Mitch

hobie

He reminds me of Gretzky where he seems to be going in slow motion yet the opposition can't seem to stop him or catch him. If he could learn the button hook and how to set up plays from behind the opposition's net then I'd swear he is Gretzky.

Awesome to watch.

5 hours ago, hobie said:

He reminds me of Gretzky where he seems to be going in slow motion yet the opposition can't seem to stop him or catch him. If he could learn the button hook and how to set up plays from behind the opposition's net then I'd swear he is Gretzky.

Plus if he scored 212 points instead of just 60 something.

Marner is very good. Gretzky? lol.

You need to remember that players like Bernie Nichols had 140 points in that era, I doubt that McDavid will score 140.

I was noting a comparison of style not necessarily talent. When Gretzky was playing putting up those amazing totals it was widely felt that he never seemed fast yet nobody hit him or could stop him, it seemed like there was an NHL wide agreement to not physically challenge him. Semenko might have had a lot to do with this.

Marner needs to be paired with his Kuri and he might be with Tavares.

I see where Hobie is coming from. Marner actually reminds me of my all-time favourite Leaf - Dave Keon.

I also agree with flyercanuck - Marner is no Gretzky or Keon but it sure is nice to have players who even remind us of past great players.

So, all we need now is a Darryl Sittler and we're good to go .... 😉

16 hours ago, hobie said:

You need to remember that players like Bernie Nichols had 140 points in that era, I doubt that McDavid will score 140.

I was noting a comparison of style not necessarily talent. When Gretzky was playing putting up those amazing totals it was widely felt that he never seemed fast yet nobody hit him or could stop him, it seemed like there was an NHL wide agreement to not physically challenge him. Semenko might have had a lot to do with this.

Marner needs to be paired with his Kuri and he might be with Tavares.

If you want to say Marner slows the game down that's fine.

So does Giroux. Neither one of them should be mentioned with Gretzky as a reference. 

• 3 months later...

Archived