×
Jump to content
Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
TonyOday

105 Point Pace

Recommended Posts

Seems about right for this team. Our defense is looking nice and I like the sandpaper on the third pair. Cannot wait until we find out what is wrong with Nino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK Tony... defense is looking surprisingly solid, Parise has made a classy comeback and Dubnyk has been mostly (and surprisingly) excellent but for instance: we have no scoring depth. When the injuries start to plague and they will, who do we have for replacements? Can Dubnyk play like this for 60+ games? I doubt it.

 

Not wanting to be a Debbie Downer but I think the road to 105 points is still a long and winding one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda early to be talking paces, gentlemen, wouldn't you say?  :biggrin:

I know, I know....speculation.
It's what we as fans love to do, and, well, it is our duty to speculate on all things after all.

But you know, let's say Minnesota DOES grab 105 points....it means the team makes the playoffs for sure....what position, that will yet to be determined of course, but remember...with the "loser point" always in play, 100 pt seasons just doesn't have the same meaning it did years ago.

I mean, I remember when I first started following the NHL, 100 pt seasons were for the elite teams, the good ones were in the 90+ range, and the ones who barely got in usually registered something in the mid to upper 80pt range.

Looking back several seasons, with the loser OT/SO point, one can see where pretty standard, even mediocre teams scored above 90 pts to get into the playoffs.

That all said, guys, hey, if the Wild can give us another 100 pt season, I will be happy as a clam on the bottom of a reef! :bigteeth:
Of course, like all of you, I'd like to see them go BEYOND the first and second rounds for a change..... but maybe THAT is asking too much at this point, no? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

105 point pace may be...but I still don't think this team will reach it.  Nino is fine, health-wise...he's simply lost a step and his hands seem to be leaving him early.  Not good for him or the Wild who invested in him for another 3 seasons after this one.  

 

Our scoring depth has mostly come from our blueline so far to supplement what our Top 6 has been able to do.  Not much from the bottom 6.  However I'd argue our 3rd pairing is a significant step forward from where it was a season ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think our 4th line with Foligno and Fehr has played well, added some punch and some grit. I think, unfortunately, our playoff hopes ride or die with how many points Ek, Nino and Coyle put up and that should give the Wild heart attacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team has managed to get 100 points the last several seasons. They are certainly capable of that.  But it doesn’t matter two hoops and a hill of beans if they flame out in the first round again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

This team has managed to get 100 points the last several seasons. They are certainly capable of that.  But it doesn’t matter two hoops and a hill of beans if they flame out in the first round again. 

 

Yep. You got it.
Shouldn't take a Herculean effort to reach the century mark in points given the standings system...but if the Wild simply lose out in the first round again, it's just a bunch of ….
Hoopla.gif.14e0d468e4c812e559b5cdaff83dc9b0.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

56 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

 

Yep. You got it.
Shouldn't take a Herculean effort to reach the century mark in points given the standings system...but if the Wild simply lose out in the first round again, it's just a bunch of ….
Hoopla.gif.14e0d468e4c812e559b5cdaff83dc9b0.gif

 

I know a lot of people think that fans should just be happy with a 100 point season and then anything goes in the Playoffs. For me, the team needs to take the next step. If it can’t, then it doesn’t need “tweaks”.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the our Div is on pace for 100+. Ok, Maybe not the Hawks and Blues but put a Q in ST. Lou and they could join the mix.

Let's say nobody goes through any prolonged slumps and the Wild are in the mix. Then what? Fenton has to have a plan on some trades now that he's seen the team in action. Does he rock the boat or do we endure another 'go with what we have' scenario?

Like Tony said, It's up to those 3 and I'd add Zucker to his list for even a chance at 100 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Most of the our Div is on pace for 100+. Ok, Maybe not the Hawks and Blues but put a Q in ST. Lou and they could join the mix.

Let's say nobody goes through any prolonged slumps and the Wild are in the mix. Then what? Fenton has to have a plan on some trades now that he's seen the team in action. Does he rock the boat or do we endure another 'go with what we have' scenario?

Like Tony said, It's up to those 3 and I'd add Zucker to his list for even a chance at 100 points.

If the team is out of the Playoff picture in March, I can see Fenton trading Staal for a draft pick or maybe a prospect. 

I wouldn’t expect to see Fenton make any major moves until next summer, most likely at the 2019 Entry Draft. 

Fenton’s real problem is that any pieces that may have trade value have a NTC or NMC. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, DevinWieser said:

Niederreiter is only 26 years old...I don't think he has reached his prime yet. 

 

I agree.  I think Coyle and Nino are both late bloomers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

If the team is out of the Playoff picture in March,

 

It won't be.  American Thanksgiving - see where the team is at then...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Let's say nobody goes through any prolonged slumps and the Wild are in the mix. Then what? Fenton has to have a plan on some trades now that he's seen the team in action. Does he rock the boat or do we endure another 'go with what we have' scenario?

 

IMO this is the roster.   And it is NOT a bad roster.  This is a solid team.   I'm enjoying the ride and thinking positive.    American Thanksgiving...  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Fargocase said:

 

I agree.  I think Coyle and Nino are both late bloomers.

Very late bloomers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, TonyOday said:

Nice road trip. Have to bank these points for the January swoon.

Why not but the April swoon is what I'm more afraid of. Our record as of late is excellent, way over expectations. At this rate we might accumulate 105+ points but once the playoffs start do we have the players to have success there too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I mean, I remember when I first started following the NHL, 100 pt seasons were for the elite teams, the good ones were in the 90+ range, and the ones who barely got in usually registered something in the mid to upper 80pt range.

 

Lmfao, I was just thinking this when I seen the race to 105 and thought that could possibly not be enough. I remember back when the elites were 100 pts and the sneak in the backdoor teams were in the 80s. If somebody would have told me that in 2000s that points in the 80s would not even be worth a WC spot but mid 90s would be worth a WC spot, back in the day I would have laughed and called you foolish.

 

As far as some people saying if the Wild are going to miss the playoffs and about trading I don't think Eric Staal will net much in return. He's on his last year and a UFA at the end of this season. He is 34/35 and probably not going to play to much longer. Only thing I could foresee is a disappearing rental player or a very late draft pick for him as teams know they can always try to sweep him up in the offseason. If anything Fenton will probably need to think more about cap room and want to move bigger contracts to open up the future for his decisions. But this would be only if CL has backed off the minor tweaks bullchit he spouted earlier and give the keys to Fenton to run it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

 

As far as some people saying if the Wild are going to miss the playoffs and about trading I don't think Eric Staal will net much in return. He's on his last year and a UFA at the end of this season. He is 34/35 and probably not going to play to much longer. Only thing I could foresee is a disappearing rental player or a very late draft pick for him as teams know they can always try to sweep him up in the offseason. If anything Fenton will probably need to think more about cap room and want to move bigger contracts to open up the future for his decisions. But this would be only if CL has backed off the minor tweaks bullchit he spouted earlier and give the keys to Fenton to run it.

Exactly what I was going to say. If Staal comes close to last years' production (which would be tough...maybe) We'd probably be in a good place and have no reason to trade. This is one of those times where I'd wait and see what he wants to do at the end of the season. We don't know how he feels about playing and last year rejuvenated him for this year. If he likes it here and wants to keep the family settled he may just sign up again at a fair price. I'd take that risk. Much better than some pick that we may never see. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:


Of course, like all of you, I'd like to see them go BEYOND the first and second rounds for a change..... but maybe THAT is asking too much at this point, no? 

 

DEMANDING the Wild make the Conference Finals IS asking too much of ANY team IMO.    Chit happens.   Not saying that you were saying/demanding that, just answering your question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:04 AM, EJ0226 said:

As far as some people saying if the Wild are going to miss the playoffs and about trading I don't think Eric Staal will net much in return. He's on his last year and a UFA at the end of this season.

a disappearing rental player or a very late draft pick for him as teams know they can always try to sweep him up in the offseason. 

 

My answer to this is you should go back and see how much desperate teams are willing to give for a rental player.   IMO you don't know your trade deadline history if you think Big E. would garner only a late round Pick from a Contender looking to beef up for a Playoff run, or even a team with a desperate GM trying to even make the Playoffs.

Edited by Fargocase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

 

DEMANDING the Wild make the Conference Finals IS asking too much of ANY team IMO.    Chit happens.   Not saying that you were saying/demanding that, just answering your question.

 

Definitely a tough road....always is.

Still would be nice to have Minnesota do such a thing to silence at least some of the naysayers.
They've had good teams for several seasons now, and I'll be honest, with the way the always tough Central was shaping up this year during pre-season, I thought the Wild would be hard pressed to even hang on to a wild card spot.

The team now, of course, is playing real well, and hopefully stay that way well into the season.
Some guys that needed to step up have done so, while others are still floundering......but Dubnyk hasn't looked this good since that incredible run he had when Minnesota first got him.

We will see.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

After a terrible season with Carolina, E. Stall was traded for two 2nds and a prospect to the Rag$.   Even though he's a few years older, he's proven he still can be a force in the NHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Fargocase said:

After a terrible season with Carolina, E. Stall was traded for two 2nds and a prospect to the Rag$.   Even though he's a few years older, he's proven he still can be a force in the NHL.

The Wild traded a first, a second, a conditional pick and a prospect for 4C Martin Hanzal a couple of years ago. So you are correct in assuming Staal with the numbers he’s put up the last two season could probably garner a very nice return. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

The Wild traded a first, a second, a conditional pick and a prospect for 4C Martin Hanzal a couple of years ago. So you are correct in assuming Staal with the numbers he’s put up the last two season could probably garner a very nice return. 

True but that was a trade by a guy who would have traded the # 1 pick for a mystery bag guaranteed to contain either, cat chit, dog chit or goose chit.


I think we are going to see teams be more picky about trades for rentals. Especially older rentals. I think we will see more teams be more conservative on trades for rentals and worry more about their future. Still just my opinion but I don't think we would get as much back as what Staal would provide. Now last year if we traded him well he still had some time left on the contract and was proving hot I bet we would have gotten a nice haul even though I would have been sad to see him go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 1
      Post
      IDK Tony... defense is looking surprisingly solid, Parise has made a classy comeback and Dubnyk has been mostly (and surprisingly) excellent but for instance: we have no scoring depth. When the injuries start to plague and they will, who do we have for replacements? Can Dubnyk play like this for 60+ games? I doubt it.   Not wanting to be a Debbie Downer but I think the road to 105 points is still a long and winding one.
    • 1
      Post
      Kinda early to be talking paces, gentlemen, wouldn't you say?  

      I know, I know....speculation.
      It's what we as fans love to do, and, well, it is our duty to speculate on all things after all.

      But you know, let's say Minnesota DOES grab 105 points....it means the team makes the playoffs for sure....what position, that will yet to be determined of course, but remember...with the "loser point" always in play, 100 pt seasons just doesn't have the same meaning it did years ago.

      I mean, I remember when I first started following the NHL, 100 pt seasons were for the elite teams, the good ones were in the 90+ range, and the ones who barely got in usually registered something in the mid to upper 80pt range.

      Looking back several seasons, with the loser OT/SO point, one can see where pretty standard, even mediocre teams scored above 90 pts to get into the playoffs.

      That all said, guys, hey, if the Wild can give us another 100 pt season, I will be happy as a clam on the bottom of a reef! 
      Of course, like all of you, I'd like to see them go BEYOND the first and second rounds for a change..... but maybe THAT is asking too much at this point, no? 
    • 1
      Post
      This team has managed to get 100 points the last several seasons. They are certainly capable of that.  But it doesn’t matter two hoops and a hill of beans if they flame out in the first round again. 
    • 1
      Post
      Yep. You got it.
      Shouldn't take a Herculean effort to reach the century mark in points given the standings system...but if the Wild simply lose out in the first round again, it's just a bunch of ….
    • 1
      Post
      I know a lot of people think that fans should just be happy with a 100 point season and then anything goes in the Playoffs. For me, the team needs to take the next step. If it can’t, then it doesn’t need “tweaks”.
    • 1
      Post
      If the team is out of the Playoff picture in March, I can see Fenton trading Staal for a draft pick or maybe a prospect.  I wouldn’t expect to see Fenton make any major moves until next summer, most likely at the 2019 Entry Draft.  Fenton’s real problem is that any pieces that may have trade value have a NTC or NMC. 

About HF.net

 We are an enthusiastic community of HockeyFans who enjoy discussing the NHL and more in our Forums.  Our members may also write their own blogs, converse in chat, post pics in our gallery, join our fantasy hockey leagues and more.  If you are looking for a friendly community to discuss hockey then register today and begin your conversation in our NET.

 

 

Contact Us

 

Like what we do? Help us keep doing it!
Supporting Members help keep HockeyForums Advertisement Free
×