Wild assigns Greenway to Iowa

wild.source

ST. PAUL -- Minnesota Wild General Manager Paul Fenton today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has assigned forward Jordan Greenway to the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Greenway, 21, recorded one assist and eight shots on goal in nine games with Minnesota this season averaging 11:22 in TOI/game. The 6-foot-6, 227-pound native of Canton, N.Y., signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Wild on March 26, 2018, and made his NHL debut on March 27 at Nashville. He recorded 35 points (13-22=35) and 52 penalty minutes (PIM) in 36 games during his junior season at Boston University last season and helped the Terriers claim the 2018 Hockey East Tournament Championship and advance to the NCAA Northeast Regional Final. 

If you want to read the rest of the article here is the link:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/greenway-iowa-102618/c-301312400

As they should have done.  He's looked mostly overwhelmed out there.  IMO, this is precisely why you make a player prove themselves in the AHL first.  Yes, he could work pucks down low, but that was really about it.  He was a liability just about every place else.  Hopefully he'll perform well in Iowa where he's expected to play at least 2 games.  

42 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

As they should have done.  He's looked mostly overwhelmed out there.  IMO, this is precisely why you make a player prove themselves in the AHL first.  Yes, he could work pucks down low, but that was really about it.  He was a liability just about every place else.  Hopefully he'll perform well in Iowa where he's expected to play at least 2 games.  

I agree.  Although I assume it would take quite a bit more than 2 games to elevate his play to nhl standards

Minnesota No. 18 Jordan Greenway assigned today to Iowa Wild, per TSN Hockey transactions.

Well. Some of the Wild faithful on this board suggested this. Have to admit I'm surprised, and encouraged, so see it. We all want Greenway to succeed (I do) but this shows management isn't giving anybody a free ride to the show. Learn it then earn it. Thanks, Mr. Fenton. 

I like that they've sent him down but I don't like that it's already been put out, repeated by BB after the Colorado game, that it will be for only two games.  Make it at least two weeks or more.  I don't care he got a hat trick right away.  Obviously he's a young player with a lot to learn.  Here's a question - long term, is it better for the kid to develop in the NHL right away or start n the AHL?   IMO better for him as a player, and therefore the team in the long run, to get that AHL time.

Problem is you've got guys like EEk and Ted Brown's kid wasting roster spots.   Nino isn't much use right now, wither, but hopefully he'll come around.

1 hour ago, Fargocase said:

I like that they've sent him down but I don't like that it's already been put out, repeated by BB after the Colorado game, that it will be for only two games.  Make it at least two weeks or more.  I don't care he got a hat trick right away.  Obviously he's a young player with a lot to learn.  Here's a question - long term, is it better for the kid to develop in the NHL right away or start n the AHL?   IMO better for him as a player, and therefore the team in the long run, to get that AHL time.

Problem is you've got guys like EEk and Ted Brown's kid wasting roster spots.   Nino isn't much use right now, wither, but hopefully he'll come around.

Agree on Greenway and Brown.    Not quite as sure JEE.  I think he's impressive on the forecheck and defensive responsibilities.  Yeah, his offensive output is poor.   But, coming off IR, I'd like to see a couple more games from him at left wing before jettisoning him off to Iowa.

On 10/26/2018 at 3:17 PM, DevinWieser said:

ST. PAUL -- Minnesota Wild General Manager Paul Fenton today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has assigned forward Jordan Greenway to the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Greenway, 21, recorded one assist and eight shots on goal in nine games with Minnesota this season averaging 11:22 in TOI/game. The 6-foot-6, 227-pound native of Canton, N.Y., signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Wild on March 26, 2018, and made his NHL debut on March 27 at Nashville. He recorded 35 points (13-22=35) and 52 penalty minutes (PIM) in 36 games during his junior season at Boston University last season and helped the Terriers claim the 2018 Hockey East Tournament Championship and advance to the NCAA Northeast Regional Final. 

If you want to read the rest of the article here is the link:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/greenway-iowa-102618/c-301312400

Archived