Rask vs. Halak - #1 goalie?

Hockey-78

Tuukka Rask has been Bruins' #1 goalie for a number of years but is he now in the verge of being replaced as a starter by Halak?

Surprisingly Halak has played as many games as Rask so far, 6 to each, but his numbers are much better .945, 1.43 than Rask's .902, 3.15.

In any case, what a catch by the Bruins. Cap hit of only $2.75 mil. for Halak, for two years. One of Sweeney's better signings. Or what do you think?

For now, I look at it as the Bruins having a GOOD kind of problem....who is their number one, just based on the numbers.

Looks like it is a timeshare right now, but to be honest, in the long run, I think Tuukka Rask is still the starter in Boston.

Yes, Halak has better numbers through the same amount of games this year, but if you look at career numbers, Halak is right now, playing well above his career averages while Tuukka is playing below his.

Could very well be this turns out to be a career year for Halak (he wouldn't be the first netminder to have that, then go back to his regular numbers afterwards....or worse), but if there is a such thing as 'law of averages', then Rask, barring injury, should go on a run at some point where his numbers go back to more or less what they usually are, while the same is true for Halak the other way.

As for the signing of Halak by the Bruins, yes, fantastic, based on what they've gotten out of him for the money.
But again, a dozen games in? Hard to say Halak should be the starter over Rask just yet.
Tuukka has the proven track record, while Halak has more or less been all over the place.

I say Boston continues to give each their time in net and just go with the hot hand in critical stretches.
But I have the feeling that eventually, that will still be Rask.

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

Tuukka Rask has been Bruins' #1 goalie for a number of years but is he now in the verge of being replaced as a starter by Halak?

Surprisingly Halak has played as many games as Rask so far, 6 to each, but his numbers are much better .945, 1.43 than Rask's .902, 3.15.

In any case, what a catch by the Bruins. Cap hit of only $2.75 mil. for Halak, for two years. One of Sweeney's better signings. Or what do you think?

I clamoured for him when the Isles put him on waivers headed to Bridgeport (for the Flyers)...could have got a nice audition before even signing him to a longer deal.....couldn't have been worse than the sh it show they currently have in goal now...

...oh well at least my Eagles won a Super bowl....i can hand y hat on that for 40 more years....

Halak's gonna get a real stiff test tonight.
He has been tabbed as the starter against the Carolina Hurricanes who literally RAIN SOG on opposing goalies.
Canes are at the top of the league in firing pucks at goalies...they are young, fast, hungry, and if Halak isn't ready, he could easily find himself down by 2 or 3 goals after the 1st period.

I get the sneaking suspicion that teams that are very offensive minded would give him more trouble than ones that aren't.
As long as the Bruins can limit the shots (gonna be hard to do against the Canes) Halak can play like a Vezina candidate.
He thrived under the defensive system in place before in St. Louis...didn't do so well with the Habs and Islanders who did NOT have as stout of a defense.

Boston usually plays good defense, and coincidentally, he is doing well again...…..albeit still, small sample thus far.
Rask on the other hand, seems to play well regardless of how Boston plays in front of him....yes, he would do better with better defensive structure, but I have seen him backstop games where the Bruins and their opponent are playing run n gun too.

Not sure what ails Rask to this point (could be a simple matter of 'early in the season'), but there will be several tests coming up, starting with Carolina, then with Nashville, and then with Dallas, that will test who really can handle the big boy shooters of the NHL.

And THAT is important because the Bruins reside in a division with two of the top scoring clubs in Tampa Bay and Toronto.

Halak with another superb game against the Canes. Things might get interesting between the pipes in Boston.

Yeah Brewin, slow start back then too but Khudobin wasn't able to challenge him. But now... I find this interesting since I've thought for a long Rask to be one of the TOP5 goalies in this league. Usually those guys don't get challenged.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Test passed.

... only if you and TFG had the same "stiff test" in mind, what metrics did you apply for this?😇 Personally, I wouldn't go there...

A harmless joke every now and then keeps things fresh.

You got a nice win against the Ducks Occam - congrats! Is Hakstol still placed on the ejection seat?

14 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

... only if you and TFG had the same "stiff test" in mind, what metrics did you apply for this?😇 Personally, I wouldn't go there...

A harmless joke every now and then keeps things fresh.

You got a nice win against the Ducks Occam - congrats! Is Hakstol still placed on the ejection seat?

Well the Canes started out hot and have cool some but they have a very good offense.

Their question i think is still in goal.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yes...one of many, but yea, he passed real well.

Canes, as usual, poured on the shots, and Halak turned aside 42 of 44.
Very good.

He has the 2nd best save percentage in the NHL at 947%

Varly leads with a 950%.

So all you can ask for is your goalie to give you the chance.

And he has done so. A lot of games left to play so we'll see how he holds up.

• 3 months later...
Guest gilbert003
On 10/31/2018 at 6:03 AM, stuyhutklison said:

As for me Rask is number 1

I totally do not agree with you on this, he's just number 2 for me. Peace!

17 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I do not agree with you not agreeing that Rask is a #1. @TropicalFruitGirl26 is an expert on goalies and I’m sure she will agree not not to agree that Rask is a #2. 

I can agree that I don't like Bruins players, especially goalies, because they get in the way of Tampa Bay goals.

However, I do have Rask on both my fantasy teams, so I have to agree that he is the unanimous number one, while still agreeing that Halak is a good back up...but do NOT agree that Halak can usurp Rask anytime soon.

That all said, I can agree Rask is still number one, no matter what other agreement polls say, but I do NOT agree that I have to actually LIKE him.
Don't agree with me?

Well, then, we can agree to disagree. ;)

Archived