Minnesota Wild vs. Edmonton Oilers 10/30/18 @ 8:00PM CST at Rogers' Place

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Oilers Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (6-3-2)  14pts  5th in the Central

2.80 Goals For Per Game (22nd in the NHL)

2.80 Goals Against Per Game (8th in the NHL)

13.9% Power Play (27th in the NHL)

85.4% Penalty Kill (6th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Zach Parise ~ 3G 8A = 11pts

2. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 5G 5A = 10pts

3. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 3G 7A = 10pts

4. #16 Jason Zucker ~ 4G 5A = 9pts

5. #12 Eric Staal ~ 3G 4A = 7pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #21 Eric Fehr ~ 12 PIM’s

2. #12 Eric Staal ~ 10 PIM’s

3. #36 Nick Seeler ~ 9 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (5-2-2)  2.19GAA  .937%SP

2. #32 Alex Stalock (1-1-0)  3.45GAA  .879%SP

Vs.

Edmonton Oilers (6-3-1)  13pts  2nd in the Pacific

2.90 Goals For Per Game (21st in the NHL)

3.00 Goals Against Per Game (18th in the NHL)

25% Power Play (11th in the NHL)

75.8% Penalty Kill (20th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #97 Connor McDavid ~ 9G 8A = 17pts

2. #93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ~ 3G 9A = 12pts

3. #29 Leon Draisaitl ~ 6G 5A = 11pts

4. #25 Darnell Nurse ~ 1G 4A = 5pts

5. #22 Tobias Reider ~ 0G 5A = 5pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #27 Milan Lucic ~ 16 PIM’s

2. #18 Ryan Strome ~ 8 PIM’s

3. #16 Jujhar Khaira ~ 7 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #33 Cam Talbot (5-3-1)  2.67GAA  .909%SP

2. #19 Mikko Koskinen (1-0-0)  3.05GAA  .889%SP

MNSOTA wrote up the game preview.  I'll be on the post-gamer this evening.  The Wild better have a much better effort if they want to at least split this back-to-back.  The young, fast Canucks made Minnesota look pretty old and slow last night.  Expect the Oilers to try to play a high tempo game right from the start.  I'm going to guess Alex Stalock gets the start.  Enjoy and discuss!  

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard a phrase at my work, which I would like to share - Real team is not a group of people who work together, but real team is a group of people who highly trust each other. The same we could say about any sports team, including a hockey team.  If no trust to/between some players in the team than it is not is a real team but it is just a group of players.  
Another phrase was regarding a mistakes at work - any person capable to make mistakes, but you have an obligation to learn from those mistakes. If you do not learn from it than you will be a persistent source of troubles/problems in the team.

I really don't care if they trust in each other if the team started to show up to play right at the start of the game.  Too many guys sort of occupying roster spots and doing little out on the ice.  

I'd fine #3 anytime he doesn't take the chance to carry the puck to the net.  Doesn't take the chance and instead circles back towards the wall to wait for reinforcements...$500 fine.  It may not be that painful, but collectively for how many times he passes it up...maybe he'll learn to be more assertive instead of playing like a little guy all of the time.  

The message Boudreau gave today was they needed to be ready to go to work right away.  Not sure why you'd have to remind professionals of that, but here we are nonetheless.  

45 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I really don't care if they trust in each other if the team started to show up to play right at the start of the game.  Too many guys sort of occupying roster spots and doing little out on the ice.  

I'd fine #3 anytime he doesn't take the chance to carry the puck to the net.  Doesn't take the chance and instead circles back towards the wall to wait for reinforcements...$500 fine.  It may not be that painful, but collectively for how many times he passes it up...maybe he'll learn to be more assertive instead of playing like a little guy all of the time.  

The message Boudreau gave today was they needed to be ready to go to work right away.  Not sure why you'd have to remind professionals of that, but here we are nonetheless.  

It is a good message to the team. And agree why to remind every time to professionals to play hard all 60 minutes every game? 
Here is my guess 🤔 - maybe team's dietitians developed a wrong diet to our players, which is not boosting them(especially aged players) with a consistent energy?
I listened recently a lecture about a more healthier and more energy boosting diet, which includes daily diversity of more colored berries like pomegranates, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, kiwi , black sweet and sour cherries and many etc.  Goji berries should be excluded from our diet as well as tofu and green wheat sprouts, because they are not as healthy as we thought. Actually also most soy bean products are not good for us too.🙃.

25 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

It is a good message to the team. And agree why to remind every time to professionals to play hard all 60 minutes every game? 
Here is my guess 🤔 - maybe team's dietitians developed a wrong diet to our players, which is not boosting them(especially aged players) with a consistent energy?
I listened recently a lecture about a more healthier and more energy boosting diet, which includes daily diversity of more colored berries like pomegranates, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, kiwi , black sweet and sour cherries and many etc.  Goji berries should be excluded from our diet as well as tofu and green wheat sprouts, because they are not as healthy as we thought. Actually also most soy bean products are not good for us too.🙃.

Or there are a lot of very VERY comfortable veterans with big, long contracts...and little pressure.  

Here's to hoping that the Wild come home with 50%+ of the max available points from this roadtrip. Last night was kinda 'meh' so hopefully they'll be more ready this time.

And for the love of cheese, start by scoring the first goal!

I wonder which Wild will dirty his underwear when he sees Lucic steaming at him? Lack of physical play and ability is evident with the Wild. On the other hand, the whole league is like that. They don't even check anymore properly. OIlers have Lucic, Nurse and Kassian - who do we have? Let's see if they try to run us down.

40 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

I wonder which Wild will dirty his underwear when he sees Lucic steaming at him? Lack of physical play and ability is evident with the Wild. On the other hand, the whole league is like that. They don't even check anymore properly. OIlers have Lucic, Nurse and Kassian - who do we have? Let's see if they try to run us down.

No doubt the Wild may have their hands full with Edmonton top six, but don't give TOO much credit to guys like Lucic and Kassian.

First off, Lucic is not the same guy who played in Boston or even Los Angeles.

For whatever reason, despite playing on a team with one of the league's best offensive players, he has actually 'toned down' his game to where he is a non factor most nights.

As for Kassian, I don't know, obviously I don't know him personally, but to see him play, he seems to think like a caveman out there.
I see little evidence that there is any 'smarts' to his game.

Vancouver did a good job with the checking game and they contained Minnesota Wild chances.....the Oilers WON'T be as good, even though they present a danger in more skilled players overall.

If it comes down to guys like Lucic and Kassian wanting to muck things up against Minnesota, then we should have enough with Foligno, JT Brown, Greenway, and Nino. 
Those guys have either size or enough grit in their game to at least cancel out whatever guys like Lucic or Kassian wanna dish out.
Same goes for guys like Pateryn and even Suter on defense...they can deal with the 'ruffians' of the NHL just fine.

If I am Minnesota, I'd be more concerned with guys like McDavid, RN Hopkins, or Leon Draisaitl embarrassing them as they shoot through the middle of the ice.

THAT is gonna be the Wild's challenge tonight: who can keep up with Edmonton's top six guys, not so much what their bottom six goons are gonna do.

4 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I've also seen diets where they suggest eating vegan before 6pm.....so breakfast and lunch are vegan and dinner is an omnivore meal. But of course then you're probably adding soy/tofu to the diet. But perhaps what needs to happen is that each player has a food sensitivity makeup run on them. Some may be mildly lactose or gluten intolerant and just chalk it up to indigestion when if they would simply eliminate certain foods from their diet it would make a difference.

One thing I would suggest is drinking alkaline water. You would think it wouldn't make a difference, but the Western diet is highly acidic. I have lactose intolerance and I avoid it as much as possible, but I generally find myself with an upset stomach. I've started drinking alkaline water and it makes a HUGE difference. I bought a water bottle that alkalizes the water: https://www.dyln.co/

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

No doubt the Wild may have their hands full with Edmonton top six, but don't give TOO much credit to guys like Lucic and Kassian.

First off, Lucic is not the same guy who played in Boston or even Los Angeles.

For whatever reason, despite playing on a team with one of the league's best offensive players, he has actually 'toned down' his game to where he is a non factor most nights.

As for Kassian, I don't know, obviously I don't know him personally, but to see him play, he seems to think like a caveman out there.
I see little evidence that there is any 'smarts' to his game.

Vancouver did a good job with the checking game and they contained Minnesota Wild chances.....the Oilers WON'T be as good, even though they present a danger in more skilled players overall.

If it comes down to guys like Lucic and Kassian wanting to muck things up against Minnesota, then we should have enough with Foligno, JT Brown, Greenway, and Nino. 
Those guys have either size or enough grit in their game to at least cancel out whatever guys like Lucic or Kassian wanna dish out.
Same goes for guys like Pateryn and even Suter on defense...they can deal with the 'ruffians' of the NHL just fine.

If I am Minnesota, I'd be more concerned with guys like McDavid, RN Hopkins, or Leon Draisaitl embarrassing them as they shoot through the middle of the ice.

THAT is gonna be the Wild's challenge tonight: who can keep up with Edmonton's top six guys, not so much what their bottom six goons are gonna do.

Good assessment. One thing the Oilers did when they acquired youth was they put them together on lines and left them there to develop. Something the Wild refuse to do.

-

Chiming right in there with Alexandron... There are trust issues with this club. Veteran players didn't trust the young guys (going back when Zucker, Nino, Coyle, Granlund, Haula, Tuch, Graovac, Reilly, Olofson, Keumper, Spurgeon and a whole host of players no longer here... Veteran players often, refused to pass the puck to those guys and while the coaches were all but screaming for the younger guys to take more shots - simply put they weren't given many opportunities. Upon having opportunities they frequently passed it back to some veteran, forced the pass and got burned. That created a huge crutch to the team and it's still present to a fair degree.

I'm still bugged Yeo never put Zucker - Haula - Coyle (or Nino) on a line together. Yes there would have been growing pains but not doing so was incredibly detrimental to the team. They would not be in the position they are today had they taken chances back then. Instead they're still mixing youth with age and all that's done is mask how depleted the aged ones really are.

Our team doesn't see it but other teams do. This is why there's lulls in the first period. Veterans are pacing themselves while the young guys are zipping all over and they're timing is way off.

3 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Good assessment. One thing the Oilers did when they acquired youth was they put them together on lines and left them there to develop. Something the Wild refuse to do.

-

Chiming right in there with Alexandron... There are trust issues with this club. Veteran players didn't trust the young guys (going back when Zucker, Nino, Coyle, Granlund, Haula, Tuch, Graovac, Reilly, Olofson, Keumper, Spurgeon and a whole host of players no longer here... Veteran players often, refused to pass the puck to those guys and while the coaches were all but screaming for the younger guys to take more shots - simply put they weren't given many opportunities. Upon having opportunities they frequently passed it back to some veteran, forced the pass and got burned. That created a huge crutch to the team and it's still present to a fair degree.

I'm still bugged Yeo never put Zucker - Haula - Coyle (or Nino) on a line together. Yes there would have been growing pains but not doing so was incredibly detrimental to the team. They would not be in the position they are today had they taken chances back then. Instead they're still mixing youth with age and all that's done is mask how depleted the aged ones really are.

Our team doesn't see it but other teams do. This is why there's lulls in the first period. Veterans are pacing themselves while the young guys are zipping all over and they're timing is way off.

Last night LIG and I were shaking our heads as to why we continued to put Nino and Coyle on the ice on say the power play.....yet Greenway was nowhere to be seen. Don't get me wrong, he still has some earning of icetime to do, but the limited play he got last night since returning was certainly better than those 2 lumps.

@MNSOTA I can see why they put Coyle and Nino out there but they never feed them the puck. A few years ago the Wild finally put both of them in front of the net and it paid dividends. It paid off well enough I claimed someone's not getting enough attention (Koivu) and in short order the PP went back to sleepy as usual.

It's also painfully obvious the Wild have no clue how to set up a screen with a big body or two in front of the net without double / triple pumping fake shots and never pulling the trigger.

Then to add to that 'fiasco' both Nino and Coyle are afraid of getting hit by a puck. Our players know it because they never pull the trigger when they're clogging the middle, and other teams know it because they don't even tie them up or push them out of the way. lol

2 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

@MNSOTA I can see why they put Coyle and Nino out there but they never feed them the puck. A few years ago the Wild finally put both of them in front of the net and it paid dividends. It paid off well enough I claimed someone's not getting enough attention (Koivu) and in short order the PP went back to sleepy as usual.

It's also painfully obvious the Wild have no clue how to set up a screen with a big body or two in front of the net without double / triple pumping fake shots and never pulling the trigger.

Then to add to that 'fiasco' both Nino and Coyle are afraid of getting hit by a puck. Our players know it because they never pull the trigger when they're clogging the middle, and other teams know it because they don't even tie them up or push them out of the way. lol

Yeah, that as well.

Minnesota Wild at Edmonton Oilers – 9:00 EST

REFEREES

Graham Skilliter #24 TJ Luxmore #21
  GS24.jpg TL21.jpg
Games 18-19 10 11
Career Games 338 257
First NHL Game 1/28/13 11/19/13
Birthplace La Ronge, SK Timmins, ON
Goals/Gm 6.3 (5) 5.6 (37)
PP/Gm 2.7 (38) 3.4 (4)
Penl/Gm 3.3 (37) 3.9 (10)
PIM/Gm 8.0 (34) 8.8 (18)
% of Penl on Home 45.0% (37) 47.0% (23)
More Penl on Rd % 23.0% (5) 14.0% (14)
Home Win % 43.0% (38) 58.0% (14)
Home Rec. 31-41 42-31
OT/SO Games 24.0% (16) 27.0% (8)
Calls by Period 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd
2017-18 38% 38% 24% 37% 35% 28%
Team Records 17-18 16-17 15-16 17-18 16-17 15-16
MIN 2-3 4-2 4-3 2-3 5-1 2-1
EDM 1-4 4-3 2-4 0-2 1-3 3-2

LINESMEN

Ryan Daisy #81 Steve Barton #59
  RD81.jpg SB59.jpg
Games 18-19 10 5
Career Games 134 1147
First NHL Game 10/13/16 11/1/00
Birthplace Mansfield, MA Vankleek Hill, ON

And I was correct in my preview......the lines with McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins, and Draisaitl are lethal. But since it was just after the PP expired, all three of them were on the ice together.

Archived