(poll) Should Malkin be suspended for hit to Oshie?

yave1964

Should Malkin be suspended for hit to head of Oshie in last nights game?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Malkin be suspended for hit to head of Oshie in last nights game?

• Yes, absolutely, cheap play
    • no
    • They dont suspend Penguins unless someone loses a limb

For those who didn't see it last night while carrying the puck into the offensive zone out of the corner of his eye Malkin saw TJ Oshie coming at him and lifted a shoulder which clipped Oshie on the chin, sending him flying. Oshie left the game briefly to enter concussion protocol but returned to score the game winner in the third, Malkin was ejected and will face potential supplemental discipline.

I was amazed to read that Malkin has never been suspended in his career as he has a long history of cheap shots. I put a poll above for folks to weigh in on this hit. I will put my opinion in the comments as well.

My opinion:

IMHO Oshie is barreling down in Malkin who is the puck carrier Malkin lifts his shoulder in defense not offense. No penalty. No suspension. No nothing. And keep in mind there have been many times where I felt Malkin crossed the invisible line and deserved supplemental discipline, at least three or four times dating back to the 2009 SCF I felt he should have gotten something and didn't. This time, a bang bang hockey play, a defensive move as he saw a player coming out of the corner of his eye he lifted his shoulder. I mean, what the Hell is he supposed to do? Leave his own head exposed? 

Clean play should not have been anything. Feel free to berate in 3...2....1

They kicked Malkenstien out of the game, yes?

that's plenty for me. 

He's a douche with a long history of opportunistic cheap shots (especially getting his elbows up in the corners) and little respect for his fellow player, however in this instance, justice has been served.

Here's another thing, you know if 71 wants to play that way, he should be prepared to answer for it.  I don't recall him ever dropping his mitts, oh he'll punch a guy in the face with his gloves on though. As much as I don't like anything Boston, at least Marchand will fight a guy. 

For that infraction, the game misconduct and his subsequent tossing are fair. That said, I could show you an untold amount of cheap shots he has thrown and not even got a penalty for. I live for the day when that window licking mouth breather has to actually man up and answer for his cheap shots.....Even though I voted Penguins don't get suspended unless someone loses a limb I would have voted no on suspension worthy this time if you could have chose more than 1 option.

First off, I am NOT a Penguins fan in any way shape or form.
I usually root against them, and often, just like the Bruins, love to see them fall on their faces while I revel in it.

Second, I don't like goonery, or at least, guys trying to take away the ability of another player to make a living on the ice.
And yes, I am aware that Malkin has, in the past, done some questionable things...but I am also aware that  he is a big target on the ice of many other players simply because of who he is and the team he plays for.

Now.....I was watching this game live, and I rewound the play over and over...and did the same here again with @yave1964 's posted clip.
Personally, I don't see a "dirty" hit here.

Did Oshie get hit in the head area? Yep.
Did Malkin see him coming? Absolutely.
Did Malkin decide he was going to end Oshie's career with one fell swoop? I have a hard time believing that.
Was Malkin simply reacting to a player, who, like many others, likely would hit HIM and hit him hard to try and take away the puck?
Yes, I believe so.

Malkin is a big man, so unfortunately for him, whenever he does put a hit on someone (forgetting just for a moment any other 'cheap' shots fans may perceive he has done in the past), it is going to hurt them, and hurt them bad.

It WAS unfortunate that Oshie got hit where he did....but that is the peril of rushing a guy bigger than you are, while you lower yourself to try and capture the puck.
Sure, Malkin COULD have decided that he was going to swat Oshie in the head, but frankly, I think the play was happening way too fast, and Malkin, trying to protect the puck as he entered the zone, simply saw an incoming missile of a player and decided he was going to shield the puck and himself from the potential collision...……….. the result, technically was against NHL policy about head shots, however, I believe the intent, though only Malkin-Stein knows for sure, was more hockey related and self preservation related.

The more I look at the play, the more it looks to me, also, that Oshie was the one doing the hitting, whereas Malkin put up his arm (yes, and it has an elbow attached to it.....I checked mine, and I have an elbow attached to mine as well...oh, and the elbow sticks out just a bit when I raise my arm to shield my body... :biggrin: ), in his own defense.

Bang, bang play, literally, with the result, IMO, not necessarily matching the intent.

I will not pretend to know what would have been the best call here, if any should have been made, but I think that if Oshie runs into Malkin (which I believe to be the case), falls on his arse because he ate that same elbow to the chest, and elbow raised, along with his arm to defend himself, Malkin did, then no one is getting the gate, there is no uproar, and there is no talk of supplementary discipline.

I don't like the Penguins.
Don't particularly care for Malkin himself ( I see more of a whiner sometimes on the ice more than anything), and I know he has a propensity to fly off the handle sometimes, but if you wanted to give him a penalty for elbowing, fine, because his elbow did clip Oshie in the puss..... but a match penalty? Supplementary discipline? Dirty hit?  I just don't think all that is accurate.

There are plenty of instances where Malkin should have been suspended, but wasn't. This isn't one of them IMO. It's dirty...but wtf is Oshie doing there? It looks like he skating into Malkins elbow/shoulder daring him to use it. And he did...but kind of, as was mentioned, in a defensive manner.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

As usual ma'am you nailed it on the head. Jerk of a player, lots of questionable crap over the years that he has gotten away with, this isn't one of them. With a tight game in the third period with the Penguins looking fragile right now the zebras IMHO likely cost them two points. Hard to feel bad for the Penguins but they got hosed on this one.

12 hours ago, yave1964 said:

My opinion:

IMHO Oshie is barreling down in Malkin who is the puck carrier Malkin lifts his shoulder in defense not offense. No penalty. No suspension. No nothing. And keep in mind there have been many times where I felt Malkin crossed the invisible line and deserved supplemental discipline, at least three or four times dating back to the 2009 SCF I felt he should have gotten something and didn't. This time, a bang bang hockey play, a defensive move as he saw a player coming out of the corner of his eye he lifted his shoulder. I mean, what the Hell is he supposed to do? Leave his own head exposed? 

Clean play should not have been anything. Feel free to berate in 3...2....1

Malkin is guilty of bracing for a hit and being a tall big guy.

Oshie was barreling in at Malkin and Malkin was not even aware of him except to brace for the impact. It is not like Malkin was chasing Oshie and headhunting. Oshie basically was heading at Malkin with a full head of steam and Malkin just.......did nothing basically. no nothing

I stayed away from responding until now since my Pens back ground would obviously bias me.   I've had time to think, and ponder,(and I'm now two Manhatten's into the evening) so I'm ready to give my opinion.

First, I really don't think there was anything sinister in Malkin's hit on Oshie.   I think that Malkin sees Oshie coming in and assumes that he's going to hit him, and decides on the reverse hit to counter. Oshie I believe was going away from the hit, and decided to go after the puck, and Malkin caught him off balance. 

That said, I HATE this trend of the reverse hit. Yes there is nothing illegal about a reverse hit, but in cases like this, players are hit high and sometimes unsuspecting as they may be going away from the hit. You just have to look at the finals last year where Oshie himself used a reverse hit to clock a Vegas player(can't remember whom it was) to take him out of a play that the Caps eventually scored on. 

Reverse hits where a player raises his body up and backwards are a dangerous play that in my opinion show a lack of respect for your fellow players. There are certain players who use this technique a lot, even bouncing themselves off the boards, but the last thing I want to see is top players injured and taken out of the game for any period of time. I want to see the best players playing against the best players. Again, their legal, but I don't like them. 

If you watch closely Oshie was actually trying to cut behind behind Malkin to pressure Crosby,  who Malkin had just passed to.

An absolute cheap shot.

Plus Malkin should've gotten an Interference call--or roughing.

Do they call roughing any more?

34 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I stayed away from responding until now since my Pens back ground would obviously bias me.   I've had time to think, and ponder,(and I'm now two Manhatten's into the evening) so I'm ready to give my opinion.

First, I really don't think there was anything sinister in Malkin's hit on Oshie.   I think that Malkin sees Oshie coming in and assumes that he's going to hit him, and decides on the reverse hit to counter. Oshie I believe was going away from the hit, and decided to go after the puck, and Malkin caught him off balance. 

That said, I HATE this trend of the reverse hit. Yes there is nothing illegal about a reverse hit, but in cases like this, players are hit high and sometimes unsuspecting as they may be going away from the hit. You just have to look at the finals last year where Oshie himself used a reverse hit to clock a Vegas player(can't remember whom it was) to take him out of a play that the Caps eventually scored on. 

Reverse hits where a player raises his body up and backwards are a dangerous play that in my opinion show a lack of respect for your fellow players. There are certain players who use this technique a lot, even bouncing themselves off the boards, but the last thing I want to see is top players injured and taken out of the game for any period of time. I want to see the best players playing against the best players. Again, their legal, but I don't like them. 

So you're saying if player A skates near Malkin(or any other player) when he's just passed the puck, or Malkin makes an incorrect assumption about player A's motives, that gives Malkin the right to knock player A on their A**?

4 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

So you're saying if player A skates near Malkin(or any other player) when he's just passed the puck, or Malkin makes an incorrect assumption about player A's motives, that gives Malkin the right to knock player A on their A**?

I'm sorry, where did I say that?

Yes, I believe that Oshie went away from the hit after Malkin passed the puck. But how is Malkin supposed to know that in the, what, fraction of a second that happened, that Oshie went from hit to puck? He protected himself from what he thought was going to be a hit, he was not premeditatively going to hit Oshie. 

16 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Second paragraph. You said you thought Oshie wasn't going to hit Malkin, he was going after the puck.

40 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

If you watch closely Oshie was actually trying to cut behind behind Malkin to pressure Crosby,  who Malkin had just passed to.

An absolute cheap shot.

Plus Malkin should've gotten an Interference call--or roughing.

Do they call roughing any more?

Sure do...just ask Milan Lucic who's wallet is 10K lighter... :bigteeth:

9 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Yes, I believe that Oshie went away from the hit after Malkin passed the puck. But how is Malkin supposed to know that in the, what, fraction of a second that happened, that Oshie went from hit to puck? He protected himself from what he thought was going to be a hit, he was not premeditatively going to hit Oshie. 

Same comment as before--Because Malkin made the wrong assumption(we both agree) about another players motives, how does that give him the right to knock the guy on his A**?? He did have enough time to turn and actually initiate the contact with Oshie.

3 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Same comment as before--Because Malkin made the wrong assumption(we both agree) about another players motives, how does that give him the right to knock the guy on his A**?? He did have enough time to turn and actually initiate the contact with Oshie.

The problem is they gave him a MATCH penalty. You want to give him an interference penalty? MEH, whatever. But to give him a match penalty for intent to injure? That's beyond the play.  And I guess you agree because you seem to see it as a bad play by Malkin assuming he's going to be hit and not an attempt to injure. 

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

As usual ma'am you nailed it on the head. Jerk of a player, lots of questionable crap over the years that he has gotten away with, this isn't one of them. With a tight game in the third period with the Penguins looking fragile right now the zebras IMHO likely cost them two points. Hard to feel bad for the Penguins but they got hosed on this one.

Believe me, it made me a bit sick to defend Malkin-Stein, but I the way I saw it, Evgeni couldn't really do much else.

Should he have moved away from Oshie in such a way that he then loses the puck?
Should he have just assumed Oshie was there to say, "Hey, big guy watcha doin after the game?" and that TJ wasn't going to hit him?
Or maybe he should have just done nothing, pray Oshie has mercy if he IS gonna hit him?

LOL...none of the above!

TJ Oshie reminds me of Matthew Perrault of the Jets.

A player who seems prone to other players knocking the crap out of them.
You have to ask yourself...why is that?

Not like players like Oshie and Perrault are Crosby, Ovechkin level where they have big bullseyes painted on their back.
No, players like them, it seems often put themselves in positions where they WILL get knocked on their arses….or heads, or whatever else.

Kris Letang was like that some years ago...
Always turning his back on an incoming check, then gets boarded, or lowering his head way down low to try and get a puck then ends up eating something to the mush....
I think he got smarter about those sorts of things.

And now with the news there  WON'T be supplemental discipline, it is safe to say the league didn't see it anymore than just lighting fast play with a bad result....but no murderous intent.

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Malkin is guilty of bracing for a hit and being a tall big guy.

Oshie was barreling in at Malkin and Malkin was not even aware of him except to brace for the impact. It is not like Malkin was chasing Oshie and headhunting. Oshie basically was heading at Malkin with a full head of steam and Malkin just.......did nothing basically. no nothing

Watch the play again. Oshie was actually trying to skate behind Malkin to pressure Crosby who had just received the pass from Malkin.  Malkin made the wrong assumption about Oshies motives--that doesn't give him the right to knock Oshie's head off.

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Believe me, it made me a bit sick to defend Malkin-Stein, but I the way I saw it, Evgeni couldn't really do much else.

Ahhhhh, TFG, we're going to sign you up as a member of the Yinzer club.   Come on, Pierogi's, Kielbassi?  What more can you say?

10 minutes ago, nossagog said:

The problem is they gave him a MATCH penalty. You want to give him an interference penalty? MEH, whatever. But to give him a match penalty for intent to injure? That's beyond the play.  And I guess you agree because you seem to see it as a bad play by Malkin assuming he's going to be hit and not an attempt to injure. 

I didn't know he got a match penalty--the refs made the right call.  It was a cheap shot. The refs did the right thing by giving Malkin the boot.

I shouldn't have given Malkin the benefit of the doubt by saying he made a bad assumption. I was just being judicial. Doesn't change my opinion it was a cheap shot.

I do see that I'm pretty much all alone on this one.

13 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

I didn't see that. Who'd he take out?

It's material for a different thread entirely, but Milan Lucic actually went head hunting after Tampa Bay's Mathieu Joseph, after Joseph DID rock his Edmonton teammate against the boards in a prior play.

I don't believe Joseph had ill intent (he wasn't even looking at the guy he hit when he did), but the end result was, Joseph did hit the guy (it was Kris Russell), he did go sorta head first in the boards, no call was made, Lucic was incensed, and spent the next 30 or 40 seconds chasing Joseph around the ice, hit him when HE wasn't expecting it, punched him in the head once he was down, then mounted him MMA style as players had to pry him off the 21 yr old Joseph who was prone on the ice.

You can youtube that incident....Lucic got the gate there and was fined by the league 10K...but the crazy part is, the call on the ice was just …"roughing"...hence why I quoted you when you asked what you did.  🙂

Archived