(poll) Where will Nylander play this year?

yave1964

Where will Wee Willie Nylander play this year?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Nylander play for this year?

• Toronto
    • Sweden
    • Nowhere
    • Another NHL team

When GM Kyle Dubas signed John Tavares in July he made it clear to the assembled press that he would be able to sign Nylander, Marner and Matthews.

Apparently Wee Willie didn't get the memo.

Well over a month into the season Image result for will nylanderthe standoff between Nylander and the Leafs continues. According to Elliott Friedman the Leafs have asked other teams for a list of possible players to begin discussions of a trade with. Kyle Dubas has denied it but at this point he would have to be a fool to at least not consider all options.

The question is: will Nylander suit up in Maple Leaf blue this season, play in Sweden, be traded or simply spend the winter simply staying at home not playing for anyone? He has to be signed and on the team by December first or he is ineligible to play in 2018-19. the date is getting closer and supposedly he turned down six years at forty million, the same contract that Pastrnak signed in Boston.

I personally think he will be dealt and I believe the Ducks for Fowler seem logical with of course other pieces in the deal seems to be the logical destination for both as the Getzlaf/Perry era is slowing.

26 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I personally think he will be dealt and I believe the Ducks for Fowler seem logical with of course other pieces in the deal seems to be the logical destination for both as the Getzlaf/Perry era is slowing.

I was thinking if he was dealt it would be to the Canes for Faulk or Hamilton.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I was thinking if he was dealt it would be to the Canes for Faulk or Hamilton.

Faulk has been rumored going everywhere for two years now. It makes sense though.

How about Trouba for Nylander?

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't really say on that one. 

Let's ask a guy who follows them.

What do you say @Podein25

Trouba for Nylander?

@yave1964

I follow Trouba, Nylander not so much. But just for sh!ts and giggles....

Straight up? Maybe. I don't think Trouba wants to be in Canada (certainly doesn't want to be in Winnipeg), but maybe Toronto would be ok since it's so close to home (Det). If I'm Chevy I'd be interested in that conversation for sure since, long term, Trouba will not be a Jet. Problem is, you still have to replace Trouba at RD and that's not easy. He and Morrisey are good together.

But fair value, straight up? Sure. I'd be interested in what Leafs' fans think about that though.

@OccamsRazor

Trouba has been less than happy at times in Manitoba and the Jets have the insanely gifted Morrissey now as well as a couple of very good kids down on the farm, they definitely need a 2C as little is more of a 3C at this point, I personally think he is a perfect fit there. I dont see it happening for a myriad of reasons but it makes a certain amount of sense.

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@OccamsRazor

Trouba has been less than happy at times in Manitoba and the Jets have the insanely gifted Morrissey now as well as a couple of very good kids down on the farm, they definitely need a 2C as little is more of a 3C at this point, I personally think he is a perfect fit there. I dont see it happening for a myriad of reasons but it makes a certain amount of sense.

Yeah, the Jets have tons of talent upfront but Little does look more and more like a 3C. Imagine Nylander with Laine and Ehlers?!

23 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Trouba is a FA this summer, I'll doubt Toronto trades Nylander while hoping Trouba signs with the Leafs before free agency.

I seen rumor last week the Wild could get involved and maybe offer Brodin or Dumba up for him but nothing more on it since.

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

Trouba is a FA this summer, I'll doubt Toronto trades Nylander while hoping Trouba signs with the Leafs before free agency.

Yeah, there would have to be a deal in place on Trouba. I don't see that as an insurmountable problem.

5 minutes ago, musky said:

islanders will trade leddy and a young guy for him.

I DONT SEE IT. Leddy is a serviceable decent middle pairing guy who has had to punch a bit over his weight class since the Isles defense has been meh since he got there, no way no how do I see Nylander dealt for that type, no knock on Leddy, every team needs guys like him but Nylander has massive upside. I am surprised that Lou hasn't come calling for him yet trying to pry him away as revenge for Tavares, maybe he plans on offer sheeting both Marner and Matthews when the time comes, lol. 

On 11/13/2018 at 4:40 PM, Podein25 said:

I'd be interested in what Leafs' fans think about that though.

Any guy who has a problem with playing hockey in Canada is not okay with me.  That's like a player not wanting to play baseball in America and demanding to play for Toronto.  Ridiculous. 

The past few games have shown that the Leafs don't need Nylander.  The Leafs are blessed with scoring talent up front. What they don't have is a defensive unit that can win a Stanley Cup. They're still routinely being out-shot. 39 and 45 shots against on their recent California swing (minus the blowout win vs LA of course). They won both games, but that kind of defence is not good enough and sooner or later (in the playoffs) teams like Toronto get exposed. It puts too much pressure on the goalie and the forwards. The forwards go into slumps, the goalie has a bad game or two, and the playoffs are over just like that. 

40 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Any guy who has a problem with playing hockey in Canada is not okay with me.  That's like a player not wanting to play baseball in America and demanding to play for Toronto.  Ridiculous. 

I've always had a special place on my sh|t list for guys who refuse to play for a Canadian team, but line up for their shot to put on the Team Canada jersey at international events. Yeah, yeah, taxes. Whatever. I don't care.

I think it'll be a blockbuster deal coming.  Toronto is going to move Nylander and someone else off the main roster in exchange for a #1 defenceman to pair with Rielly. When that happens, I think that move will put Toronto over the top in the East. 

When I say #1 I'm talking a proven all-star defenceman. Not a rookie. Not a filler guy. Not a depth guy. A legit Norris trophy type impact guy who will bring a Cup to Toronto.   ... Even if it happens to be a veteran defenceman who is on the back-9 of his career. 

I voted for "Sweden" because that's where I'd like to see him end up. I don't like this guy at all despite whatever 'talent' he has. He is a bona-fide prima donna. The type that causes all kinds of problems on a team due to his 'me first', selfish  attitude. He flies by, doesn't back check, cherry picks, takes all the credit for goals when someone else has in fact done all the work. I hope he holds out until Dec. 1st and finds that Dubas has traded him to Carolina or Phoenix where he can fade into the background at 6 million a year. Good riddance!

7 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think it'll be a blockbuster deal coming.  Toronto is going to move Nylander and someone else off the main roster in exchange for a #1 defenceman to pair with Rielly. When that happens, I think that move will put Toronto over the top in the East. 

When I say #1 I'm talking a proven all-star defenceman. Not a rookie. Not a filler guy. Not a depth guy. A legit Norris trophy type impact guy who will bring a Cup to Toronto.   ... Even if it happens to be a veteran defenceman who is on the back-9 of his career. 

I can't see that happening.

What team has two #1 Dmen that can move one of them?

None.

So what team would move their #1 for a 2nd line center and then create a huge hole on their top pair?

A GM wanting a new job.

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't see that happening.

What team has two #1 Dmen that can move one of them?

I say it at the best of times, but in these instances believe it to be even more true: if a trade happens, fans had best be prepared to be underwhelmed by the return.

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I say it at the best of times, but in these instances believe it to be even more true: if a trade happens, fans had best be prepared to be underwhelmed by the return.

Yeah they maybe be able to move him but the closer the deadline comes the less leverage they lose lose....so it maybe be their best bet to just hold onto him and then try again come draft time.

Or accept a lesser return.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah they maybe be able to move him but the closer the deadline comes the less leverage they lose lose....so it maybe be their best bet to just hold onto him and then try again come draft time.

Or accept a lesser return.

Not only that, but unless I'm wrong, if he's not signed by December 1, he won't be permitted to play in the NHL this season.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

Not only that, but unless I'm wrong, if he's not signed by December 1, he won't be permitted to play in the NHL this season.

That is correct, December first is barreling down on both sides and it is a matter of who, if either, blinks.

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

That was the deadline i was referring too sorry i didn't elaborate.

Archived