Game 18: Panthers at Flyers, 11/13/18 @ 7

Howie58

I watched the 1st and 3rd periods and liked what I saw. I saw guys going to the net, I saw guys skating. I saw a fair amount of 10 bell chances for the Flyers that Bobby Lou either saved or got lucky on...

I thought the Flyers carried the play. To think this team wouldn't be competitive in a playoff series against that team is laughable. That game could have been a win with 1.5 inches of better shooting accuracy. 

The TV was on but I couldn't pay attention to it in the 2nd, but,I did see another power play goal against. The penalties felt back to back ? was it 4 minute high stick ?  it seemed long. 

Anyway once again the penalty killing is does the Flyers in. 

The shots that beat moose were good shots, the kid with the ****ed up name who shot the puck through the Folin screen made a sick move and put that right where he wanted, that was high skill level and would have beaten most guys. The powerplay goal was good puck movement. 

I know they lost but I like the way they played. 

something's got to be done about the power play it is killing this team.

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I watched the 1st and 3rd periods and liked what I saw. I saw guys going to the net, I saw guys skating. I saw a fair amount of 10 bell chances for the Flyers that Bobby Lou either saved or got lucky on...

I thought the Flyers carried the play. To think this team wouldn't be competitive in a playoff series against that team is laughable. That game could have been a win with 1.5 inches of better shooting accuracy. 

The TV was on but I couldn't pay attention to it in the 2nd, but,I did see another power play goal against. The penalties felt back to back ? was it 4 minute high stick ?  it seemed long. 

Anyway once again the penalty killing is does the Flyers in. 

The shots that beat moose were good shots, the kid with the ****ed up name who shot the puck through the Folin screen made a sick move and put that right where he wanted, that was high skill level and would have beaten most guys. The powerplay goal was good puck movement. 

I know they lost but I like the way they played. 

something's got to be done about the power play it is killing this team.

I thought the second half of the first and second they need more quality chances.  However, I do feel they played a decent game...  I am done talking about the PK with this team.  It is obvious that Hextall has something for Lappy.... there is no other reason he is still behind the bench at this point.   

Tough loss but there are takeaways that are positive.   

I thought they played a decent game overall. No team is going to control play for 60 minutes, and the Flyers had their fair share of scoring chances, including 5-6 grade A chances in the 3rd. It could have gone either way.

A few thoughts ...

- As has been a common theme this year, special teams were the difference. Teams were 1-1 at even strength, but the Flyers failed to score on their man-advantage, while Florida cashed in when they had the chance.

- I think one reason for the poor PP is the play of Ghost. His offensive instincts / game seem off so far this year. I can't quite put my finger on it, but he's making more mistakes and turnovers than usual, and also some puzzling decisions with the puck. He doesn't have that swagger and confidence that we've all seen and that make him such a threat.

- Speaking of which, Provorov might be having his 'sophomore' slump in his 3rd season for some reason. His offensive instincts need a lot of development at this level - for whatever reason, it seems like they've regressed from last year. He looks way too nonchalant when trying to make an offensive play, and it often ends up as a turnover. Again, he seems to be playing without the confidence and poise that we all know he has. If Ghost and Provorov find their games again, we will be a different team, no question.

- Lindblom was a beast last night. His entire line made something happen every time they were on the ice. Here's a crazy thought - Lindblom scored his goal off the rush with Coots and Voracek. Why not try those three as a line, and Giroux/Patrick/TK as another?

- In fact all 4 lines played well last night, as did 2/3 of our defense. Ghost and Provorov were the two that were off, and as I mentioned, when they get unstuck, this could be a different team.

- What to do with JVR when he returns, likely on Thursday? Do you stick him with Weal and Simmonds? Move Laughton to 4C or 4 LW? I know that's the most likely spot for a few games, but again, it seems like not the best place to maximize the value from your brand-new 36 goal scorer. Yet I would be hesitant to break up the top two lines (other than when I blatantly disregarded that a few bullet points above).

tl;dr - The Flyers played well, young guys are developing, and special teams were the difference. Oh, and Provorov and Ghost need to smarten up. 

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

- What to do with JVR when he returns, likely on Thursday? Do you stick him with Weal and Simmonds? Move Laughton to 4C or 4 LW? I know that's the most likely spot for a few games, but again, it seems like not the best place to maximize the value from your brand-new 36 goal scorer. Yet I would be hesitant to break up the top two lines (other than when I blatantly disregarded that a few bullet points above).

it will be interesting but I would put Laughton at 3C...  if there is a player this year that deserves a chance it is him.  He comes to play every shift and I have really enjoyed watching him play.   Hak shifted him to center last night as well so maybe that is what they are going with.  I would give Weal some butter and salt and have him serving popcorn in the Cote sweet.

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

it will be interesting but I would put Laughton at 3C...  if there is a player this year that deserves a chance it is him.  He comes to play every shift and I have really enjoyed watching him play.   Hak shifted him to center last night as well so maybe that is what they are going with.  I would give Weal some butter and salt and have him serving popcorn in the Cote sweet.

So you would scratch Weal over Lehtera? He's down around the 7 minute range for TOI. 

I like Weal - I think he has great offensive instincts, but as you said, he gets pushed off the puck way too easily. He loses more battles than he wins. 

Could also recall Vorobyev if NAK is sent back. 

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

So you would scratch Weal over Lehtera? He's down around the 7 minute range for TOI. 

I like Weal - I think he has great offensive instincts, but as you said, he gets pushed off the puck way too easily. He loses more battles than he wins. 

Could also recall Vorobyev if NAK is sent back. 

I assume NAK is already the one going back.  As a 4th liner, and I can't believe I am saying this, I would start Lehtera over Weal.  I haven't watched many Phantoms games this year so I am not sure how Vorobyev has been doing...   

After this game I think we need a creative east-west scoring line or threat.  We skate up and down...the troops charge in. But there is no lateral movement to catch a great goalie out of position.  I missed the third because the first two periods almost put me to sleep.  I took a walk and listened. That was better for my health and psyche. 

Archived