What should be done with Nino?

Hockey-78

9 games, 0 goals, only 14 SOG. On top of that -2 for a guy who's always had a + stat on Wild jersey, now 2nd worst in the team. Clearly something isn't right. Is he injured, that broken fibula still bothering or something else? Did his gf leave him?

In any case, might be useful to do something about it. Bench him? Give him more ice time 5 on 5? Give him much more ice time on the PP? Or do you think this slump will go away by itself?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion,at this time, it should be done nothing. He is always a pretty useful experienced player in any offensive lines.  I think Nino redirected a Fehr's goal into the net(or was very close to perform that redirection) against LA Kings.  He will not stay in any waivers position, because most NHL teams will grab this smart player any time. Yes, he has a difficult start this season, but hope, he will have an impressive finish 👍.

@Hockey-78 IMO Nino has been the only Wild player who has consistently shown scoring potential on any line they put him on. If a top-6 winger goes into a slump they can insert him on those lines and get results.

When he's gained an opportunity in a top-6 position for any length of time and either of those lines don't produce, they shove him back to the third or fourth line and he's still been prone to scoring.

That is until this year (so far.) Usually when a line change is made it's not necessarily due to him not producing, but to someone on a lower line producing more or someone else on his line (seemingly) needing a line change to spark their play. In the last 5 years he's been one of the more consistent goal scorers on the team no matter where they put him.

Maybe this is the year they need to move him to a line to create the spark instead of someone else.

So two votes for he'll get by it without any actions and one vote for putting him on a better line. I think what would make sense is to put him on Granny's line since he's by far the puck distributor on this team. Maybe he could create a few tasty scoring chances fro Nino. On the top of my head I can't recall those two being too much on the same line ever and even if they've been, did they have chemistry? Either way, despite winning we need to get him scoring. 10 games without a goal is unacceptable and/or not in the team's best interest in the long run.

Actually regarding this slump I had recollection of Pominville's scoring slump (one of many) couple of years ago. We had a poll in the Wild Message Board for how long would it last. I think it was something like 20 games, anyone remember? Hopefully Nino finds his game sooner than that.

If the line that Nino is on scores, does it really matter if Nino doesn't?

As long as he contributes let it ride, if not, either move him to a checking line or trade him.

My biggest issue, unless he has changed recently is his total fear of contact.

I think Nino is a shadow of himself.  He's not even producing shots on goal most of the time.  He often fritters away the puck needlessly and is completely allergic into going into the high traffic areas of the ice.  I think he's looking like an empty well.  

I'm not sure how his confidence has hollowed out this bad, but IMO, right now...he's a waste of a roster spot.  

Honestly he has been probably the most consistent player for the Wild. This year something is really going on. Either he is hurt or he has some huge mental thing going on. The shots aren't coming. He isn't playing the style he normal does. He has become such a shadow I almost forgot he is on our team. Right now, I agree he is a waste of roster space. He needs to start getting the shots going again and not be a Koivu and avoid all contact.

Might as well add Coyle here since they both are 'struggling'. Pretty much every scoring set up or opportunity gets muffed by either one of them if the puck ends up on their stick. Put Nino, Coyle and maybe Greenway on a line together as a 4th line (since or current 4th is doing well and should move up) so they could possibly get their game to a halfway decent level and some chemistry instead of screwing up all the other lines by continually inserting them throughout the line up. I'm tired of having our good players having to 'get them going' instead of what they could be achieving.

44 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Might as well add Coyle here since they both are 'struggling'. Pretty much every scoring set up or opportunity gets muffed by either one of them if the puck ends up on their stick. Put Nino, Coyle and maybe Greenway on a line together as a 4th line (since or current 4th is doing well and should move up) so they could possibly get their game to a halfway decent level and some chemistry instead of screwing up all the other lines by continually inserting them throughout the line up. I'm tired of having our good players having to 'get them going' instead of what they could be achieving.

Last season I wanted Coyle to be traded and still not a big fan of his but as things stand I'd rather watch him two seasons for $3,2 mil. per than Nino four seasons for $5,25 mil. per. I think there's a significant difference in their level of play. Granted, neither of them are living up to expectations and yet, there is where the similarities stop. Put scoring aside, Nino has become a defensive liability too, very careless with the puck. Although Coyle's maybe not playing to his strenghts but he's not a turnover machine either.

So yeah... I wouldn't add Charlie in the same category but what do I know.

17 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Last season I wanted Coyle to be traded and still not a big fan of his but as things stand I'd rather watch him two seasons for $3,2 mil. per than Nino four seasons for $5,25 mil. per. I think there's a significant difference in their level of play. Granted, neither of them are living up to expectations and yet, there is where the similarities stop. Put scoring aside, Nino has become a defensive liability too, very careless with the puck. Although Coyle's maybe not playing to his strenghts but he's not a turnover machine either.

So yeah... I wouldn't add Charlie in the same category but what do I know.

I would agree.  Lethargic defense by #22 led to the Sharks first goal...and then a lazy change by Nino helped contribute to the situation that resulted in their 2nd one.  Charlie hasn't bothered me as much this season.  He's shooting a bit more, but he still allows defenders to funnel him to the perimeter way too easily.    

The main reason I added Coyle was because of the similarities of losing the puck more times than not just like Nino. I'm not giving up on Charlie but if he were to be traded even for a pick I wouldn't be upset. Nino is playing like what was said of him prior to coming here. He proved that wrong for a few seasons but the drop off has been unbelievable. This is more than a 'slump'.

On the Sharks first goal I wasn't sure who botched the coverage. Nino or Dumba. Should Dumba have followed his man (Like Suter did) towards the wall thus vacating the front of the net? If that's the proper way then Nino didn't recognize the situation and cover the area and his man. Can't have these mental mistakes.

A big difference is their skating, too. In my original post I wondered if that broken fibula is still bothering Nino or has his offseason training been mostly Piña Coladas on the golf course? No spring in his step, lack of kick, his skating looks like we're in the middle of February! I've never regarded him as a lazy player so I'm trying to bring mysef to think it's something physical. I guess the medical staff would withhold that information even if there was a hint of such...?

Did it take something like 20 games into the season when Pominville scored his 1st of the season couple of years ago? And did he take beating for it in the Wild boards. Hopefully Nino doesn't break that "record".

Speaking of Pominville: 15 games, 8 goals, 14 points. Ugh... :bonkingheadonwall:

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

A big difference is their skating, too. In my original post I wondered if that broken fibula is still bothering Nino or has his offseason training been mostly Piña Coladas on the golf course? No spring in his step, lack of kick, his skating looks like we're in the middle of February! I've never regarded him as a lazy player so I'm trying to bring mysef to think it's something physical. I guess the medical staff would withhold that information even if there was a hint of such...?

Did it take something like 20 games into the season when Pominville scored his 1st of the season couple of years ago? And did he take beating for it in the Wild boards. Hopefully Nino doesn't break that "record".

Speaking of Pominville: 15 games, 8 goals, 14 points. Ugh... :bonkingheadonwall:

I still can't figure it out but what is the biggest block stopping the players from doing this here but they leave and start doing it.

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

I would agree again...he has ZERO jump in his skates.  His stride is slow, lumbering and often looks labored.  As far as I know, he's healthy and healed.  I think he's a pretty comfortable player with little pressure to perform up to expectations...

4 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

I still can't figure it out but what is the biggest block stopping the players from doing this here but they leave and start doing it.

Pominville only had 34 points last year and was a -17. I'll wait to see how he does for the entire season.

7 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Pominville only had 34 points last year and was a -17. I'll wait to see how he does for the entire season.

True but the Sabres were a garbage team last year. We weren't garbage when Pommer was with us nor do the Sabres seem to be this season. Plus statistically he might have already already scored more goals than Nino this season.

But like Crease already mentioned, Nino has a nice contract in his pocket. Does he really has to push himself to limits now? On the other hand this is Pommer's contract year - ding ding! 🤑 Coincidence he's found his form again... I'm thinking not.

6 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

True but the Sabres were a garbage team last year. We weren't garbage when Pommer was with us nor do the Sabres seem to be this season. Plus statistically he might have already already scored more goals than Nino this season.

But like Crease already mentioned, Nino has a nice contract in his pocket. Does he really has to push himself to limits now? On the other hand this is Pommer's contract year - ding ding! 🤑 Coincidence he's found his form again... I'm thinking not.

I wasn't comparing JP to Nino. I was responding to the post "what is the biggest block stopping the players from doing this here but they leave and start doing it".

There seems to be a few supporting the notion that there is a plethora of players who don't produce with the Wild that get traded or let go and their production goes up with their new team.

I just said it's too early to say that in JP's case--especially because of the year he had last year.

9 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I'm sure every player's goal as they make their way through the system is to get that 'Payday' contract. Provide for their family etc etc.

Pomms has 1 more chance to get another and must still enjoy playing but I agree, No coincidence. Why not with the #'s given out to average players.

Great to see Nino's genuine reaction to his goal. I don't expect him to be a scoring machine now but the grip on the stick may ease a bit.

Something always changes in a player after that big contract and Nino's no different. Look at Zucker, Same thing. Got the Payday and he even used the C word when talking about it.

He said he was "Comfortable" now. Made me cringe to hear that and his results are showing it somewhat.

Human nature I guess.

10 hours ago, 63firebird said:

Nino has looked better with Parise and Koivu. He somehow looks like 12 people are telling him what to do and overthinks everything. 

I'm not so sure. Against the Blues his TO or plain foolish play caused the Blues' 1st goal and I don't think his passing in general has improved recently. I can give you he had more kick in his strides but if you're poorly positioned or reading the play wrong better skating alone doesn't help you. Zero shots on goal against the Blues is a pretty telling stat. Koivu had zero and Parise one so at least they have solidarity. 😉

Seriously, how pleased can we be if our other "top" scoring line gets only two shots on goal in 60 minutes? I know I know, I'm being too critical.

Archived