Flyers and Quenneville?

elmatus

Interesting read about potential destinations....

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/seven-potential-landing-spots-for-former-blackhawks-coach-joel-quenneville

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
Hard as it may be to believe, the fourth-longest tenured coach in the entire NHL is Dave Hakstol. Only Jon Cooper, Paul Maurice and Peter Laviolette have been with their respective clubs longer. And while Philadelphia has actually fared well under Hakstol in the regular season — he has a 129-93-39 record — and earned two post-season berths in three seasons, the Flyers have failed to make it out of the first round in either instance and haven’t been much more than a middling club through the early part of the current campaign.

There is some untapped potential in Philadelphia, too, that Quenneville could potentially help unlock. Offensively, the pieces are in place for the team to be successful and the Flyers have some blueliners on the way. Add goaltender Carter Hart to the mix, who Philadelphia desperately hopes can solve their long-standing issues in the crease, and the Flyers job could be an enticing one for Quenneville if it opens up.

The kicker here, however, is that there are few teams that can compete financially with Philadelphia, who could throw serious cash at Quenneville to persuade him to come aboard if Hakstol ends up on the outs. If he wants to match Babcock dollar for dollars, Quenneville could do so in Philly.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why should Knoblauch keep his job.

All that talent to work with and he has done nothing to improve the powerplay since he replaced Mullen. Nothing.

And Dillabaugh?

What has he done to improve the goaltending situation since taking over?

I have seen zero improvements from either?

But I will wait for your answer.

I think both guys deserve a chance and I'll certainly explain.

I'll start with Dillabaugh. He was the goaltending coach when the Flyers started with Mason and Neuvirth. He did a fine job with those guys. The second year of Mason and Neuvirth, Neuvirth's injuries really came into light and Mason was overworked to the point that Anthony Stolarz started some games towards the end of the season and looked incredibly promising. Add to it, Stolarz and Lyon both looked good in Lehigh Valley that year and while the numbers weren't sparkling, we also can't forget that at the time in Lehigh (and still continuing), they play firewagon hockey. There's no sort of system used there. As for right now, other than Hart and Lyon, Dillabaugh has been asked to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. And by that, he's been asked to try to solidify the goaltending with a constantly injured Neuvirth, a slow to recover Elliott, a waiver wire acquisition in Pickard, yet the best of the bunch, Lyon, remains in Lehigh Valley. Literally, Dillabaugh has been given nothing but crap to work with this year and I think he's done a decent job trying to keep the goaltending afloat. Don't forget that the Flyers have a lousy PK that exposes the goaltending and Gord Murphy coaches the defense. Enough said right there.

As for Knoblauch, once again, I look at the coaching situation behind the bench and that Hakstol basically dictates what personnel are going to be used on the PP. If he were allowed to choose the players he wants to run PP1 and PP2, I think it makes a significant difference. And personnel usage will always be a problem in Philadelphia as long as Dork Handspunk is the head coach.

I could see a guy like Quenneville allowing Knoblauch to use the players he wants to make the PP units a success. 

That's part of the reason I'm willing to give Knoblauch and Dillabaugh passes. They're forced to use guys that the coach wants, not who they want. They're different than Laperriere and Murphy in that Laperriere has a track record before Hakstol that he sucked balls as the PK coach and in Murphy's 15 year coaching career, only twice has he had defenses that finished with top 10 numbers under his watch. 

25 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'll start with Dillabaugh. He was the goaltending coach when the Flyers started with Mason and Neuvirth. He did a fine job with those guys. The second year of Mason and Neuvirth, Neuvirth's injuries really came into light and Mason was overworked to the point that Anthony Stolarz started some games towards the end of the season and looked incredibly promising. Add to it, Stolarz and Lyon both looked good in Lehigh Valley that year and while the numbers weren't sparkling, we also can't forget that at the time in Lehigh (and still continuing), they play firewagon hockey. There's no sort of system used there. As for right now, other than Hart and Lyon, Dillabaugh has been asked to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. And by that, he's been asked to try to solidify the goaltending with a constantly injured Neuvirth, a slow to recover Elliott, a waiver wire acquisition in Pickard, yet the best of the bunch, Lyon, remains in Lehigh Valley. Literally, Dillabaugh has been given nothing but crap to work with this year and I think he's done a decent job trying to keep the goaltending afloat. Don't forget that the Flyers have a lousy PK that exposes the goaltending and Gord Murphy coaches the defense. Enough said right there.

Ok hard to dispute it.

As you said with the sh itty goalies he gets to work with on a seemingly yearly basis....any goalie another team or no one wants.

Come to Philly mentality the front office has.

One day they will get goalie who can make the routine saves the ones they have now sure can't.

30 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As for Knoblauch, once again, I look at the coaching situation behind the bench and that Hakstol basically dictates what personnel are going to be used on the PP. If he were allowed to choose the players he wants to run PP1 and PP2, I think it makes a significant difference. And personnel usage will always be a problem in Philadelphia as long as Dork Handspunk is the head coach.

Well Knobby has to be the one setting the style of play that we are seeing and he just isn't getting results and then not adjusting during the game. Not sure how much is on the coach or how much in on Knobby.

But I would be ok with a new coach cleaning house.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

So the question is whether or not having someone like Quenneville available is worth firing your own coach when he's just ok. Not terrible but not great by any stretch. 

This is a golden opportunity. 

20 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'll start with Dillabaugh. He was the goaltending coach when the Flyers started with Mason and Neuvirth. He did a fine job with those guys.

Mason put up 2.25/.928 the year before Dillabaugh got here. He then posted 2.51/.918 and 2.66/.908.

Neuvirth put up 2.27/.924 in his first year under Dillabaugh. Then followed that with 2.82/.881.

Flyers goals against/game under Dillabaugh

2015-16 2.56

2016-17 2.82

2017-18 2.88

Current 3.75

I'm not at all sure that is representative of a "fine job."

YMMV

22 minutes ago, radoran said:

Mason put up 2.25/.928 the year before Dillabaugh got here. He then posted 2.51/.918 and 2.66/.908.

Neuvirth put up 2.27/.924 in his first year under Dillabaugh. Then followed that with 2.82/.881.

2015-16 2.56

2016-17 2.82

2017-18 2.88

Current 3.75

YMMV

Great job with the research.

Myself if they do it they need to clean sweep the coaches. Bottom line.

If it is coach Q then by all means let him get his guys he wants behind the bench with him.

But it might be time soon...

Image result for purge gifs

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Knobby has to be the one setting the style of play that we are seeing and he just isn't getting results and then not adjusting during the game. Not sure how much is on the coach or how much in on Knobby.

But I would be ok with a new coach cleaning house.

I'd have no problems with a house cleaning if a new coach decides that's what's best. I'm wondering though if Hextall is a bit of a control freak in that he wants to call the shots with regards to assistants, etc.....

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Fun fact: As of this posting, this poll on BSH is 1781 to 91 in favour of canning Haks and bringing in the Big Q.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/11/7/18072468/poll-should-the-flyers-fire-hakstol-hire-quenneville-it-feels-like-an-obvious-yes-but-what-do-i-know

Yes, and it should be that way. He's a 3 time champion as Head Coach. The question really is, let's face it, does Hextall want someone who he can control a little, or does he want more of a coach who has won 3 Stanley Cups that he might feel a bit inferior to?

2 hours ago, radoran said:

2015-16 2.56

2016-17 2.82

2017-18 2.88

Current 3.75

YMMV

....and in the second year of Dillabaugh, that was also the year that the bottom fell out of the team with the ten game win streak followed by the ten game winless streak. We also can't forget about Hak running Mason into the ground, even though there was a healthy Stolarz backing him up. I have no problems with Dillabaugh. As mentioned, he's been asked to make chicken salad out of the chicken **** he's been provided for goaltenders. 

What's sad about the goaltending? The best option is current back in Lehigh Valley while the three headed monster of Elliott/Pickard/Neuvirth is expected to push the Flyers into a playoff spot. It's brutal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 7:15 PM, FD19372 said:

Yes, and it should be that way. He's a 3 time champion as Head Coach. The question really is, let's face it, does Hextall want someone who he can control a little, or does he want more of a coach who has won 3 Stanley Cups that he might feel a bit inferior to?

Ya know something in my gut tells if Hextall ever does make a move even this year.

He would can Hak and then promote Goron from the Phantoms and then just have Huffman coach the Phantoms.

And I feel he would let the coaches Lappy, Knoblach and Murphy remain for at least the remainder of the year.

I just know it.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:53 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Why should Knoblauch keep his job.

All that talent to work with and he has done nothing to improve the powerplay since he replaced Mullen. Nothing.

And Dillabaugh?

What has he done to improve the goaltending situation since taking over?

I have seen zero improvements from either?

But I will wait for your answer.

The whole approach to the power play makes zero sense.  You just can't justify it. 

No way he should keep his job. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

The whole approach to the power play makes zero sense.  You just can't justify it. 

No way he should keep his job. 

And yet I was told it was such a great hiring..... I had doubts from the beginning about Knobby.....

32 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

And yet I was told it was such a great hiring..... I had doubts from the beginning about Knobby.....

Any new coach carries doubts. I would say it was worth a shot though given his prior success. Honestly I would say the same thing about Hak as well. It was worth a shot. If he had panned out, Hexy would have been seen as a genius.

The problem is that it really really hasn't. It's also well passed the point of charity now. Hak has failed as a HC in this league. Full stop. He needs to go. Not just him of course. The whole coaching staff needs to be shown the door.

To take it one step further, this is the first season I've started doubting whether Hexy should be a GM. I've been a big fan of his decisions, and part of me still is, but it's getting harder and harder to support him at this point.

I also see no point in burning the rest of this season for the sake of continuity. The Flyers are currently 28th in the league and showing no signs of waking up. Folks joke about Hughes, but it really isn't much of a joke at this point. Gut the coaching staff, and let's move on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 1:51 PM, vis said:

So, what got Q fired?  Poor results?  One too many squabbles with Bowman?

The biggest reason I've read is Bowman wanted a change from Quennville's zone style to more of an up-tempo man to man defense.  Quenneville was resistant to change.  I'm not sure "that" style fits in Philly either as man to man is more aggressive and is the way more successful teams are playing.

The move by Bowman to relieve Quenneville of his duties is a strategy that will likely have multiple immediate impacts on the team. First and foremost, the Blackhawks went into the season believing that they could be a playoff contender, playing an up-tempo brand of hockey that would help mask some of their defensive deficiencies. Quenneville’s style has never fit that strategy, and Colliton will be asked to save the sinking ship and install new offensive strategies that will take advantage of the speed of Alex DeBrincat, Patrick Kane, and many others on the forward side of the ice.  https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/madhouse-enforcer/opinion-chicago-blackhawks-stan-bowman-desperation-joel-quenneville-499814441.html

56 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The biggest reason I've read is Bowman wanted a change from Quennville's zone style to more of an up-tempo man to man defense.  Quenneville was resistant to change.  I'm not sure "that" style fits in Philly either as man to man is more aggressive and is the way more successful teams are playing.

The move by Bowman to relieve Quenneville of his duties is a strategy that will likely have multiple immediate impacts on the team. First and foremost, the Blackhawks went into the season believing that they could be a playoff contender, playing an up-tempo brand of hockey that would help mask some of their defensive deficiencies. Quenneville’s style has never fit that strategy, and Colliton will be asked to save the sinking ship and install new offensive strategies that will take advantage of the speed of Alex DeBrincat, Patrick Kane, and many others on the forward side of the ice.  https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/madhouse-enforcer/opinion-chicago-blackhawks-stan-bowman-desperation-joel-quenneville-499814441.html

Give Sheldon Keefe a try his teams play an aggressive in your face style.

He is coming off a Calder Cup championship too.

Could have won it all in juniors I think had it not been for Mcdavid.

59 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Give Sheldon Keefe a try his teams play an aggressive in your face style.

He is coming off a Calder Cup championship too.

Could have won it all in juniors I think had it not been for Mcdavid.

Maybe Eklund has a good point in his blog today.   Trade for the aging Duncan Keith and bring in Quennville?-- other than the NMC and he is 35.... ???

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

Maybe Eklund has a good point in his blog today.   Trade for the aging Duncan Keith and bring in Quennville?-- other than the NMC and he is 35.... ???

I'd really be against getting Keith. It's the term, his age, and that he's already slow. 

I just checked to make sure we're actually talking about Keith. 

13 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Sure...get DeBrincat,too, while we're at it.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'd really be against getting Keith. It's the term, his age, and that he's already slow. 

I just checked to make sure we're actually talking about Keith. 

But this is also about leadership in a role on the ice that is lacking immensely on the Flyers helping to grasp Quennville's system.  Maybe Manning isn't the best source, but he struggled to adjust to Chicago's defense. Just Google his interviews.

31 minutes ago, hf101 said:

But this is also about leadership in a role on the ice that is lacking immensely on the Flyers helping to grasp Quennville's system.  Maybe Manning isn't the best source, but he struggled to adjust to Chicago's defense. Just Google his interviews.

I get that. 

Zero interest. 

34 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Maybe Manning just isn't really any good. Maybe.

Archived