(poll) Where will Nylander play this year?

yave1964

Where will Wee Willie Nylander play this year?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Nylander play for this year?

• Toronto
    • Sweden
    • Nowhere
    • Another NHL team

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't see that happening.

1. What team has two #1 Dmen that can move one of them?

None.

2. So what team would move their #1 for a 2nd line center and then create a huge hole on their top pair?

A GM wanting a new job.

1. A team that is on the downward spiral and in need of a rebuild, who is looking to unload big contract veteran players who won't be around by the time the team is ready to contend again. The team in question will be a team with a 30-something year old #1 defenceman surrounded by crap players who isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  A young player like Nylander would fit perfectly into their rebuild.

2. You're also purchasing potential when you get Nylander. It's not just who he is, it's who he could become. He's a potential #1 center or #1 winger.  I don't think he has plateaued. He has major upside still. Toronto might be giving up on a 40-50 goal scorer. You never know.

:)

13 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I say it at the best of times, but in these instances believe it to be even more true: if a trade happens, fans had best be prepared to be underwhelmed by the return.

It's also important to note that you can trade up to a better player if you're willing to sacrifice on AGE.

A #1 defenceman for Nylander might not be a fair trade if they're both 25. But a #1 defenceman who is 30, 31, 32 let's say IS a fair trade for a young player with huge potential like Nylander.   

For teams that get Nylander: You're getting a guy who might score 40+ goals and be a line 1 guy. He's just entering his prime. If he stays where he is, then he's a good complementary piece (line 2 guy) and he's young, so you have him for a long time. 

Toronto should be looking to win now. That means if you can get a #1 defenceman who has won a Stanley Cup or a Norris trophy (or both), you grab that guy regardless of whether he's pushing 30 or entering his 30's.  The window to win is now. 

33 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The team in question will be a team with a 30-something year old #1 defenceman surrounded by crap players who isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  A young player like Nylander would fit perfectly into their rebuild.

Ok.

So what team fits the description?

I don't see one.

The only one I can see that comes close to that is the Canes.

With Hamilton and Faulk whom I really can't categorize either as #1s really but it is the best I can do.

Canes I think could use Nylander whom I don't think will ever be a #1 center in the NHL but can be a #2.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

that's how I feel about the Hextall firing.

My preference would have been for Hextall to stay but to adapt to the realities around him.

I'm okay if they bring in a Pat Gillick to his Ed Wade.  But it seems they're hell bent on bringing in Red Hot Ryder to his Gilligan's Island (the three-season three-hour tour but never get to where they want to go).

red-hot-ryder-bugs-bunny-7.5.jpg

three and a half hours to go on Nylander. Unbelievable it has stretched out for this long. I know Babs wants him back, Matthews loves playing with him on his line and they are a better team with him on it but c'mon, enough is enough.

If he doesn't sign and the Leafs lose in the first round I cannot think of a way that the city forgives him and he ever plays another game with the Leafs again.

14 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

three and a half hours to go on Nylander. Unbelievable it has stretched out for this long. I know Babs wants him back, Matthews loves playing with him on his line and they are a better team with him on it but c'mon, enough is enough.

If he doesn't sign and the Leafs lose in the first round I cannot think of a way that the city forgives him and he ever plays another game with the Leafs again.

………………… I will laugh my blonde head off and PURPOSELY tune into Hockey Central to watch the bobbleheads grumble about what could have been...………….. :biggrin:

I will say this...with the horror of having Holmgren temporarily running the show in Philly I tip my hat to Toronto management for NOT overpaying Nylander (so far) when they know they have more important players coming up for new contracts as early as next season.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I will say this...with the horror of having Holmgren temporarily running the show in Philly I tip my hat to Toronto management for NOT overpaying Nylander (so far) when they know they have more important players coming up for new contracts as early as next season.

Amen!

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I want Nylander to sign with the Leafs just to see them struggle with cap issues the next few years, but I also don’t want Nylander to sign just to see Leaf fans have a mental break down. :VeryCool:

Nylander. 6 years.   Money not announced yet.

Did you notice there was no one to greet him at the airport? For shame! Just some go-fer underling assistant to the assistant. 

I hear that due to the extremely high salary Nylander is getting, that Uber driver was all they could afford. They had to strap Willy's luggage to the roof of the Citroen.... 😄

Archived