Flyers and Quenneville?

elmatus

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some people weren't really wanting Coach Q on the Flyers, but personally, I think this is a good thing for you fans.

I know Philly tried what some other teams have done (get in fresh blood with promoting AHL or college coaches), but with Hakstol, it just didn't work...end of story. Big, big difference between coaching college and minors and coaching at the highest ranks in the business.
Hakstol wasn't ready for that...maybe he will at some point, but he was just in over his head along with the myriad other things wrong with this team.

Coach Q comes in a seasoned veteran coach, a guy who knows how to win, knows what it takes to manage a winner, can manage egos, and understands the importance of having 4 viable lines to roll out at any given time.
He has also made the most out of average to slightly above average goaltending (Crawford, Darling) before, and you can bet he would love to shove it up Chicago's arse and help Philly into a winner to show his former employers he still has lots of left....so you guys are definitely getting a motivated guy!

But understand this:
Things will definitely get worse in Philly before they get better...in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Coach Q, the front office, even the ownership use the rest of this season as a complete audition for next season (even though they won't admit that), and the playoffs are secondary to sorting out the keeps and not-keeps.

Coach Q likes up-tempo play, hard hitting defense, and smooth transitions from defense to offense.
If a player currently on the Flyers cannot do any of those things, he will be out of there...one way or another, later on this season, in the off season, or during training camp next season. Gone. Done.

He is just not going to put up with medicore play or mediocre players....if there IS  a guy or two who isn't so hot, but works his butt off and Q seens potential, he may stick around, but otherwise, you need to be able to play his way, or it really is the highway.

Maybe Flyer fans will see some slight improvements this season with Quenneville calling the shots (ala Hitchcock in Edmonton), but make no mistake... While the Oilers do have talent that wasn't utilized properly before, the Flyers have a lot of sludge that needs to get eradicated before things will get better.

And with a winning Coach out to prove a point, I think that will happen, even though Philly may still end up missing the playoffs.

I like the hire.

This is a BIG deal. Stanley Cup winning coaches aren't hired every day There will be some "smoke and mirrors" about Coach Q coming here, until he is, especially from St. Louis camp...or don't they still want him? I get a gut feeling that tomorrow morning, he will be hired as our next coach in Philly.

8 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Strickland claims that he has been informed by Joel Quenneville himself that the current reports suggesting he has taken the job in Philadelphia are not true. 

Considering the Flyers are still 30K in the air and aren't supposed to land until 615ish I think the reports are bogus. 

http://www.philly.com/flyers/dave-hakstol-firing-flyers-coach-rumors-updates-joel-quinneville-20181216.html

The Flyers denied a report in the Courier Post that coach Dave Hakstol has been fired and will be replaced by Joel Quenneville.

Hakstol, whose team has fallen into last place in the 16-team Eastern Conference, is expected to be fired before Tuesday’s game, but a Flyers spokesman said it had “nothing new to report.”

3 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Considering the Flyers are still 30K in the air and aren't supposed to land until 615ish I think the reports are bogus. 

Yeah, but Q wants to make an entrance like James Bond, so he's going to land ON the plane at 30K in the air. Reported E4

Just now, FD19372 said:

Yeah, but Q wants to make an entrance like James Bond, so he's going to land ON the plane at 30K in the air. Reported E4

I would give Q the term and salary he would be asking....  I hope it is all true but some of the reports seem to be all over the place.... 

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He can't announce it until the Flyers are ready for that to happen.

In due time I think tomorrow morning.

IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN NOW!   I can read the reports and watch CSN right now.  LOL

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN NOW!   I can read the reports and watch CSN right now.  LOL

It's a formality is all. Patience everyone Flyer fans are suppose to be synonymous with patience right?

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

It's a formality is all. Patience everyone Flyer fans are suppose to be synonymous with patience right?

Yeah.  In the grand scheme of things, the delay makes no difference.

But personally, it risks me having an accident trying to read reports while I'm driving on my Odyssey commute.  And no chance to see it on any broadcast media.

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah.  In the grand scheme of things, the delay makes no difference.

But personally, it risks me having an accident trying to read reports while I'm driving on my Odyssey commute.  And no chance to see it on any broadcast media.

Well they are maybe respecting Q's wishes and not wanting to start till after Christmas.

Who knows.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well they are maybe respecting Q's wishes and not wanting to start till after Christmas.

Who knows.

Gives a damn about logic or what Q wants???   This is about ME!!!!

For those of you perturbed and annoyed by all the double talk, rumors and wondering who started all this...look no further.

That little orange bastard started it.....
He's been stealin Flyer thunder, headlines, and mindshare all season....
What a chit stirrer.......   :bigteeth:

164683562_coachq.jpg.d7166f2a24e35398abfbb4eddcd5c53b.jpg

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

"Where the hell is the mouse pad?  Dammit, Ron!" 

They tried to introduce Holmgren to a computer, but kept breaking the CD disc holder on the laptop. He tried to use it as a coffee cup holder.

Archived