Neuvy Back on IR: Management Test?

Howie58

Greetings:

Neuvirth is back on IR and cannot play for at least four games. 

My question for the board:  Can they really bring him back, or is this time to say good-bye via waiver?  His presence is causing a disruption. It's time to see if Lyon or Stolarz can be backups. I just don't see how they can keep Neuvirth with the parent squad.

Have they said what's wrong with Neuvirth?  I mean, is it physical?  The "injury" issues with him are very absurd.  I've said it before, but I think there is something mentally going on with him.

2 minutes ago, vis said:

Have they said what's wrong with Neuvirth?  I mean, is it physical?  The "injury" issues with him are very absurd.  I've said it before, but I think there is something mentally going on with him.

Greetings:

It is groin:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/flyers-michal-neuvirth-shifted-to-ir/

We know this is the last year of his contract.  No responsible GM will want him in trade or sign as FA.  His career is effectively over. But I suspect he wants a paycheck.  But keeping him with the parent club clogs up potential development. It's a bad scene. 

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Neuvirth is back on IR and cannot play for at least four games. 

My question for the board:  Can they really bring him back, or is this time to say good-bye via waiver?  His presence is causing a disruption. It's time to see if Lyon or Stolarz can be backups. I just don't see how they can keep Neuvirth with the parent squad.

We say this every time. 

Logic and reason says "cut bait" every time, right? 

I'll be pleasantly stunned if this time is any different. 

The management test should be pretty simple at this point. With all due respect to Neuvy’s skills (sans all these gd recurring injuries), the decision should be an A or and F. If they don’t get rid of him, then it’s an F. 

I don't think you can waive him if he is on IR. But on the other hand, he should be off the books too. As soon as he is cleared to play, they would be wise to waive him and send him down before he injures himself again. I have nothing against his play but he is about as reliable as DUI driver....who is on his 10th DUI.....

24 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

As soon as he is cleared to play, they would be wise to waive him and send him down before he injures himself again.

Careful now, he could actually re-injure himself coming off IR.

😎

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

We say this every time. 

Logic and reason says "cut bait" every time, right? 

I'll be pleasantly stunned if this time is any different. 

But he is literally their best goalie when he plays.  How scary is that?

I tried to do a buyout on him and got the following.  

Buyout Calculator: Michal Neuvirth

Select a player and the date you wish to buyout the player on.

BUYOUT DATE:
                                     Buyout                                     Recapture 
                                      ANA                                      AZ                                      BOS                                      BUF                                      CGY                                      CAR                                      CHI                                      COL                                      CBJ                                      DAL                                      DET                                      EDM                                      FLA                                      LAK                                      MIN                                      MTL                                      NSH                                      NJD                                      NYI                                      NYR                                      OTT                                      PHI                                      PIT                                      SJS                                      STL                                      TBL                                      TOR                                      VAN                                      VGK                                      WAS                                      WPG 
 - All Players - Nicolas Aube-Kubel Sean Couturier Brian Elliott Christian Folin Claude Giroux Shayne Gostisbehere Tyrell Goulbourne Radko Gudas Robert Hagg Corban Knight Travis Konecny Pascal Laberge Jori Lehtera Oskar Lindblom Andrew MacDonald Michal Neuvirth Nolan Patrick Calvin Pickard Ivan Provorov Michael Raffl Travis Sanheim Wayne Simmonds James Van Riemsdyk Jakub Voracek Jordan Weal Dale Weise 

Player Details

Position: Goaltender

Age of Buyout Date: 30

At age 30 player's buyout will be 2/3 of the remaining salary due ($2,250,000). This will result in a total buyout of $1,500,000 with a base salary of $750,000 over each of the next 2 years.

Current Contract Breakdown

YEAR   BASE SALARY (CASH) SIGNING BONUS INCENTIVE CAP HIT
2016-17 Contract details by year $1,750,000     $1,625,000
2017-18 Contract details by year $2,250,000     $2,500,000
2018-19 Contract details by year $2,250,000     $2,500,000

Buyout Breakdown

YEAR   BASE SALARY (CASH) BUYOUT SAVINGS BUYOUT CAP HIT
2018-19 Contract details by year $750,000 $1,500,000 $1,000,000
2019-20 Contract details by year $750,000 -$750,000 $750,000
    $1,500,000  

I don't know if it too late in the game for this year or even CBA-feasible but these numbers for the coming year aren't bad.  It makes me wonder why or how they deluded themselves to think he would really be better with a third trainer....

What his presence does to our player development is the cost that really scares me.  

He can't be bought out mid-season.  I don't see him going anywhere this season.  I don't see the Flyers waiving him or Neuvirth agreeing to a termination of his contract.  I suppose they could give him vertigo and LTIR him.  However, if they have any thought of him being serviceable or a trade piece, it seems hard to LTIR him and keep him from practicing.  I just don't see them completely cutting ties with him.

13 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I wish they had bought him out last summer. never resigned him to a 2 year contract based solely on his history of injuries.  Nevermind giving him a ludicrous raise after being statistically worst goaltender in the league.

Howie, this is how i look at it....

Writ large, you might say this is part of the bigger critique some have of the Hexy GM-ship. Drafting may be good. Dumping deadwood...high grades. But thoughtful smaller trades...maybe not so good.  With 20/20 hindsight, I have to agree with Murray C that giving him a second contract was a mistake, but that could have been partially addressed with parting ways this summer. But I guess it's tough to admit mistakes.....

Archived