Milan Lucic's role and contract

Hockey-78

So Milan Lucic is feared by many players. Some time ago he used to score a lot, too. A perfect example of a power forward? Why not.

But now: his numbers are going down fast and the game around him seems to be going fast, too. At this rate he'll finish the season with something like 5 goals, 20 points and -35 rating. His salary is $6 mil. per year so... ouch! Poor numbers despite playing PP and even with Mac at times. Goons have become relics so what's left he can give to the Oilers? Bring energy, lay heavy checks, be a good team mate... for 5 years and $30 mils.?

I know GM Chiarelli has his back but from a business point of view, if this trend continues, the Oilers will try to trade him and if and when no one wants him, he'll be bought out sooner than later.

What do you think? What am I missing? Help me out.

I don't know how I missed this thread...

Lucic's contract? It's a disaster, and it's a big part of the reason why the Oilers felt it was ok to move Taylor Hall, as they thought that Lucic + Larsson > Hall.

4 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

@JR Ewing Yeah, I was kind of wondering "is JR taking an exception to the thread" since there aren't many threads started in this section. 🤔

So what does the general fan base think? Unhappy like you? Is there a deal in the works or is Chiarelli publicly happy with Lucic?

The fanbase is beside itself over the contract; it's an absolute stinker. I wasn't thrilled with the price on that day, but chalked it up to being the price of doing business on July 1st, and hoped the deal wouldn't be poison until year 4 or 5. Unfortunately, it turned into that half-way through his second season. I understood the thought process behind the contract, and how they thought that Lucic and Larsson would help soften the blow from losing a player of Taylor Hall's quality. I've commented before that it simultaneously raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Unfortunately, Milan's place in how the game is played now lower both of those a bit more. Ironically, the Oilers were fast and small, and then traded it in for bigger and slower right when the league switched to their style...

A deal? I don't think there are any takers. At least, I don't see any until the summer, and some GM wants it to pad his cap floor. Otherwise, I don't think that there's much the Oilers can do other than wait for it to burn off.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Thanks 1

@Hockey-78 It's early in the day, and I'm less grumpy than I was the other day. After a bit more thought, how about these options for Oilers, or the guy who gets the job after Chiarelli is fired out of Edmonton via cannon:

From most likely to least likely as I would guess it to be:

-Schuermann's Disease “ends” his career (either for real, or through creative accounting).

-Compliance buy-out after next CBA negotiation.
-Expansion draft.
-Buy-out after being demoted to 4LW if still not effective after next year.

-Lucic plays better (pretty sure he’s more than a 2 goal/season player, or 12 point player).
-Lucic plays better and gets traded away.

-Lucic stays the same and the Oilers trade, but retain a lot of cap hit.

-Oilers just wait the contract out, and burn McDavid prime years.

Come on, Seattle!

Come on acrimonious CBA talks!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

@Hockey-78 It's early in the day, and I'm less grumpy than I was the other day. After a bit more thought, how about these options for Oilers, or the guy who gets the job after Chiarelli is fired out of Edmonton via cannon:

From most likely to least likely as I would guess it to be:

-Schuermann's Disease “ends” his career (either for real, or through creative accounting).

-Compliance buy-out after next CBA negotiation.
-Expansion draft.
-Buy-out after being demoted to 4LW if still not effective after next year.

-Lucic plays better (pretty sure he’s more than a 2 goal/season player, or 12 point player).
-Lucic plays better and gets traded away.

-Lucic stays the same and the Oilers trade, but retain a lot of cap hit.

-Oilers just wait the contract out, and burn McDavid prime years.

Come on, Seattle!

Come on acrimonious CBA talks!

I hate that SOB.  That dirty hit on Miller I will never forget or forgive.  He is a bastard

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I hate that SOB.  That dirty hit on Miller I will never forget or forgive.  He is a bastard

I completely get that. That's the night which pretty much kick-started the Sabres decision to rebuild, as I saw it from the outside. Nobody on the ice really did a damned thing about what Lucic did.

Edited by JR Ewing

37 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I completely get that. That's the night which pretty much kick-started the Sabres decision to rebuild, as I saw it from the outside. Nobody on the ice really did a damned thing about what Lucic did.

Just occurred to me...
The guy Lucic is swatting away like a fly....the one trying but failing miserably to do something to Lucic...isn't that the SAME Andrej Sekera who is his teammate in Edmonton now?  

Maybe that's why Sekera is always injured....lingering affects from that Lucic hit on Miller, then him trying to avenge him.... :bigteeth:

21 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Not at the time.  They did not want the retaliation type penalties that go with it.   Ruff did send out some goons later on.  I believe he called up some less talented skaters for that role from Rochester the next time they played Boston

57 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Not at the time.  They did not want the retaliation type penalties that go with it.   Ruff did send out some goons later on.  I believe he called up some less talented skaters for that role from Rochester the next time they played Boston

What I mean about Lucic kickstarting the Sabres rebuild is that management watched a team of guys who refused to do anything about what happened, and were dismayed by it. In fact, I think they were beside themselves about the lack of response, and were going to be damned if fans in Buffalo would be asked to pay money to watch a team that wouldn't stand up for itself. Not only did nobody on the ice at the time (Gaustad included) try to do anything, but nobody even thought of making life uncomfortable for Tim Thomas down at the other end.

They believed that they weren't tough enough to contend, and that they had a character problem in the dressing room. Looking at the top of the roster, the team soon moved on from Jason Pominville, Derek Roy, and Thomas Vanek, and the next thing you know, they brought in Coke machines like John Scott, Joe Finley, Adam Pardy, Marcus Foligno, Chris Stewart and Nikita Zadorov. Some of them could play a bit, but a lot of them were completely stick-optional layers.

Now, going back to Lucic running Miller, I know that they played a couple of weeks later, and Paul Gaustad wanted to tangle, as I remember that he was embarrassed by not doing anything when the hit occurred. It was a clear decision for Lucic, but I always respect a guy for standing up for a teammate in a situation like this, where it wasn't any sort of clean hit. I imagine that for Sabres management, it was too little too late.

Edited by JR Ewing

40 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

What I mean about Lucic kickstarting the Sabres rebuild is that management watched a team of guys who refused to do anything about what happened, and were dismayed by it. In fact, I think they were beside themselves about the lack of response, and were going to be damned if fans in Buffalo would be asked to pay money to watch a team that wouldn't stand up for itself. Not only did nobody on the ice at the time (Gaustad included) try to do anything, but nobody even thought of making life uncomfortable for Tim Thomas down at the other end.

They believed that they weren't tough enough to contend, and that they had a character problem in the dressing room. Looking at the top of the roster, the team soon moved on from Jason Pominville, Derek Roy, and Thomas Vanek, and the next thing you know, they brought in Coke machines like John Scott, Joe Finley, Adam Pardy, Marcus Foligno, Chris Stewart and Nikita Zadorov. Some of them could play a bit, but a lot of them were completely stick-optional layers.

Now, going back to Lucic running Miller, I know that they played a couple of weeks later, and Paul Gaustad wanted to tangle, as I remember that he was embarrassed by not doing anything when the hit occurred. It was a clear decision for Lucic, but I always respect a guy for standing up for a teammate in a situation like this, where it wasn't any sort of clean hit. I imagine that for Sabres management, it was too little too late.

Big John Scott.  Who could forget him.  LOL>  And Gausted was one heck of a player for us when we had that very good contending team.  I believe he later went to Nashville before hanging up the skates?  I might be wrong?  I really liked him.  You are right about the toughness thing.  But they had a very good team.  And you do not want to mess with your chore talented players while acquiring "goons" to go out and deal with dirty players like Lucic.  Lucic got off far easier than he should have and that is one thing that really pissed us off.  Just like Bettman and his disregard for the "in the crease" rule that gave Dallas the Stanley Cup on a hot June morning at about 3 am est I believe.  I did not think that game would ever end and the refs wanted to go to bed, and it was easier to give Hull that F+$%king goal than to do the right thing .  Another thing that gets my blood boiling. Lucic should be taken out by someone like Wilson. 

If you are reading this i am editing this.

Remember years and years ago when Scotty Bowman was our coach and he put Wensink, Playfair and three other goons out vs Boston?  It was funny as hell.  Nobody even cared where the puck was.  The big black players we had and I cant remember his name was out there too?  Bowman just said "sick em".  

PS  It was Val James.  LOL

Edited by Hockey Junkie

28 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Yes and just imagine him, Wensink and Larry Playfair out there at the same time.  It was funny.  Everyone knew what Bowman was doing.  

I'll bet the guys lining up across from them weren't laughing.

• 8 months later...

Milan just climbed to a much better team. No offense JR.

But getting him elsewhere was good for you guys. And with Tippett in, the upcoming season looks much better. Do I sense the smell of sweaty playoff jock straps in Edmonton again?

1 minute ago, Hockey-78 said:

Milan just climbed to a much better team. No offense JR.

I'm never offended by the truth.

1 minute ago, Hockey-78 said:

But getting him elsewhere was good for you guys. And with Tippett in, the upcoming season looks much better. Do I sense the smell of sweaty playoff jock straps in Edmonton again?

I really don't think so. The Oilers offensive depth is thinner than Karen Carpenter.

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm never offended by the truth.

I really don't think so. The Oilers offensive depth is thinner than Karen Carpenter.

Ouch, that kind of hurt me. Loved her voice and still do.

Your offensive depth is improving. Sure I was joking, a tad, but I seriously believe you'll have a better team.