Confession...

off_the_post

I love the alternate uniforms. There, I said it.  It is my favorite and I know that is sacrilegious.  No more being ashamed to admit it.

I love the black shirts.  The sleeve numbers could be a bit smaller however the entire uniform reminds me of the Alabama and Penn State uniforms.  Simple yet strong.

12 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

I love the alternate uniforms. There, I said it.  It is my favorite and I know that is sacrilegious.  No more being ashamed to admit it.

I love the black shirts.  The sleeve numbers could be a bit smaller however the entire uniform reminds me of the Alabama and Penn State uniforms.  Simple yet strong.

usually, i roll my eyes hard at black uniforms, but you are right this 3rd sweater combo is great.

I love the black over black numbers, I like the nameplates,  I like the size of the numbers on the sleeve, of course, black orange and white is a super strong color scheme. 

a bonus even though I'm not real high on moose, i love that his mask is matte finished, his kit is sharp too. 

Honestly hate them. I think they're ugly as all hell. 

And I kept having to remind myself which team was the Flyers.  And I have a very hard time reading the name plates if they're moving at all.  

I don't have the words to describe how much I dislike them and how much I'm really souring on the organization with its asinine uniform and mascot and on air personality decisions and it's boring product. 

It doesn't even remotely resemble the team or sport I grew up loving. It's sad. 

And did I mention that I hate the God awful ugly uniforms? 

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm really souring on the organization ... and it's boring product. 

I've been asking myself would I be okay watching boring winning hockey ?

We should ask that one guy who roots for the devils what that was like...

I sure as hell don't like watching boring losing hockey,  One of the things I've noticed is the game recaps for the Flyers are short as if nothing interesting happened, even the goals scored. I don't know if that's the new style sheet from the NHL or if it is there is no interesting content from Flyers games. I think probably both things are true. 

I don't like the coach a  whole lot, I think there are good players on this team who are neutered by the playing style. I know it's the safe play but watching the team dilly dally around the perimeter blows. I think it also makes it easier to hem our team in the defensive zone. 

I wish to hell Laviolette hadn't spent that summer at Delaware Downs instead of thinking about how to bury Lecavalier and wasn't fired. **** happened when that guy was the coach.

I’m sure the jerseys are really nice up close and in person, but I don’t like them on TV because I can’t make out the numbers or names very well. 

@ruxpin @mojo1917

Hockey has become boring in general, it’s not just the Flyers. And I suspect it’s only boring to those who grew up with something different. 

Here’s the thing - Olympic hockey, largely without hits and physicality, is amazing to watch. 

So what’s the difference? Talent. 

The NHL is too diluted to be really engaging during the regular season. On top of that, there’s little emotion and physicality during games, which kind of makes the whole game a non-event unless someone scores. 

3 hours ago, brelic said:

On top of that, there’s little emotion and physicality during games, which kind of makes the whole game a non-event unless someone scores. 

Your whole post is spot on,  But this made me think what the crux of the problem is for me:   They've made it soccer on ice.    For me, televised soccer is about as exciting as a "how to" on plucking your eyebrows.

One of the first games this season I got to sit down and watch with my son (6 years old)....the game starts and he looks at me and says, "wait, Dad, which ones are the Flyers!?".....I had to explain the idea of a "3rd" uniform which was of course lost on him...

he thought they were trying to confuse the other team.... :)

Not sure HE loved the new Jerseys but he def loved the 4 unanswered goals!

I'm okay with them....I was too focused on trying t figure out who thy dressed up in Elliot's gear!!! 😉

On 11/11/2018 at 8:11 AM, off_the_post said:

love them as well!

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

They really are nice... just impossible to read on teevee lol. 

Definitely hard to read on TV. 

I actually like nothing about them, though. To me, they look like they're skating in their pajamas.  And not the good kind. 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:28 AM, ruxpin said:

Honestly hate them. I think they're ugly as all hell. 

And I kept having to remind myself which team was the Flyers.  And I have a very hard time reading the name plates if they're moving at all.  

I don't have the words to describe how much I dislike them and how much I'm really souring on the organization with its asinine uniform and mascot and on air personality decisions and it's boring product. 

It doesn't even remotely resemble the team or sport I grew up loving. It's sad. 

And did I mention that I hate the God awful ugly uniforms? 

:PostAward2:

I dont care for them either.  They are gimmicky and remind me too much of when we got crushed by the Pens in 2017 at Heinz field plus as a purist I think we should only be wearing White or Orange with the black being an accent.  Peter Lukko agreed and he worked hard to get the black jerseys out the first time around (he told us this at a STH townhall) but now that he is gone, they are back.

I also agree that the product of the NHL in general is booooooring.  Basketball Buttman and the owners have neutered this sport so badly it's barely recognizable.  As Coatsey was saying during the latest broadcast the Flyers haven't had a fight all season and I agree with him that it is a sad sign of how far this game has fallen.  I try my best to enjoy the remnants of the game but that's even hard because there are so many distractions going on at once.  Watching grown bald men put chocolate sauce on their heads  during a commercial break while being egged on by the now ubiquitous "dancing guy" in a contest for Skullshaver is hardly my idea of fun.  You can barely hear yourself think in there too with all of the bad loud music they play constantly.  Don't get me wrong, good pump up tune is nice once in a while but I long for the days of the organ music that seemed to add to the mystique of the experience at one time.  I also miss the fact that Fans cannot hang or post any of their creative signs around the arena as it would cover up advertising which covers every inch of space in the place. 

Gritty is somewhat funny in his own way at times but it is also the latest sign that the team has jumped the shark in a lot of ways.  Speaking of Gritty, he has this now annoying habit of interfering with "Mites on Ice" during intermission.  For the uninitiated, Mites on Ice is when mite level players get their chance to play on the Flyers ice during intermission.  The problem with it is that it is very short, VERY EXPENSIVE (i.e. you are forced to buy a huge block of tickets and everyone ends up with tons more tickets than they can use essentially flushing a lot of $$$ down the pan), and you miss most of the Flyers game dropping your kid off and waiting to pick them up after the experience.  The kids do love it, but it's not all its cracked up to be.  Now it is worse as Gritty likes to come in and interfere with the game and while it is funny for the audience if my kid was playing this year I would be irate as a short time to play is shortened even more by his antics such as stealing the puck or screening the poor kid who is in goal and is trying hard not to get scored on in front of 17,000 people.

As I said, I still enjoy remnants of the game but there are times when I am sitting there saying, man they Flyers are really doing well on me as I am paying for a product more on the strength of how I remember it fondly rather than how it really is today.

2 hours ago, murraycraven said:

love them as well!

I am more lor le

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Definitely hard to read on TV. 

I actually like nothing about them, though. To me, they look like they're skating in their pajamas.  And not the good kind. 

Hey now.... when I compare anything to the gold letter jerseys anything is an improvement!

On 11/11/2018 at 8:11 AM, off_the_post said:

I've been hoping for something like this since they first introduced the black ones 18 years ago or so.  

Not exactly my vision, but close.  

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/11/12/18084094/philadelphia-flyers-dave-hakstol-ron-hextall-analysis

I think this i a link to the Brad Keffer article that parallels how I've been feeling about this team.

Not 100% but close enough on a few counts, especially feeling like the group is not maximizing the primes of what has been a decent core group of players.  I don't think i'm afraid of being wrong about the coach the way Brad is, but this does feel like lame duck city and there's a shiny winning guy available...I like wins, I like being engaged in the game too.  I know I'd rather see more attacking and less perimeter play. I would like to think going a man down doesn't mean a goal for the other team... there are too many things with this incarnation of the team that cause, dread or worse and the wins haven't felt satisfying...it's weird. 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:28 AM, ruxpin said:

This better not be a shot Taryn Hatcher.

25 minutes ago, vis said:

This better not be a shot Taryn Hatcher.

It is actually. I have nothing against her, but she provides nothing that you couldn't get on a silent film.  That's not be being sexist. I'm accusing the Flyers of that. 

40 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It is actually. I have nothing against her, but she provides nothing that you couldn't get on a silent film.  That's not be being sexist. I'm accusing the Flyers of that. 

I actually enjoy her. She’s miles better than Bundy in interviewing players. 

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well, she's infinitely nicer to look at than Therien.  I hear you about the lack of insight, but I feel that way about most of those types of folks.

14 minutes ago, brelic said:

I actually enjoy her. She’s miles better than Bundy in interviewing players. 

I actually don't agree. I mean, there's only so much you can do with the intermission interviews, and she does an okay job. I just have zero interest in the "in the stands" fluff. Go back to between the glasses or kill the position altogether. 

Archived