Confession...

off_the_post

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I actually don't agree. I mean, there's only so much you can do with the intermission interviews, and she does an okay job. I just have zero interest in the "in the stands" fluff. Go back to between the glasses or kill the position altogether. 

Or give her John Boruk's job. I have no doubt she'd be better at it. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I mean, there's only so much you can do with the intermission interviews, and she does an okay job. I just have zero interest in the "in the stands" fluff. Go back to between the glasses or kill the position altogether. 

Now, this I agree with.  I could do without the BS interviews and fluff stuff.  Not compelling at all.  I would much rather hear analysis, particularly from ice level where sometimes the guys in the booth don't catch everything.  I still don't understand why they got rid of Therien or the concept of an ice level analyst. I guess a lot of teams just don't do it any more.

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I actually don't agree. I mean, there's only so much you can do with the intermission interviews, and she does an okay job. I just have zero interest in the "in the stands" fluff. Go back to between the glasses or kill the position altogether. 

Haha oh if it were up to me, there would be a lot of changes to the NHL, including their game day production. I’ve had the pleasure of working for an NHL team as a live game day musician for 3 years, and let me tell you, I would not want to have the job of producer. It’s a nuthouse back there - I repeatedly took my headset off just to stay clear of the chaos.

But sadly, I am not in charge. 

Therien’s preambles were longer than the actual answer, so on that front alone, I’ll take Taryn.

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/11/12/18084094/philadelphia-flyers-dave-hakstol-ron-hextall-analysis

I think this i a link to the Brad Keffer article that parallels how I've been feeling about this team.

Not 100% but close enough on a few counts, especially feeling like the group is not maximizing the primes of what has been a decent core group of players.  I don't think i'm afraid of being wrong about the coach the way Brad is, but this does feel like lame duck city and there's a shiny winning guy available...I like wins, I like being engaged in the game too.  I know I'd rather see more attacking and less perimeter play. I would like to think going a man down doesn't mean a goal for the other team... there are too many things with this incarnation of the team that cause, dread or worse and the wins haven't felt satisfying...it's weird. 

This part is pretty bang on for me too: 

What it really boils down to is being fully convinced of the following:

1. Every game they win increases the amount of time that Hakstol will be coaching here.
  2. The longer Hakstol is coaching here, the further they are away from a deep playoff run.
  3. The further they are away from a deep playoff run, the further along you are into stars like Claude Giroux’s career, and while he may have beat the aging curve last season, it will catch up eventually. It catches up to everyone, and the Flyers top four scorers right now are 30, 29, 25, and 30 years old. Only one is still in their age-related prime.
  4. If this goes on for much longer, we’re looking at a one, maybe two year window with this team before they lack that true star power that Giroux, for example, gives them; unless Nolan Patrick or Travis Konecny can get there, but that’s far from a guarantee.

15 hours ago, elmatus said:

This part is pretty bang on for me too: 

What it really boils down to is being fully convinced of the following:

1. Every game they win increases the amount of time that Hakstol will be coaching here.
  2. The longer Hakstol is coaching here, the further they are away from a deep playoff run.
  3. The further they are away from a deep playoff run, the further along you are into stars like Claude Giroux’s career, and while he may have beat the aging curve last season, it will catch up eventually. It catches up to everyone, and the Flyers top four scorers right now are 30, 29, 25, and 30 years old. Only one is still in their age-related prime.
  4. If this goes on for much longer, we’re looking at a one, maybe two year window with this team before they lack that true star power that Giroux, for example, gives them; unless Nolan Patrick or Travis Konecny can get there, but that’s far from a guarantee.

I agree with everything but #2. That's an assumption that's really hard to prove. I feel that way, and a lot of fans do, but it's far from any sort of truism. It's a false conclusion.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

I agree with everything but #2. That's an assumption that's really hard to prove. I feel that way, and a lot of fans do, but it's far from any sort of truism. It's a false conclusion.

Probabilities are important. If you prefer, the chance of the Flyers going on a deep run with Hakstol behind the bench are very bad. That’s how I feel. 

The whole quoted piece is essentially an opinion piece. I happen to agree with him in this because i don’t think Hakstol is a capable NHL level coach. I agree that the longer he’s around, the less likely it is we won’t make a deep run. It’s a question of probabilities, but i agree with it. 

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Probabilities are important. If you prefer, the chance of the Flyers going on a deep run with Hakstol behind the bench are very bad. That’s how I feel. 

The whole quoted piece is essentially an opinion piece. I happen to agree with him in this because i don’t think Hakstol is a capable NHL level coach. I agree that the longer he’s around, the less likely it is we won’t make a deep run. It’s a question of probabilities, but i agree with it. 

I hear ya. I don't have a ton of faith in Hakstol being *the* guy to lead this team to a deep playoff run / Cup either. 

I guess my one caveat is that I trust that Hextall knows more than I do, and wants to win. That's the ultimate goal of running a hockey team. 

I said it before the season started that I feel the training wheels are off and Hakstol is now vulnerable to being replaced if he doesn't deliver. It would be a shame if Hextall waited too long to make that evaluation and lost out on a definite HOF coach who is available. 

Delighted that Flyers fans now have their own fashion thread.

Black is cool. Black is the new camouflage. Orange works in hockey.

The park team I played for growing up, we wore yellow. Worst color in the league. Central Park showed up in Blackhawk uniforms. We looked like skating bananas. Fast bananas too, if I must say.

When that team hit bantams, our park's color was orange, and we wore the orange Flyers sweater of the day, orange with white shoulders and sleeves. The only black was our city's name in block letters on the front and our numeral on the back. I wore 6. Still think it's a great hockey number. No name stitched on the back of these sweaters.

Nice job on the alternate jersey, Philly.   

Archived