Avalanche's Top Line - NHL's Best Line

Hockey-78

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen... pretty safe to say at this point that's the best line in the league at the moment. They're fast and loaded with high end skills. Everyone with a good shot and none of them hesitates to use it. Even Landeskog seems to concentrate more on playing than his usual shenanigans.

What do you think?

In their first 11 games Rantanen , Mackinnon, and Landeskog have combined for an impressive 53 points.

Rantanen 5 goals - 15 assists - 20points,  Mackinnon 9 goals - 9 assists - 18 points,  Landeskog 9 goals - 6 assists- 15 points.

They are a threat not only on the PP but also 5 on 5.

I wish I had one of them on my fhl teams.  lol.

Fantastic line for sure....but as long as the team doesn't have reliable secondary scoring, they likely won't get very far even if they make the post season.

Defense used to be another problem for the Avalanche, but even there they have improved by leaps and bounds.

Granted, they still don't seem to play the type of "shut down" defense one usually thinks of, but when you have a team as fast as they have AND being led by the aforementioned MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Rantanen, plus you have Semyon Varlamov playing like a Vezina candidate, then really, the actual defense can just be "good enough", and it will be fine to garner wins in the regular season.

But we all know the playoffs are a different animal.
And as good as MacKinnon's line is, without secondary scoring (maybe from a line led by Kerfoot or Soderberg), all teams would need to do is focus their efforts on shutting down the top line, and the Avalanche suddenly aren't as threatening on offense, and then the defense gets exposed just a bit more.

Right now, hard to argue for a line better than the one presented here (though Boston's top line is pretty darned good too), but Colorado's championship fortunes go as far as the 2nd and 3rd lines can help boost the top boys.

@Hockey-78

I hadn't seen your writeup about the Avalanche line when I posted a poll asking who everyone thought was the best line in the game. I personally go with Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak but it is razor thin the difference between them,  I feel the Boston line is better defensively is all but you could clearly make a case either way.

BTW why hockey 78? trying to figure out the moniker..

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

@Hockey-78

I hadn't seen your writeup about the Avalanche line when I posted a poll asking who everyone thought was the best line in the game. I personally go with Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak but it is razor thin the difference between them,  I feel the Boston line is better defensively is all but you could clearly make a case either way.

BTW why hockey 78? trying to figure out the moniker..

Yeah, can't deny that Boston line isn't any good and like you said, probably better defensively. I just put more weight on offensive prowess + speed. Mac and Rant are fast as hell and Land is no slouch either.

😊 moniker? Nothing much in it. I was born in 1978 and Hockey just for the obvious reason. Decided to go with something that's easy to remember.

Archived