105 Point Pace

TonyOday

4 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

A lot of people have been saying it for years but the Wild created a safe haven atmosphere for players and the contracts prove this. I do wish the NHL would either get rid of the NTC/NMC or be like the NFL where basically nobody has it as the they wouldn't get the bonuses if they did have one of those on their contract.  So you want a NTC/NMC on your contract, ok then you get a hell of a lot less money. It would change so much for the Wild. Could you imagine that they could have dumped Koivu, Suter and Parise after seeing they were not going to work and move on instead of having to sit through 6 more seasons of it with at least 2 of the guys?

That's how it should be. Give a little to get some thing in return. But for some reason the league allows the players + ( Association ) to get everything they want. Shows how much of a little pu$$y Bettman is. He's so fond of all his owner buddies yet he does nothing to help them.

I doubt we'd lose another team. Unless Florida relocates or folds I'm not going to worry. 

I can see them closing up the 'Warming House' since the STH's are dwindling each year.

But they'll keep most of the seats filled with promotions on ticket prices.

Your 19-23-3 is pretty spot on. There's no reason to think a good win streak is going to happen unless we get a major spark via trade.

It's too bad since we finally have Parise healthy and his play is showing it while so many others are way under performing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

That's how it should be. Give a little to get some thing in return. But for some reason the league allows the players + ( Association ) to get everything they want. Shows how much of a little pu$$y Bettman is. He's so fond of all his owner buddies yet he does nothing to help them.

I doubt we'd lose another team. Unless Florida relocates or folds I'm not going to worry. 

I can see them closing up the 'Warming House' since the STH's are dwindling each year.

Your 19-23-3 is pretty spot on. There's no reason to think a good win streak is going to happen unless we get a major spark via trade.

It's too bad since we finally have Parise healthy and his play is showing it while so many others are way under performing.

Actually, Bettman got the owners the hard salary cap they wanted and the "cost certainty" for league revenues they wanted (only 57% of league revenue can go towards player salary). The players wanted no cap what-so-ever. For the 04-05 lockout, the players lost, both in the negotiations, but also in the court of public opinion.

No one forces the GMs to offer NTC/NMC. It's a bargaining chip for contract negotiations. Look at Zucker's latest contract. He wanted north of $6M per season. The Wild didn't have the cap space for that. So they offered him a $5M salary and a NMC. Fenton didn't have to do that. He could have waited to see what Zucker would have done this season and then made him an offer later in the season. But then you run the risk if a player having an even better season, or they get close enough to free agency that they test the waters anyway, regardless of offer. You don't think Vegas would have backed up a Brinks Truck to Zucker's front door on July 1? How upset would fans have been had Fenton let Zucker walk because he didn't have the cap space to sign him to $6+M but refused to give him a NTC? Now the Wild not only have bad press, they have to spend money to replace Zucker's 30 goals. 

22 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Thank you on agreeing with my prediction. I don't see any reason either to think the team is going to turn it around. And you are right, Parise is on pace to have his best season with us and around his 4th best season ever and everybody else has completely disappeared. What a waste of a for once healthy Parise.

18 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Actually, Bettman got the owners the hard salary cap they wanted and the "cost certainty" for league revenues they wanted (only 57% of league revenue can go towards player salary). The players wanted no cap what-so-ever. For the 04-05 lockout, the players lost, both in the negotiations, but also in the court of public opinion.

No one forces the GMs to offer NTC/NMC. It's a bargaining chip for contract negotiations. Look at Zucker's latest contract. He wanted north of $6M per season. The Wild didn't have the cap space for that. So they offered him a $5M salary and a NMC. Fenton didn't have to do that. He could have waited to see what Zucker would have done this season and then made him an offer later in the season. But then you run the risk if a player having an even better season, or they get close enough to free agency that they test the waters anyway, regardless of offer. You don't think Vegas would have backed up a Brinks Truck to Zucker's front door on July 1? How upset would fans have been had Fenton let Zucker walk because he didn't have the cap space to sign him to $6+M but refused to give him a NTC? Now the Wild not only have bad press, they have to spend money to replace Zucker's 30 goals. 

Not going to argue if the contracts suck or not but my point on it is if NFL teams basically never have NTC & NMC even on their stars the NHL really shouldn't either. It basically sucks that teams are being forced into those in order to land guys that they think are the building blocks for the franchise and these players, once signed, don't have to do anything or worry about losing the money and being let go. It's extremely frustrating to watch so many players on our team underperform and then contract year comes up and do fantastic and then after signing with us again just disappear. Zucker is for sure the shining example this year. I really do believe if players had the breath of you can be let go at any time and lose your pay day that we would see different attitudes and see 100% play all the time. It appears a lot of our guys are not self motivated and more money motivated. Once they get that money so many of them disappear completely.

I don't envy Fenton at all. I don't envy any coach for the Wild with this group. It's a mess and there is a bunch of guys you really can't do much with until their contracts are up. You really can't do a full rebuild due to this. But with these guys contracts it's not like you can go out and get a elite player or two that will make a impact. I still think the Wild are in the worst spot. Good enough to ever get a good draft pick that will be a impact but no where good enough to advance out of the first round of the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

It basically sucks that teams are being forced into those in order to land guys that they think are the building blocks for the franchise and these players, once signed, don't have to do anything or worry about losing the money and being let go. It's extremely frustrating to watch so many players on our team underperform and then contract year comes up and do fantastic and then after signing with us again just disappear. Zucker is for sure the shining example this year. I really do believe if players had the breath of you can be let go at any time and lose your pay day that we would see different attitudes and see 100% play all the time. It appears a lot of our guys are not self motivated and more money motivated. Once they get that money so many of them disappear completely.

I don't envy Fenton at all. I don't envy any coach for the Wild with this group. It's a mess and there is a bunch of guys you really can't do much with until their contracts are up. You really can't do a full rebuild due to this. 

This is where many times I've stated that players become "comfortable" after the big signing. Something in how they mentally play changes compared to how they play when it's a contract coming up season. It's human nature I guess. Zucker still flies around but nothing is clicking for him at all in the last 2+ months.

I don't feel sorry for Fenton because he knew 'On paper' what he was taking on. Maybe he really likes a challenge and he got one to come up with something for this team to succeed. 

I think that seeing how the younger guys are under performing and add in about the time Dumba went down, Fenton probably tossed all that paperwork in the air. :P

• 3 months later...

So what's 1 more bumped thread. ;)

I was keeping track after my 12/27 update to see how close to a few predictions ended up.

I stated they had to go 32-11-4 to get the 105 Points. Lol, I knew that wasn't going to happen.

EJ0226 predicted 19-25-3

sweetshot predicted 22-21-4

Actual was 20-21-6

Pretty damn close for both.

What I thought was interesting was to see during the original posting of this,  All the optimism and somewhat pessimism during a decent start to the season. 

On 11/8/2018 at 8:53 PM, Hockey-78 said:

IDK Tony... defense is looking surprisingly solid, Parise has made a classy comeback and Dubnyk has been mostly (and surprisingly) excellent but for instance: we have no scoring depth. When the injuries start to plague and they will, who do we have for replacements? Can Dubnyk play like this for 60+ games? I doubt it.

Interestingly enough I correctly pointed out most of our problems months ago.

Since those same problems have existed like the last three years I won't place myself on a too high of a pedestal...

And not to amaze anyone , I think the Wild will get to "enjoy" the same problems next season too.

Archived