Game 13: Flyers at Kings, 11/1 @10:30

Howie58

Greetings:

The odds types are split on this with the Kings as favorites by a smidgen:

https://sportschatplace.com/nhl-picks/2018/11/01/los-angeles-kings-vs-philadelphia-flyers-11/1/18-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction?utm_source=pickpapa&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=single-game-page

These are struggling teams; it's hard to imagine this could be our first back-to-back win. 

Our advanced statistic are actually quite good:

Advanced Statistics

Philadelphia is 10th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 51.6%, as they've attempted 706 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 661 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 51.4% as they have 519 attempts while they have given up 490 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 10th in the league. The Flyers start possessions in the offensive zone 48.3% of the time, which is 22nd in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 51.7% for the season. That is 10th overall in the NHL. They have 391 face-off wins compared to 293 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 57.2%. That ranks them 1st in the league. On defense Philadelphia has 281 hits and they have blocked 171 shots from the opposition, putting them 11th overall.

Somehow, it isn't translating into wins.  

They have played well in LA the last couple years.

They broke their losing streak.

Can they string together back to back wins for the first time this season??

Guess we'll see in fact i will say they will.

Flyers 4-2.

PROJECTED LINEUPS (Subject to change)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
22 Dale Weise - 40 Jordan Weal - 17 Wayne Simmonds
21 Scott Laughton - 15 Jori Lehterä - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 8 Robert Hägg
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 26 Christian Folin
6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas

37 Brian Elliott
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: 47 Andrew MacDonald (healthy), 39 Tyrell Goulbourne (recalled Oct. 28, could dress on fourth line), 33 Cal Pickard (healthy), 12 Michael Raffl (IR, lower body), 10 Corban Knight (IR, collarbone), 25 James van Riemsdyk (IR, lower body), 5 Sam Morin (ACL surgery).

KINGS

19 Alex Iafallo - 11 Anze Kopitar - 23 Dustin Brown
70 Tanner Pearson - 77 Jeff Carter - 73 Tyler Toffoli
17 Ilya Kovalchuk - 9 Adrian Kempe - 22 Trevor Lewis 
13 Kyle Clifford - 44 Nate Thompson - 41 Sheldon Rempal

24 Derek Forbort - 8 Drew Doughty
6 Jake Muzzin - 27 Alec Martinez
3 Dion Phaneuf - 7 Oscar Fantenberg

36 Jack Campbell
[31 Peter Budaj]

Scratches: 2 Paul Ladue (undisclosed), 78 Daniel Brickley (healthy), , 32 Jonathan Quick (IR, knee), 42 Gabe Vilardi (IR, back), 76 Jonny Brodzinski (IR, shoulder).
orangebubble.jpg

2 hours ago, brelic said:

This is a fantastic read if for nothing other than the clever references.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jaybr-Greenberg/Before-the-Weather-Gets-Cold-the-Flyers-Have-to-C8230/251/95614

"accomplishing less for their teammates than Mike York"

thanks for the link, this column is pretty entertaining.

28 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

"They are feeding off each other’s anxieties like Pat Falloon at a team buffet..."

🤪

That was a good line although I would have switched Falloon and York (see below):

Not a one. They are feeding off each other’s anxieties like Mike York Pat Falloon at a team buffet, trying harder to do it by themselves than even Ron Flockhart, and accomplishing less for their teammates than Pat Falloon Mike York.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

"accomplishing less for their teammates than Mike York"

thanks for the link, this column is pretty entertaining.

Jay is a good writer and has been covering the Flyers for a long time.  He has several books out including "Full spectrum" and the sequel, "The Flyers at 50".  They gave us a free copy of the book as STH during the ill fated 50th anniversary season and he was there in person to sign it.  I chatted with him for a few minutes and realized right away what a funny and engaging guy he was.  We talked a lot about the 1980s Flyers which he loved too and he signed my book to say something representative of  that era.  It was a cool experience.   

Welp, I honestly don't know what to expect when it comes tonight.   I won't be staying up for the game just in case they resort back to their soft perimeter play.   Are they gonna keep up the play in the tough areas or will be see more of the same?   Can never tell with this group....

We are outplaying the Kings and killing off a two-man penalty was a plus.  But Jeff Carter just scored on a PP to tie it.  But  49 seconds later, Lindblom feeds Simmonds for a blast to go back ahead. 

I heard the announcers during the game talk about Elliott is not practicing with the team because it was slowing his reflexes down due to players only going about 60 percent in practice. He has certainly looked like a different goalie the last 2 games. NAK's play has been a godsend to this team and Dale Weise, Chris Folin,and Jori Lehtera are starting to look like legitimate NHLers. The last 2 games with solid goaltending make the Flyers look like a different team. I actually enjoyed watching the game again.

3 hours ago, flyerrod said:

I heard the announcers during the game talk about Elliott is not practicing with the team because it was slowing his reflexes down due to players only going about 60 percent in practice. He has certainly looked like a different goalie the last 2 games. NAK's play has been a godsend to this team and Dale Weise, Chris Folin,and Jori Lehtera are starting to look like legitimate NHLers. The last 2 games with solid goaltending make the Flyers look like a different team. I actually enjoyed watching the game again.

3 hours ago, flyerrod said:

I heard the announcers during the game talk about Elliott is not practicing with the team because it was slowing his reflexes down due to players only going about 60 percent in practice.

Is this true??

If so i guess i could buy it.

Because damn on those screen shots sometimes all that is going to save you is the reflexes and he was sloooooow as hell sometimes not even moving.

Elliott during some of the game i seen...

Image result for slow reflexes gif

Good game last night.  Lots of positives, even though it came against the Kings.  They won b2b, got solid play up and down the lineup, goaltending was good, they scored early, didn't shrink when LA tied it and played well in the third even though LA was trying to anything to score a goal.  Patrick and Lindblom played well again.  Would like to see this as a trend.  San Jose and Arizona will be good tests.  It's hard to get too excited because we have seen this pattern in the past: play like crap and lose a bunch of game then look great and win a bunch of games only to look like crap again.  I'll enjoy the good hockey while it lasts.  Last two games have been refreshing and, dare I say, entertaining.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:23 AM, Poulin20 said:

Jay is a good writer and has been covering the Flyers for a long time.  He has several books out including "Full spectrum" and the sequel, "The Flyers at 50".  They gave us a free copy of the book as STH during the ill fated 50th anniversary season and he was there in person to sign it.  I chatted with him for a few minutes and realized right away what a funny and engaging guy he was.  We talked a lot about the 1980s Flyers which he loved too and he signed my book to say something representative of  that era.  It was a cool experience.   

Loved Jay when he was one of the beat writers (I think for the NJ Courier Post).  His columns were always solid and humorous.  I have Full Spectrum, which is a great book.  Probably the definitive history of the team through the date when it was published.

As a kid, I had a pretty good book which I think was called the Broad Street Bullies or something, although it covered into the early 80's as I vaguely recall pictures of Phil Myre and Peter Peeters included in the book.  Got it at the Berlin Mart probably in 1986 or so.  I was probably 11-12 at the time.  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  Anyone remember the author? 

12 hours ago, darthbal said:

Curious here... I just saw that Pickard is backing Elliott up tonight. Did Neuvirth chip a nail again?

Interesting.  I didn't notice really.  Did they say what the issue was?  I don't recall any of the beat writers mentioning it, unless I missed it.

6 minutes ago, vis said:

As a kid, I had a pretty good book which I think was called the Broad Street Bullies or something, although it covered into the early 80's as I vaguely recall pictures of Phil Myre and Peter Peeters included in the book.  Got it at the Berlin Mart probably in 1986 or so.  I was probably 11-12 at the time.  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  Anyone remember the author? 

Could it be the one by Jack Chevalier?  I had that one growing up.  Jack is the one who coined the Broad St. Bullies moniker. 

Archived