The Right Decision on Zadina

SpikeDDS

I’ve been watching, with interest, the scoresheets from the Griffins, watching for Filip Zadina’s name. There’s only one game, before the last one, where Zadina had a multiple-goal game. But he finally got another one. That’s good news.

But in many games, he has been absent from the sheet. And  with each successive game that that has been true, it became more obvious that although the Wings need a headliner, someone who can fill the seats at the Pizzarena—or even, should I say, the clubs and bars in the concourse at LCA—Zadina just wasn’t ready. That the excitement would have been short-lived. The more he has played, the more it has become obvious that he needs to play at the AHL level for a while.

But of course, the scoresheet doesn’t tell you everything. He can score two goals, but still play lousy defense and have a bad game. That doesn’t always make the scoresheet.

The fact is that the Wings leadership made the right decision leaving Zadina off the Wings roster so far. The jump from juniors to the NHL is just flat-out bigger than most can make. Only a select few can do it well. Zadina is better off in the AHL, so I want to acknowledge that Holland et al made the right decision, despite the temptation to bring him up too soon.

Maybe they have finally learned from the mistake of trying to extend “The Streak” that the long-term is far more important than the short-run is.

I will say that Holland has made several good decisions here recently. I have been critical of him in years past and rightly so. But he has made a few good choices lately, and I need to acknowledge those. 

@SpikeDDS

My initial reaction when Zadina was sent down to GR was disappointment and frustration, I was hoping he could play in Detroit all year as we weren't going anywhere anyway. Turns out Holland was right and I was wrong.

Zadina came out of the draft rated one of the top two way forwards in the draft, his defense has been positively DREADFUL. He forces passes, he gets out of position, he has been given more or less to an old grizzled AHL vetnamed Chris Terry who played parts of five seasons in the NHL, Terry plays his opposite wing and is almost a coach on the ice with him. A week ago in a game against the Texas Stars Zadina had a brutal giveaway that led to a two on none and a goal and they panned to Terry who had a looks could kill on his face for a moment. Seconds later on the bench he had his arm around Zadina and was talking to the distraught kid who was nodding along.

That is one advantage of the Wings veteran AHL team right now, lots of guys willing to help the kids through the learning curve both on defense and among the forwards. I was actually relieved when Megan was recalled instead of Zadina when we had our rash of injuries. 

Two goals last night against a not very good Monsters squad. The last couple of games Terry has been moved onto a line with AHL vets Camper and Elson, Zadina has been united with fellow kid prospects Turgeon and Givani Smith and warts and all the kid line is clicking. I am very high on Zadina and think big things are in his future, possibly by seasons end in Detroit but it was the right call to start him at the AHL level. His compete level is through the roof, he just has to fine tune things a bit. 

@yave1964 

Thanks for the update. Like I said, I've watched the scoresheets and only highlights of the games, and that just doesn't tell the whole story.

The two goals ALSO doesn't tell the whole story. It's good news, but it doesn't live in a vacuum. How one plays off the puck is just as if not MORE important than how you play WITH it. Zadina is likely going to be renowned for how he plays WITH it, but he can't ignore the other stuff. It's too important and makes anyone--even someone as good as he can be--a liability if it isn't given proper attention.

The good news is that how one plays off the puck is learnable, and experience is the best way to learn it. Ice vision is partly gift, but very much a learnable skill. The skill must be honed. And better to do that in GR and not crush confidence than embarrass yourself at the NHL level.

I'm with you. The temptation is to rush it. Credit Holland et al for pulling the reins, even when our NHL talent level is deficient. I also credit Blashill for not rushing him either, though it may seem like he's gotta do just about ANYTHING to save his job. Credit him for looking out for the good of the franchise long-term.

Archived