(poll) Should Malkin be suspended for hit to Oshie?

yave1964

Should Malkin be suspended for hit to head of Oshie in last nights game?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Malkin be suspended for hit to head of Oshie in last nights game?

• Yes, absolutely, cheap play
    • no
    • They dont suspend Penguins unless someone loses a limb

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

It's material for a different thread entirely, but Milan Lucic actually went head hunting after Tampa Bay's Mathieu Joseph, after Joseph DID rock his Edmonton teammate against the boards in a prior play.

I don't believe Joseph had ill intent (he wasn't even looking at the guy he hit when he did), but the end result was, Joseph did hit the guy (it was Kris Russell), he did go sorta head first in the boards, no call was made, Lucic was incensed, and spent the next 30 or 40 seconds chasing Joseph around the ice, hit him when HE wasn't expecting it, punched him in the head once he was down, then moT
You can youtube that incident....Lucic got the gate there and was fined by the league 10K...but the crazy part is, the call on the ice was just …"roughing"...hence why I quoted you when you asked what you did.  🙂

TFG, should start a whole new thread about the Lucic thing. That was just ridiculous in this day and age. This goes back to the Neanderthal age of hockey.

@nossagog

thanks for weighing in, I was waiting for your response, nobody and I mean nobody on here who reads your stuff would ever think that you are anything short of unbias and your opinion is valued. You may bleed with the Penguins every loss and revel in their victories but you are objective sir.

I really saw no penalty let alone an ejection and felt the zebras gave the game to Washington with this horrible call. I said it up front and stick to it. Malkin should have been suspended multiple times in his career but this was not one of them. Oshie was flying in, Malkin lifted his shoulder in defense and frankly I think Oshie sold it a bit. Yeah he got a cut wah wah wah, he deserved it for what IMHO was a stupid play on his part. 

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@nossagog

thanks for weighing in, I was waiting for your response, nobody and I mean nobody on here who reads your stuff would ever think that you are anything short of unbias and your opinion is valued. You may bleed with the Penguins every loss and revel in their victories but you are objective sir.

I really saw no penalty let alone an ejection and felt the zebras gave the game to Washington with this horrible call. I said it up front and stick to it. Malkin should have been suspended multiple times in his career but this was not one of them. Oshie was flying in, Malkin lifted his shoulder in defense and frankly I think Oshie sold it a bit. Yeah he got a cut wah wah wah, he deserved it for what IMHO was a stupid play on his part. 

Yave, I wouldn't go so far as this call cost the Pens the game. I think the real reason they lost the game was Holtby. Stats wise the Pens dominated this game, but Holtby played phenomenally between the pipes. 

12 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Watch the play again. Oshie was actually trying to skate behind Malkin to pressure Crosby who had just received the pass from Malkin.  Malkin made the wrong assumption about Oshies motives--that doesn't give him the right to knock Oshie's head off.

Or he just decided to take advantage of a player in a position of vulnerability and had enough time to turn and initiate contact--he wasn't defending himself at that point--he knew Oshie wasn't coming at him.

49 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Or he just decided to take advantage of a player in a position of vulnerability and had enough time to turn and initiate contact--he wasn't defending himself at that point--he knew Oshie wasn't coming at him.

...a career spent making dirty hits is coming home  ? 

At the least, I thought that play was interference, it is the kind of play 71 has made repeatedly in his career. He's a guy that will not miss an opportunity to make that hit. I don't always think his intentions are to put guys to sleep, I do think he thinks he can knock a guy off his line though, and I think that's what happened here.

I've seen 71 make a lot of bad hits and try to get away with some really dirty play. 
This one wasn't his worst, by far. I think a penalty should have been called, maybe the match penalty was a bit much, I don't think he's immune to whistles for this behavior anymore. 

He's a brilliant player, always feels like a threat to score when he's going well...the dirty stuff has made him a pretty decent villain when combined with his ability.

14 hours ago, nossagog said:

TFG, should start a whole new thread about the Lucic thing. That was just ridiculous in this day and age. This goes back to the Neanderthal age of hockey.

In Lucics defence, he has to do something to earn his ridiculous contract....he sure as heck isn't scoring! He has 1 g and 2 a more than Brian Elliot this season.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

...a career spent making dirty hits is coming home  ? 

At the least, I thought that play was interference, it is the kind of play 71 has made repeatedly in his career. He's a guy that will not miss an opportunity to make that hit. I don't always think his intentions are to put guys to sleep, I do think he thinks he can knock a guy off his line though, and I think that's what happened here.

I've seen 71 make a lot of bad hits and try to get away with some really dirty play. 
This one wasn't his worst, by far. I think a penalty should have been called, maybe the match penalty was a bit much, I don't think he's immune to whistles for this behavior anymore. 

He's a brilliant player, always feels like a threat to score when he's going well...the dirty stuff has made him a pretty decent villain when combined with his ability.

I believe the Match penalty was appropriate---I would like to see a fine/suspension as well.

IMO the NHL needs to make a more concerted effort(at least the NFL looks to be making one) to eliminate deliberate hits to the head like this one. I've seen a couple of careers derailed because of these type hits. If that is the NHL's intention, they are doing a poor job of it.

19 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

There are plenty of instances where Malkin should have been suspended, but wasn't. This isn't one of them IMO. It's dirty...but wtf is Oshie doing there? It looks like he skating into Malkins elbow/shoulder daring him to use it. And he did...but kind of, as was mentioned, in a defensive manner.

Deliberate hit. The amazing part is that he actually tried to sell it as defensive hit--but I ain't buying. Malkin's a great player, but he's also a cheapshot.

2 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Deliberate hit. The amazing part is that he actually tried to sell it as defensive hit--but I ain't buying. Malkin's a great player, but he's also a cheapshot.

I'm not disputing it was deliberate. It's just Oshies actions...he's coming AT Malkin and Malkin did as Malkin does...again, it was dirty. I just don't see it as being suspendable. Definitely a penalty.

46 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not disputing it was deliberate. It's just Oshies actions...he's coming AT Malkin and Malkin did as Malkin does...again, it was dirty. I just don't see it as being suspendable. Definitely a penalty.

This type of deliberate head shot can cause a concussion severe enough to derail a players career. The NHL needs to do its level best to eliminate these types of hits. The NFL, as dysfunctional as it is, IMO is honestly attempting to eliminate these "head shots" from happening. I don't see the same commitment from the NHL.

I'm a Twins baseball fan and have witnessed what concussions can do to a player while watching Corey Koskie and Justin Morneau, who both happen to be Canadians. They both were forced to retire early because of severe concussions. Both players thought that their concussion history likely went back to their childhood, where as a hockey players they surmised after thinking about it that that was when they had suffered some type of head trauma, mostly from blows to the head. Concussions weren't looked at that seriously then like they are now. It was looked at as a knock on the head--you'll get over it so to speak.

Apparently concussions get easier to get with each one you have, so Morneau had become so sensitive to them that the last one he received as a player was while simply sliding into second base.

One other thing, Malkin knew Oshie wasn't coming at him.

20 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Watch the play again. Oshie was actually trying to skate behind Malkin to pressure Crosby who had just received the pass from Malkin.  Malkin made the wrong assumption about Oshies motives--that doesn't give him the right to knock Oshie's head off.

I did watch the hit. Multiple times from every Angle.

Malkin was skating into the zone nowhere near Oshie. Oshie was barreling towards Malkin and all Malkin did was brace for impact and pushoff to shrug off the hit like he usually does.

In order for this to be even remotely called "headhunting", malkin would have had to been heading towards Oshie, not vice versa.

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I did watch the hit. Multiple times from every Angle.

Malkin was skating into the zone nowhere near Oshie. Oshie was barreling towards Malkin and all Malkin did was brace for impact and pushoff to shrug off the hit like he usually does.

In order for this to be even remotely called "headhunting", malkin would have had to been heading towards Oshie, not vice versa.

You can't tell me with a straight face that Oshie was targeting Malkin in any way. It's very obvious that Oshie was trying to skate behind Malkin and go after the puck.

Malkin did not just "brace" for impact. He initiated impact(contact) by turning into Oshie. Malkin knew Oshie wasn't going to hit him.  

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

I voted "no". Just one of those things - a hockey play. And I'm not one of Malkin's fans.

A deliberate elbow/shoulder to the head is not a "hockey play" IMO. It's a cheapshot. Hits like this have caused serious concussions that have derailed players careers. Eddie O' called it right. It was a "hit that could have been avoided".

3 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

A deliberate elbow/shoulder to the head is not a "hockey play" IMO. It's a cheapshot. Hits like this have caused serious concussions that have derailed players careers. Eddie O' called it right. It was a "hit that could have been avoided".

In my heart of hearts and nobody ever has or will call me a Malkin or Pens fan it was too quick, out of the corner of his eye Malkin saw Oshie flying at him and lifted his shoulder to defend against a potential head shot upon his own self. Clean play, Oshie was at fault for leading with his chin on this one. IMHO it should not have even been a penalty. Keep in mind tho that my wife says if their was a perfume named 'Kronwall' she has no doubt that we would have ten kids or more, lol.

20 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

In my heart of hearts and nobody ever has or will call me a Malkin or Pens fan it was too quick, out of the corner of his eye Malkin saw Oshie flying at him and lifted his shoulder to defend against a potential head shot upon his own self. Clean play, Oshie was at fault for leading with his chin on this one. IMHO it should not have even been a penalty. Keep in mind tho that my wife says if their was a perfume named 'Kronwall' she has no doubt that we would have ten kids or more, lol.

Oshie never intended to hit Malkin--he was obviously trying to go behind Malkin to chase the puck. If his intent was to drill Malkin why would he lead with his head??  I won't even give Malkin the benefit of the doubt and say he made a wrong assumption about Oshie's intent. Even if that was the case it still was a cheapshot worthy of a Match penalty and a suspension.

Malkin was not on the defensive. He actually slowed slightly as he made the pass to Crosby to get a better shot at him. That gave the appearance of Oshie leading with his head.

Malkin initiated the contact--Oshie did not-- with not only his shoulder but his elbow as well.

I'll say it again--these deliberate types of head shots can and have caused concussions severe enough to ruin players careers--they need to be eliminated.

Eddie O, who was part of the crew doing the game that night,  had it right when he said "it was a hit that could easily have been avoided".

On 11/10/2018 at 11:03 AM, sweetshot said:

Oshie never intended to hit Malkin--he was obviously trying to go behind Malkin to chase the puck. If his intent was to drill Malkin why would he lead with his head??  I won't even give Malkin the benefit of the doubt and say he made a wrong assumption about Oshie's intent. Even if that was the case it still was a cheapshot worthy of a Match penalty and a suspension.

Malkin was not on the defensive. He actually slowed slightly as he made the pass to Crosby to get a better shot at him. That gave the appearance of Oshie leading with his head.

Malkin initiated the contact--Oshie did not-- with not only his shoulder but his elbow as well.

I'll say it again--these deliberate types of head shots can and have caused concussions severe enough to ruin players careers--they need to be eliminated.

Eddie O, who was part of the crew doing the game that night,  had it right when he said "it was a hit that could easily have been avoided".

If Oshie never intended to hit Malkin, then his face would not have hit Malkin's shoulder. Malkin was heading into the zone with the puck paying absolutely no attention to changing directions or anything towards TJ Oshie.

Oshie was going towards Malkin. Not vice Versa. Malkin did nothing to change direction or ANYTHING. All Malkin did was brace and push back like he ALWAYS does when he sees someone about to make contact with him because he carried the puck into the zone.

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

If Oshie never intended to hit Malkin, then his face would not have hit Malkin's shoulder. Malkin was heading into the zone with the puck paying absolutely no attention to changing directions or anything towards TJ Oshie.

Oshie was going towards Malkin. Not vice Versa. Malkin did nothing to change direction or ANYTHING. All Malkin did was brace and push back like he ALWAYS does when he sees someone about to make contact with him because he carried the puck into the zone.

The key point you are failing to see is that Malkin initiates contact moving into Oshie--watch the video again. Malkin starts to coast before contact, lining Oshie up before slightly turning and then initiating contact with his shoulder and elbow on Oshie's head. Oshie had his eyes on the puck before the contact(as the puck was what he was chasing not Malkin) and didn't even see Malkin had targeted him--Oshie never saw it coming. He obviously was trying to go behind Malkin after the puck.

10 hours ago, sweetshot said:

The key point you are failing to see is that Malkin initiates contact moving into Oshie--watch the video again. Malkin starts to coast before contact, lining Oshie up before slightly turning and then initiating contact with his shoulder and elbow on Oshie's head. Oshie had his eyes on the puck before the contact(as the puck was what he was chasing not Malkin) and didn't even see Malkin had targeted him--Oshie never saw it coming. He obviously was trying to go behind Malkin after the puck.

Sorry. I watched the video a dozen times and disagree with you.

So does the NHL since they cleared him

13 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Sorry. I watched the video a dozen times and disagree with you.

So does the NHL since they cleared him

Either way, the NHL isn't very interested in getting rid of these types of hits. That's my biggest concern, anyway, players getting concussed from unnecessary hits to the head. I've really got nothing against Malkin.

Anyway, have a good one.

Archived