Wild vs. Sharks 11/6/18 @ 9:30PM at SAP Center

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Sharks Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (8-3-2)  18pts  2nd in the Central

3.08 Goals For Per Game (15th in the NHL)

2.69 Goals Against Per Game (7th in the NHL)

18.6% Power Play (20th in the NHL)

85.2% Penalty Kill (4th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 6G 7A = 13pts

2. #11 Zach Parise ~ 4G 8A = 12pts

3. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 3G 9A = 12pts

4. #12 Eric Staal ~ 5G 6A = 11pts

5. #16 Jason Zucker ~ 4G 5A = 9pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #21 Eric Fehr ~ 14 PIM’s

2. #29 Greg Pateryn ~ 12 PIM’s

3. #12 Eric Staal ~ 10 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (6-2-2)  2.07GAA  .937%SP

2. #32 Alex Stalock (2-1-0)  3.30GAA  .895%SP

Vs.

San Jose Sharks (7-4-3)  17pts  4th in the Pacific

3.29 Goals For Per Game (10th in the NHL)

2.93 Goals Against Per Game (15th in the NHL)

21.3% Power Play (14th in the NHL)

87.8% Penalty Kill (3rd in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #28 Timo Meier ~ 11G 5A = 16pts

2. #39 Logan Couture ~ 6G 10A = 16pts

3. #88 Brent Burns ~ 3G 13A = 16pts

4. #48 Tomas Hertl ~ 5G 9A = 14pts

5. #9 Evander Kane ~ 4G 6A = 10pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #9 Evander Kane ~ 25 PIM’s

2. #88 Brent Burns ~ 14 PIM’s

3. #65 Erik Karlsson ~ 10 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #31 Martin Jones (6-3-1)  2.69GAA  .900%SP

2. #30 Aaron Dell (1-1-2)  2.71GAA  .913%SP

Here is MNSOTA's game preview.  I will be on the post-gamer tonight.  This week is pretty busy with 4 games in about 6 days.  The Sharks took steps to add more speed to their bottom 6 and I think that has made them a more well-rounded team.  Timo Meier is off to a terrific start from a goal scoring perspective.  We have just a 1-point lead on Dallas in the Central Division standings.  Enjoy and discuss!  Who's staying up late to watch it?  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting... All the Wild hating refs maybe don't like traveling to the west coast? lol

Minnesota Wild at San Jose Sharks – 10:30 EST

REFEREES

Francis Charron #6 Brian Pochmara #16
  FC06.jpg BP16.jpg
Games 18-19 13 11
Career Games 419 777
First NHL Game 4/5/10 12/23/05
Birthplace Ottawa, ON Detroit, MI
Goals/Gm 6.0 (14) 6.2 (7)
PP/Gm 3.6 (1) 3.0 (25)
Penl/Gm 4.2 (3) 3.8 (18)
PIM/Gm 9.4 (6) 9.3 (8)
% of Penl on Home 49.0% (4) 49.0% (4)
More Penl on Rd % 6.0% (27) 4.0% (33)
Home Win % 60.0% (8) 51.0% (29)
Home Rec. 44-29 37-36
OT/SO Games 21.0% (26) 22.0% (24)
Calls by Period 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd
2017-18 29% 39% 32% 26% 39% 35%
Team Records 17-18 16-17 15-16 17-18 16-17 15-16
MIN 1-4 1-1 2-3 1-4 4-0 3-3
SJS 3-3 1-1 4-2 3-2 3-2 4-0

LINESMEN

Jonny Murray #95 Scott Driscoll #68
  JM95.jpg SD68.jpg
Games 18-19 13 13
Career Games 1151 1719
First NHL Game 10/7/00 10/10/92
Birthplace Beauport, QC Seaforth, ON

I am actually a pseudo-Sharks fan (don't ask me why, they just have always seemed like a likeable bunch....going back to when they had a bunch of journeymen players upsetting Cup favorites like Detroit!)...and even today's Sharks teams, while I don't follow them as closely as my Wild or Lightning, I do keep an eye on and like to see them succeed...

BUT....not at the expense of the Minnesota Wild!

So yea, another measuring stick game for the Wild....the Sharkies, when all is said n done, should win the Pacific, and I'd like to see how Minnesota plays  against what should be a tough Conference opponent.

Erik Karlsson has been somewhat sleepy as a Shark so far, and here is to hoping Minnesota KEEPS him that way!
Brent Burns is Brent Burns (I'd like to say Burns vs Coyle in a battle of guys traded for each other, but ehhh, I think we understand the Sharks got the better of things there....sorry Charlie, I love ya, but it's true!)...
And lookout Wild fans, for that Timo Meier..... he has come STORMING out of the gate.

Be concerned all you want about Karlsson, Burns, Pavelski, Couture, Kane, and Jones....but do NOT sleep on Timo Meier.

The young man could be the death of Minnesota in this game if he is allowed to run loose!

That said, if the Wild can attack the net like they have shown they can ACTUALLY do, then San Jose is far from airtight defensively, and Jones, while a good goalie, obviously, IS subject to coughing up a few goals....sometimes within short spans of each other while he mentally resets himself after a previous goal.

Wild just can't let up on these guys, play to WIN, not playing to 'not lose'...if you get my meaning on that...and they should be fine!

Yep.
I am a pseudo-Sharks fan.
But go Wild GO!!
:wild:

Burns trade still gives me indigestion.  A known future All-Star plus a second rounder, for two first round picks and a goal scorer expected to remain one.  Sounded equal upfront, but Phillips was a wash-out (couldn't skate), Coyle just cannot maximize his abilities, and what do I say about Setoguchi - toasted before we got him.  Just has not turned out at all for the Wild.  Burns is the best player we had since Gaborik.  I would have made this trade with Koivu for Burns ALL DAY LONG (though I am sure this was never an option)

13 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

Burns trade still gives me indigestion.  A known future All-Star plus a second rounder, for two first round picks and a goal scorer expected to remain one.  Sounded equal upfront, but Phillips was a wash-out (couldn't skate), Coyle just cannot maximize his abilities, and what do I say about Setoguchi - toasted before we got him.  Just has not turned out at all for the Wild.  Burns is the best player we had since Gaborik.  I would have made this trade with Koivu for Burns ALL DAY LONG (though I am sure this was never an option)

As far as skating issues, Philly GM Hextall stated that skating was the one skill that could be improved. That bad skating could be fixed. I think that’s a load of bollocks. If that was true, I think the Wild would have fixed Phillips skating. Because that was the big knock on Phillips, that he couldn’t skate. 

I agree with you.  When you work with younger kids, you can lengthen strides, work on edge control, etc.  However, skating is a skill that I don't believe can be improved greatly if the same amount of time/training/technique goes into two different players.  In short, there is only so much you can do - all other things being equal - better skaters just have an innate ability to grasp the nuances whereas poor skaters just struggle to retain their shortcomings as the two advance levels.  I think the Wild tried, and if he could have been fixed, someone would have snatched him up and fixed it.  FWIW, wasn't Hextall a goalie?!?  He should stick to goal tending observations.😜

@IllaZilla @EmptyShelf But not too long ago people questioned Granlund's skating ability. He was not that good on his skates and actually pretty slow. It was pounded on by many on the message board that 'fixing' those areas was never going to happen. Yet in one year he came back faster and learned to move around a lot better. His skating style changed significantly! I for one never would have believed one skater could change so dramatically over one summer.

Then you have players like Dino Ciccarelli. His feet were moving 100 mph but he always looked like he was about to fall over. lol

Also, like TFG, I have a soft spot for the Sharks.   I dig the opening deal they do with the sharks under the ice and Pavelski is from about 10 mi from where I grew up.

Plus you have to just dig Burnz.  I for a long time defended the trade, mainly based on the fact he wouldn't have stayed and I thought Chaaahliee would be great.

Still waiting on Chaaaahhhhlie... :poke:

3 minutes ago, MNSOTA said:

I'm just glad I voted when early voting opened because otherwise I would have been in a long line after work.

I want to go to bed because I slept like crap last night.

I always vote early. In fact I was the first one at the court house this year to vote. Sounds like we had lines 200 deep here. That’s unheard of in these parts 

2 minutes ago, Megawild said:

Also, like TFG, I have a soft spot for the Sharks.   I dig the opening deal they do with the sharks under the ice and Pavelski is from about 10 mi from where I grew up.

Plus you have to just dig Burnz.  I for a long time defended the trade, mainly based on the fact he wouldn't have stayed and I thought Chaaahliee would be great.

Still waiting on Chaaaahhhhlie... :poke:

Chaaahhhhllliiieee has a lot of us fooled. See spurts and then long periods of nothing. So frustrating because he has the talent 

3 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

I always vote early. In fact I was the first one at the court house this year to vote. Sounds like we had lines 200 deep here. That’s unheard of in these parts 

I went after a doc apt. this AM.  They moved polling to one of those mega churches (so much for separation of).

Even though the whole thing is a sham, I still wondered if I would burst into flames.    

Then again, it's some new fancy 'make even more money than you think possible' religions.   It was an impressive facility with all kinds of impressive vehicles in the parking lot, they've been funded well by many fools.

Just now, Megawild said:

Well duh.  I know that MN.  

This particular place didn't get past the foyer, which was bigger than some churches I have been in during my life...

Well of course in those mega churches, they're not going to let the unwashed heathens past their foyer.

Just now, MNSOTA said:

Well of course in those mega churches, they're not going to let the unwashed heathens past their foyer.

Precisely!

They disgust me anyway, I might have gone out of the way to soil something. :devil:

3 minutes ago, Megawild said:

Well duh.  I know that MN.  

This particular place didn't get past the foyer, which was bigger than some churches I have been in during my life...

if it's in Lakeville I think I've been there, granted it was just outside as there was an event going on outside.

Archived