Minnesota Wild vs. Edmonton Oilers 10/30/18 @ 8:00PM CST at Rogers' Place

CreaseAndAssist

10 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

Glad you caught that. In the penalty topic people are saying it's just bad refs being unfair to the Wild well people like me and others have said it's because they are older and slower. We are no longer a speed team. We are also the oldest team in NHL. That is a very bad combination that is resulting in taken so many penalties. Glad Parise said it out loud.

Who is slower exactly? Koivu was already slow. Suter, Parise, Staal maybe but I can't really tell. Dumba, Granlund, CC, Nino, Zucker, Brodin, Spurgeon, Seeler, EEK, Greenway---None of the above. They are all still in their prime and IMO haven't slowed down. Don't know much about Brown or Read. Foligno--I don't know, maybe. He was never all that fast anyway.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Who is slower exactly? Koivu was already slow. Suter, Parise, Staal maybe but I can't really tell. Dumba, Granlund, CC, Nino, Zucker, Brodin, Spurgeon, Seeler, EEK, Greenway---None of the above. They are all still in their prime and IMO haven't slowed down. Don't know much about Brown or Read. Foligno--I don't know, maybe. He was never all that fast anyway.

You forgot the guy who is leading the team in penalties...Eric Fehr. 

5 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Because he's slow?

Fehr, IMO has made quite a few boneheaded 'Koivu' type penalties. Mostly from being out of position, trying too hard and the timing of some of them has just been terrible. You know... The kind of penalties where you sit there thinking, why the hell did he just do that?

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

@sweetshot 

To me the correlation between player's speed and the amount of PIMs is pretty strong when you look at the stats.

Wild PIMs.png

Its been 12 games. Can we get a bigger sample??

Maybe your a player that generally takes a lot of penalties or your just not very good.

A players ability seems to follow this trend somewhat as well.

I will say that the more physical players are generally not as fast as other players because it's the nature of their game, maybe they've got to play that way to compete or that's just always been their style. And physical players take more penalties. 

I still don't see a bunch of Wild players slowing down.

Coyle is, once again, unexplainable.

34 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Its been 12 games. Can we get a bigger sample??

Maybe your a player that generally takes a lot of penalties or your just not very good.

A players ability seems to follow this trend somewhat as well.

I will say that the more physical players are generally not as fast as other players because it's the nature of their game, maybe they've got to play that way to compete or that's just always been their style. And physical players take more penalties. 

I still don't see a bunch of Wild players slowing down.

Coyle is, once again, unexplainable.

Sweet, there are all the games played this season - can't provide you more! ☺️

Of course there are many other factors involved than just speed. TOI, who you play against, overall ability to stop the opponent, etc. But I'm still with Parise on this one. Let's get back on this in a month, huh?

3 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Sweet, there are all the games played this season - can't provide you more! ☺️

Of course there are many other factors involved than just speed. TOI, who you play against, overall ability to stop the opponent, etc. But I'm still with Parise on this one. Let's get back on this in a month, huh?

Sure. But if there are so many factors, how can you just focus on speed?

IMO he's just using speed as a metaphor for smarter/quicker decision making on the ice,  ie "playing faster".

1 hour ago, sweetshot said:

Sure. But if there are so many factors, how can you just focus on speed?

IMO he's just using speed as a metaphor for smarter/quicker decision making on the ice,  ie "playing faster".

I'm not focusing, I said there's a strong correlation. If Parise is focusing, IMO he has a well founded reason. More games, then we'll know more too.

7 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I'm not focusing, I said there's a strong correlation. If Parise is focusing, IMO he has a well founded reason. More games, then we'll know more too.

Like I said, he's using the word speed metaphorically---because with all the age on this roster nobody is going to be able to skate any faster😉...

Didn't they just win 6 of 7?

3 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Like I said, he's using the word speed metaphorically---because with all the age on this roster nobody is going to be able to skate any faster😉...

Didn't they just win 6 of 7?

Most of the players on the Wild roster are older guys, very few younger guys. I would like to see more talent on the Wild roster. To do that would make Fletcher get rid it the veteran's on the team that are getting overpaid. I am talking about Parise, Koivu, Patteryn, and Coyle. Give them a lower $ amount and if they leave, they leave. If they don't and they sign their next contracts, so be it. But they are overpaid. Koivu is not a vocal captain, Patteryn doesn't do s***, and Coyle doesn't do anythin either. Someone needs to send the memo to Fletcher. Nylander sounds like a really good acquisition for the Wild. A young Canadian center. 48-87-135 in his career via (https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/n/nylanwi01.html).

7 hours ago, DevinWieser said:

Most of the players on the Wild roster are older guys, very few younger guys. I would like to see more talent on the Wild roster. To do that would make Fletcher get rid it the veteran's on the team that are getting overpaid. I am talking about Parise, Koivu, Patteryn, and Coyle. Give them a lower $ amount and if they leave, they leave. If they don't and they sign their next contracts, so be it. But they are overpaid. Koivu is not a vocal captain, Patteryn doesn't do s***, and Coyle doesn't do anythin either. Someone needs to send the memo to Fletcher. Nylander sounds like a really good acquisition for the Wild. A young Canadian center. 48-87-135 in his career via (https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/n/nylanwi01.html).

Who is this Fletcher you speak of? The GM of the MN Wild is a gentleman by the name of Paul Fenton.

16 hours ago, DevinWieser said:

If they're under contract you can't just decrease their pay. They have to wait until their contracts end.

Archived