Lest we forget the other Coyote we got with Hanzal--Ryan White--played here 19 games and never played another game in the NHL.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, Fargocase said:

I don't recall anybody saying much of anything about Parise when he returned--the majority of folks had a hopeful "wait and see attitude" about him coming back.

Just now, sweetshot said:

What he's contributing doesn't add up to $3.75M.

10 hours ago, sweetshot said:

What he's contributing doesn't add up to $3.75M.

Two seasons ago Coyle put up 56 points. For $3.75M. That is very team friendly. Especially considering Nino put up 32 points for $5M in the same season. And Coyle has steadily improved his stats every year (with the exception of last season) to his peak of almost 60 points two years ago. Ninos best is 32 points. 

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Two seasons ago Coyle put up 56 points. For $3.75M. That is very team friendly. Especially considering Nino put up 32 points for $5M in the same season. And Coyle has steadily improved his stats every year (with the exception of last season) to his peak of almost 60 points two years ago. Ninos best is 32 points. 

Nino's best is 57 points from the same season Coyle put up 56. 32 points is Nino's worse in the Wild jersey, from last year.

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I don't think thats correct. Nino and Coyle have pretty much been on identical paths productionwise the past 5 years, even last year when both were injured. Nino is a minus player so far this year but even with his bad start has only one less point than CC.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:16 AM, Fargocase said:

Fargo, I don’t think I have ever read a post of yours that was more accurate!

You hit that square on the head. 

Archived