Wild vs. Ducks 11/9/18 @ 9:00PM CST at Honda Center

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Ducks Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (9-4-2)  20pts  2nd in the Central

3.07 Goals For Per Game (18th in the NHL)

2.67 Goals Against Per Game (7th in the NHL)

20.4% Power Play (15th in the NHL)

86% Penalty Kill (4th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Zach Parise ~ 6G 9A = 15pts

2. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 7G 7A = 14pts

3. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 3G 10A = 13pts

4. #12 Eric Staal ~ 5G 6A = 11pts

5. #9 Mikko Koivu ~ 2G 9A = 11pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #21 Eric Fehr ~ 16 PIM’s

2. #29 Greg Pateryn ~ 12 PIM’s

3. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 11 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (7-3-2)  2.15GAA  .932%SP

2. #32 Alex Stalock (2-1-0)  3.30GAA  .895%SP

Vs.

Anaheim Ducks (7-7-3)  17pts  5th in the Pacific

2.35 Goals For Per Game (30th in the NHL)

2.71 Goals Against Per Game (9th in the NHL)

14.6% Power Play (25th in the NHL)

78.9% Penalty Kill (18th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #67 Rickard Rakell ~ 3G 9A = 12pts

2. #15 Ryan Getzlaf ~ 3G 8A = 11pts

3. #33 Jakob Silfverberg ~ 5G 5A = 10pts

4. #4 Cam Fowler ~ 3G 7A = 10pts

5. #14 Adam Henrique ~ 4G 4A = 8pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #42 Josh Manson ~ 16 PIM’s

2. #28 Marcus Pettersson ~ 13 PIM’s

3. #33 Jakob Silfverberg ~ 12 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #36 John Gibson (5-5-3)  2.41GAA  .933%SP  1SO

2. #30 Ryan Miller (2-2-0)  2.33GAA  .936%SP

Spoiler alert, MNSOTA's game preview is a bit somber.  She shares some thoughts on Bob Naegele Jr.'s passing.  I promise, I'll have a full post-gamer tonight and it will have a ton of extras in it.  The Wild have to feel good about their effort against the Kings; and they continue to demonstrate that odd resilience after giving up the 1st goal.  Not sure you want to do that against a strong defensive team like Anaheim.  They struggle to score...but they are the kind of team that is probably happy to defend a 1-0 lead all game.  Enjoy and discuss...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

In our TOP5 leading scorers you'll find 4 vets. Where is Zucker, Nino, Charlie...

Hopefully Gibson has an off game. I've seen a couple of his games; very hard to beat when he gets into rhythm early on.

Good question. I think Zucker had 9 points the first 9 games...

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

In our TOP5 leading scorers you'll find 4 vets. Where is Zucker, Nino, Charlie...

Hopefully Gibson has an off game. I've seen a couple of his games; very hard to beat when he gets into rhythm early on.

As good as Gibson has been so far this year, fortunately, his defense, and indeed, his team overall WILL give the Wild plenty of chances, and lots of good looks at the Anaheim netminder.

The Ducks rank pretty high in the league in prevented goals.....but that's no thanks to the skaters...that is almost pure Gibson.
Anaheim penalty kill isn't too tough either (again, anything good they do is centered on Gibson) at just a 79% efficiency, and the team is so beat up on their front lines, goals are sometimes hard to come by for these guys.
If there was ever a time for the Minnesota PP to attack a vulnerable opponent, these guys would be it.

So yea...If Gibson is good (he has looked a bit more mortal lately), Wild are gonna have a hard time getting goals, but if they pepper and pressure him, with the chances his defense will give them, he can be beaten..and along with him, the Ducks' overall team confidence.

Would be nice if Alex Stalock can hold up his end of the bargain.

Go Wild GO!

:wild:

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Pretty close.

8 games since he last scored a goal, very alarming and disappointing.

I would agree--at least the Wild have been lucky his scoring drought hasn't hurt yet as their hot streak started about when Zucker stopped scoring. I think it's coincidence and would still like to see Zucker get off the schneid obviously. 

13 minutes ago, Starofthenorth said:

I'm pretty sure it was granlund stall and Zucker when zucker was a point per game. They swapped him for Greenway to try and spark Greenway, and had Zucker try and spark Nino's play. Zucker hasn't been the same since. 

I agree. Rarely hear Zuckers name called lately 

So far, end of the 2nd period... This might be the most complete game the Wild have ever played.

Knocking on wood 🔨

On both ends of the ice they're anticipating, contributing, making crisp passes, beating Anaheim to just about every puck, shooting on net, fore checking, back checking and controlling the puck very well.

Just now, rottenrefs said:

So far, end of the 2nd period... This might be the most complete game the Wild have ever played.

Knocking on wood 🔨

On both ends of the ice they're anticipating, contributing, making crisp passes, beating Anaheim to just about every puck, shooting on net, fore checking, back checking and controlling the puck very well.

is it the Wild playing so good or the Ducks so bad 

Just now, Bear said:

is it the Wild playing so good or the Ducks so bad 

Probably both but the Wild aren't letting the Ducks get on track, and they're playing to their potential as opposed to playing to the level of competition.

Archived