Game 16: Flyers vs Coyotes 11/08/18 7:00 pm

OccamsRazor

I really wish they would have kept Lyon up.

It is time to try him in net.

To see where he is at.

They have a decision to make with Stolie and Lyon after this year.

One of them needs to be the backup in Philly.

Sandstrom is coming over to tandem with Hart in the AHL.

They don't have a goalie signed for next year.

So it would be nice if they could pencil one of Stolie or Lyon in for at least a backup spot so all they would have to figure out is who the starter is going to be.

And deep down inside I do not see next year's starter on the club.

So when can they start trying to figure that out?

Maybe I should have just made this a whole new topic.

Maybe I will later.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Yeah not pretty but made it worth my time and  $$$ regardless!

Hey a win is a win.

A tight race from the #1 seed in the metro to where the Flyers sit is one point in seperation.

They have collected 9 out of 10 points in the last 5 games.

Not bad I guess with all their issues.

A nice comeback win. Although someone, like your PP coach, might want to scratch his head why you're giving up two SHGs during the same penalty? Well, Voracek quilty of lazy coverage on the second... You also saw that opposing team's goalie isn't any better than your own, chin up. 😉

Good comeback win. The first shorthanded goal was on the linesman for kicking the puck away from Ghost then keeping him from being able to even get to the puck handler. Weird totally crapfest goal on that one. The second shorty was directly on Jake for a lazy, sloppy useless poke check....Laughton is quickly becoming one of my favorite Flyers. His hustle all night won this game. Pretty good for a 4th liner.

A lot of positives from last night. 

- Lindblom and Patrick continue to show real chemistry, and are dangerous every time they're out there. Nice to see Lindblom extend his points streak to 5 games.

- Voracek is an 'event' player. Something always happens when he's on the ice because he has the puck a lot. Sometimes they're good things, sometimes they're bad things - but the good FAR outweighs the bad. 

- Laughton was a beast! Tied for 2nd on the team in goals with 6. He had 10 all of last year. Of course, his current 27% SH is not sustainable, but he's found a new level to his game. Smart, tenacious player.

I don't want to talk about the PP and PK because we all know how terrible both are.

But, I will mention Provorov. When he's off, man, he is *off*. He made several terrible plays last night - and the worrying thing is that they aren't plays under pressure. They're just terrible decisions. I don't know what to make of it. Maybe, just maybe, this is the learning curve to him being able to make those in the future - the kind of plays that separate you from run of the mill defensemen. 

Work out the bugs now, and when Provorov 2.4b comes out, he will be able to pass cross ice, hyperskate over to the other side, and receive his own pass.

6 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

A nice comeback win. Although someone, like your PP coach, might want to scratch his head why you're giving up two SHGs during the same penalty? Well, Voracek quilty of lazy coverage on the second... You also saw that opposing team's goalie isn't any better than your own, chin up. 😉

Got to give the Yotes credit too.

They have scored 9 shorties in 15 games.

Pretty impressive.

22 minutes ago, brelic said:

But, I will mention Provorov. When he's off, man, he is *off*. He made several terrible plays last night - and the worrying thing is that they aren't plays under pressure. They're just terrible decisions.

Boy you are not kidding. A couple of those turnovers he made were absolutely soul wrenching. I hope that he gets whatever bug that is confusing him in those situations worked out.

Just now, flyerrod said:

Boy you are not kidding. A couple of those turnovers he made were absolutely soul wrenching. I hope that he gets whatever bug that is confusing him in those situations worked out.

Even JJ was caught off guard. It's like witnessing a glitch in the matrix. 

TANK, I NEED AN EXIT!

I am still trying to figure out Pickard.  He made some wonderful saves early on.  You can't fault him on the first goal--he was screened. The goal from the face-off circle--agreed with Jones (I think) that was at fault.  I don't know if either or both of the breakaways was stoppable. I am not sure how many games he has before possible waiver (I am tempted to say 4-5) but this is another part of the goalie puzzle.  

12 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Yeah he's finally clicking with his linemates...good to see, and about time.

this wouldn't be a contract year would it ?

I still don't like the guy... he is playing the way he should have been the whole time he's been with our club.

Once again I don't want to be  here bitching about a win but...

Special teams continue to be atrocious. 

I saw @BobbyClarkeFan16 talking in a different thread about how Knoblach isn't necessarily to blame for the PP and it's thought provoking, although the mix on PP1 seems good to me, Sanhiem should be on the PP somewhere that he isn't is a head-scratcher.

The penalty kill is terrible, as in will cost a playoff series terrible, I don't see anything or any "growth" to make me think oh, this will get better.

At what point does someone get held accountable for this lousy performance.  I like Laperierre in a role where he can influence young players about professionalism and work ethic, I do not like the philosophy of the PK one bit. Is that on Ian or is it how Hakstol wants to play?  This team is good 5 v 5 which is something we've all been pining away for, now the special teams can't suck enough...

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I am still trying to figure out Pickard.

He’s a journeyman AHL goaltender.  Not much more to figure out.  He will make some great, desperate saves then let in goals that a true NHL goalie would save.  He’s as bipolar as this team.  

Funny game.  Credit to the players, particularly Laughton and Weise, for staying with the game and playing hard.  Credit to Hakstol for taking a TO, changing goalies and putting Laughton and Weise out there a little more.  Provorov is scary right now.  He needs to clear his head or something.  The beginning of the second period was bad last night, but other than that, they were pretty good.  

Gotta say.  They have been finding ways to get points.  Kind of crazy.  Honestly, if before the trip someone said they won’t lose their next five games I would have laughed.

Also, they have been winning despite ****** special teams and shoddy goaltending.  How is that even possible?

Do I think this is sustainable?  Nope, unless they fix the special teams and get better goaltending (neither of which I think happens this year).  But I’ll enjoy it before the 10 game winless streak happens.

12 minutes ago, vis said:

Funny game.  Credit to the players, particularly Laughton and Weise, for staying with the game and playing hard.  Credit to Hakstol for taking a TO, changing goalies and putting Laughton and Weise out there a little more.

Absolutely. And he did the same with the top 2 lines - double shifting them to get something going. It worked. They made something happen on just about every shift.

Provorov is scary right now.  He needs to clear his head or something.  The beginning of the second period was bad last night, but other than that, they were pretty good.

I really don't understand what's going on with him. When a player makes mistakes under pressure, I can understand it more. It's a matter of adjusting to the speed of the game and learning what you can and can't get away with. Learning your support systems, exits, and best high percentage plays when under pressure.

With Provorov, a lot of his miscues happen on idle plays. He just blatantly gives the puck away, in all areas of the ice. He had at least 3 really egregious giveaways in the defensive zone last night. And then, I texted @elmatus after one offensive rush where Provorov passed almost deliberately to a Coyote player. He was looking right at him. The closest Flyer was about 8-10 feet away. It wasn't an intercepted pass - it was right on the tape. 

First thing I would do is take Provorov off the PP2 and put Sanheim there. Ivan has not looked comfortable at all on the PP and Sanheim does. That will probably cut Provorov's minutes by 2-3 per game. Start there and see what happens.

Gotta say.  They have been finding ways to get points.  Kind of crazy.  Honestly, if before the trip someone said they won’t lose their next five games I would have laughed.

Also, they have been winning despite ****** special teams and shoddy goaltending.  How is that even possible?

Do I think this is sustainable?  Nope, unless they fix the special teams and get better goaltending (neither of which I think happens this year).  But I’ll enjoy it before the 10 game winless streak happens.

It's completely crazy!

Our PK is 30th (68.7%) ahead of the Ottawa Ubers. At home we are DEAD LAST at 61.0%, and 27th (72.2%) on the road. 

The Flyers have allowed the most PPGA in the league - 18. 

PP isn't much better. 14.5% (26th) overall, 12% at home (26th), and 16.7% on the road (22nd). 

The Flyers have scored 8 PPG. 

So we have a special teams differential of -10. If you add SHGF (0) and SHGA (4) into the mix, we are -14.

At 5v5, Flyers have scored 37 goals (2nd most) but have given up 35 (5th most) for a +2 differential. 

Can't easily calculate our 5v5 differential ranking on the NHL.com site. Anyone? 

In any case, special teams are killing us as is defense in general (60 GA, 3rd worst).

Yet they are 8-7-1. Then again, there are only SIX teams in the NHL with more losses than wins. That's just whacked. 

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I am not sure how many games he has before possible waiver (I am tempted to say 4-5) but this is another part of the goalie puzzle. 

It's 30 days or 10 games played.

6 hours ago, brelic said:

First thing I would do is take Provorov off the PP2 and put Sanheim ther

I think this would be a good thing and hopefully the kid doesn't get his feelings hurt but this is two fold.

Too help cut down on his heavy minutes he has logged and to give Sanheim and chance to maybe jump start some offense in his game along with giving the PP a boost skill wise i think Travis offense is a tad higher than Ivan's.

But keeping Ivan fresh will go along way towards the end of the season results maybe.

Ivan is playing 26 minutes a night. Cutting his PP time down will get him down to closer to where Ghost is averaging a little over 21 minutes a night and boost Travis from his 16 minutes a night.

If it doesn't work then you could go back to Ivan.

Got to love the way Folin has come around and has played pretty well with Ghost.

Only one assist this season but leads the blueline at +7. He has come a long ways from his rough start.

I have to say i love seeing him gets minutes over turnover prone Mcdud.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Absolutely. And he did the same with the top 2 lines - double shifting them to get something going. It worked. They made something happen on just about every shift.

I just hope they have enough gas toward the end of the season.  They should hopefully get deeper once JVR returns.   But I do worry a little that the top two lines are going to get gassed.  

With Provorov, a lot of his miscues happen on idle plays.

Yep and that’s what’s crazy.  He looks like he’s stoned out there.  Just brain dead plays.  It’s so out of character for him, so I don’t worry too much.  There’s no way it’s because of his d partner.  

I would have no problem with Sanheim on the PP.  His skills are perfect there.  

Our PK is 30th (68.7%) ahead of the Ottawa Ubers. At home we are DEAD LAST at 61.0%, and 27th (72.2%) on the road. 

The Flyers have allowed the most PPGA in the league - 18. 

PP isn't much better. 14.5% (26th) overall, 12% at home (26th), and 16.7% on the road (22nd). 

The Flyers have scored 8 PPG. 

So we have a special teams differential of -10. If you add SHGF (0) and SHGA (4) into the mix, we are -14.

At 5v5, Flyers have scored 37 goals (2nd most) but have given up 35 (5th most) for a +2 differential. 

Can't easily calculate our 5v5 differential ranking on the NHL.com site. Anyone? 

In any case, special teams are killing us as is defense in general (60 GA, 3rd worst).

Yet they are 8-7-1. Then again, there are only SIX teams in the NHL with more losses than wins. That's just whacked. 

That’s stats are just ugly.  Plain old ugly.  Curious what they are over the last 5 games.  I don’t think special teams stats are much better.  They should just decline the PP from now on and offset the man advantage against penalties. Just play at 5v5.  Can we make that a thing?

30 minutes ago, vis said:

I just hope they have enough gas toward the end of the season.  They should hopefully get deeper once JVR returns.   But I do worry a little that the top two lines are going to get gassed.  

Yep and that’s what’s crazy.  He looks like he’s stoned out there.  Just brain dead plays.  It’s so out of character for him, so I don’t worry too much.  There’s no way it’s because of his d partner.  

I would have no problem with Sanheim on the PP.  His skills are perfect there.  

That’s stats are just ugly.  Plain old ugly.  Curious what they are over the last 5 games.  I don’t think special teams stats are much better.  They should just decline the PP from now on and offset the man advantage against penalties. Just play at 5v5.  Can we make that a thing?

And some of those stats on the PPis why I am down with showing really the whole coach i'l nf staff the door at the end of the season.

If Hak hasn't over risen and taken a hold of the special teams by now then he doesn't deserve to be the coach.

Knoblauch and Lappy are the coaches but they obviously suck so it is on the coach still to find a fix.

And I have seen none.

So at season's end buh bye all of them.

Or do it sooner I don't care.

Provorov is having a sophomore slump. Teams are game planning for him, and he has to adjust. It happens to almost every player, besides which as good as his partner can be, we aren;t necessarily talking about the second coming of Bobby Orr with him, either (at least not for right now). Maybe trading for a seasoned veteran not named Andrew MacDonald is the answer. Yeah, he might need to sit for a game or two BUT how much do you really learn by sitting and not playing? Not quite as much.

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Provorov is having a sophomore slump. Teams are game planning for him, and he has to adjust. It happens to almost every player, besides which as good as his partner can be, we aren;t necessarily talking about the second coming of Bobby Orr with him, either (at least not for right now). Maybe trading for a seasoned veteran not named Andrew MacDonald is the answer. Yeah, he might need to sit for a game or two BUT how much do you really learn by sitting and not playing? Not quite as much.

It's his 3rd year so it would have to be a junior slump...

😁

Archived