Game 11: Islanders at Flyers, 10/27 @ 1

Howie58

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Touche’ ....  I actually meant to type “one of the better players in the league “ but yeah I get your point.

Dude is top 10-20 in the league, he doesn't suck.

He has carried the team for stretches, in fact for years, if he wasn't scoring ain't no one scoring...

Crosby can't do it all, MacKinnon... none of these dudes can do it all, all the time. I do think Giroux is still a top tier talent.

What I have noticed is he hasn't been hard enough on the puck or a half step slow so far this year.

He's making the move but guys are getting their sticks on the pucks and breaking up the play.

MacKinnon's breakaway was a head's up play by 29, 28 was waiting on the puck to load up the one timer. that was a play of inches...Last year Giroux was not missing those chances, this year, he's had bad luck or hasn't been quick enough or hasn't pushed the puck to where only he can get it on the rush.  Will he make the adjustment ? Can he ? I don't doubt he's "in decline" .  He's still this team's most skilled player. He's one of 25 that looks lost.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the years, I ask myself this question: Would Ken Holland do this?

I don't think Holland would look at the Flyers today and determine that its Claude Giroux that should go, and I think that he firmly belongs in the "keep good players" portion of Bill Torrey's great quote

"It's no secret, it's not complicated. Get good players." to which I long ago added "... and keep good players."

Giroux is a good player (better than that, but you get my meaning). The key is to improve the players who can be improved on, and you will never get back equal value for a player like Giroux. In a time where hockey trades are gone in favor of dealing contracts, I don't see how you can win a deal where you trade.

Would Ken Holland do that? To my mind, not in a million years. He kept his good players.

On 10/28/2018 at 2:51 PM, pilldoc said:

Let's be honest here how many truly "superstar" like seasons has he truly had.  I'm not arguing that he isn't a star player. He is, but he is jus not in the Tavres / Stamkos / Crosby / Ovie / McDavid realm.  We joke that as Giroux goes so goes the Flyers. 

Please realize I am playing devils' advocate here....  Also you mentioned that out best player is not playing like the team's best player.  So the question also begs to be asked...Why?  Outside of last year he certainly is far from being the best player in recent memory ...... 

Those players, along with the other two mentioned later on in the thread (Kane and MacKinnon) that Giroux is being compared with, ALL share one thing that he doesn't....they were taken 1st overall. Giroux was taken 22nd. The fact that he's outscored any of those guys even once is pretty impressive....let alone that he's outscored several of them over the years.

I wouldn't call him a superstar. Then again,  out of those 8 players I'd only call Crosby and McDavid superstars. The others have way too many holes in their game.

Archived