Game 19: Devils at Flyers, 15/11/18 @ 7 EST

brelic

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I change my mind on Nylander...

...go get his ass, he will fit right in with this bunch of soft pu**y perimeter playing bunch of pansies!

The perimeter play is this coaching staff's design.  They abhor speed in any facet of the game and they avoid challenging the opponent. 

As an organisation, they have broadcast production doing idiotic fluff pieces from the stands about Gritty and some fan who found cotton candy while picking his butt.   

I'm so irritated with the whole damn thing, but I'm telling you it doesn't matter who they bring in here. This staff--possibly the organization--will neuter them like they have much of the lower bowl and what they're trying to do with the TV audience.  The cancer is coming from the top. 

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The perimeter play is this coaching staff's design.  They abhor speed in any facet of the game and they avoid challenging the opponent. 

As an organisation, they have broadcast production doing idiotic fluff pieces from the stands about Gritty and some fan who found cotton candy while picking his butt.   

I'm so irritated with the whole damn thing, but I'm telling you it doesn't matter who they bring in here. This staff--possibly the organization--will neuter them like they have much of the lower bowl and what they're trying to do with the TV audience.  The cancer is coming from the top. 

Honestly, I look at Hextall as the issue anymore.  It is great to build the pipeline but it is also a good move to put a team on the ice that is consistent and gives an effort for a full 60.   He grossly ignored the goalie situation again this year knowing fully that you can't count on Neuvy and an aging vet with a history of injuries - not to mention the coach who runs the aging vet into the ground.

Then you have 3C - this is a glaring blind spot that should have been addressed in the off season.   Misha looked good in camp which was promising but that did not work out so we are left with an AHL/NHL tweener in Weal.  I feel bad for JvR and Simmer having to play with him in the middle.  Speaking of Simmer.... there is no way in hell I am paying him anywhere near what he is going to want.  I hate to say it b/c I love the guy as a player but that money needs to go to someone that can contribute 5v5.

The PK --   from Ron's mouth to our ears he said they would address the PK at the end of last year.  He did nothing - again.

The Coaching Staff --  yes, the Flyers beat a bunch of mostly ****** teams on the west coast.  Just the type of trip Ron wanted to see so he did not have to make a bunch of hard decisions.   So now we are back home, can't score a goal, and ol' Ron will just give us more lip service and bs about the team needing to play better.  

This is what an average team is...  win some that you shouldn't and lose some that you should. A ****** PP and PK is not what makes for a decent playoff team.  

Don't get mad...  be like me and just become apathetic about this club.   wash, rinse, repeat....  this team is no closer today as it was last year or the year before looking at the product on the ice.  We can all continue to hope and pray that our pipeline turns out to be great.  In the interim, that is doing **** for the team on the ice right now.

I thought they played really well overall. Pushed the pace, got a TON of offensive pressure and high danger chances. Clogged up the neutral zone and mitigated turnovers by limiting to mostly low-danger chances. 

For 45 minutes, they dictated the pace. Five posts, a disallowed goal, and I'd say one stoppable goal were the difference. 

I felt they deserved a better fate, but they had their chances at ES and on the PP - they just weren't able to bury anything.

And now we're down two starters again. Pickard and Lyon, anyone?

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I thought they played really well overall. Pushed the pace, got a TON of offensive pressure and high danger chances. Clogged up the neutral zone and mitigated turnovers by limiting to mostly low-danger chances. 

For 45 minutes, they dictated the pace. Five posts, a disallowed goal, and I'd say one stoppable goal were the difference. 

I felt they deserved a better fate, but they had their chances at ES and on the PP - they just weren't able to bury anything.

kind of like the game against florida....  although, I dont think they played terribly you have to score.  there are no excuses at this point.   

@ruxpin

I see the same issues you do.

I haven't been able to articulate them as well as you did here

I don't like the Flyers approach to the "rush" up ice on the power play. It's clearly by design and i think it was designed by an idiot. 

Every time, a flyer brings the puck up ice, in the middle, with three flyers ahead of him and one behind.  The puck carrier stops and turns and passes back to the player behind while that player is expected to carry to the blueline while the others age waiting. As does the opposition. 

Presumably, the carrier can take it in (through multiple waiting defenders at this point, pass to a completely motionless Flyer, or dump it in - - so the motionless flyers can go get it under the premise that players starting from a complete stop will beat the defenders to the puck or provide any significant pressure on the defense that got to it first. 

This approach makes entry difficult and almost assures loss of possession (critical to a good power play). 

Am I wrong when I say I do not see other teams doing this on a regular basis like the Flyers do? 

It seems that this coaching staff abhors speed and will come up with any way possible to remove it from the Flyers game.  I do not understand this approach. Anyone? 

There seems to be only one "rusher" the guy with the puck and 4 "watchers" the guys waiting to stay on sides...it's dumb.

Is it execution? I don't think so,  those are talented smart players on both PP units. 

Like @brelic I thought the Flyers deserved a better fate, after the 3rd post though...they seemed to get a little deflated. The first goal by Anderson was terrible, I think there needs to be a trade for a goalie and some guys put on waivers and some coaches moved to different positions or fired outright. Moving Lindblom off Patrick's line for JvR  was ****** stupid. That line has not been a problem. 

We said it over the summer, 3C who can kill penalties.  Weal isn't that guy. 

Too much talent on this team for these results and incremental at best growth, I don't think I'm over valuing the talent either. 

grrr

35 minutes ago, brelic said:

Thought the first was good.  Second and what little of third I saw were OK.  Once again, I fell asleep during a Flyers game.  Either I'm old, or the Flyers are boring.  Ok, it's a bit of both but I think more the latter.  Just didn't really see much emotion from them last night after hitting those posts.  

The PP is atrocious.  They did absolutely nothing with the one they had at the beginning of the third.  Soon after, I fell asleep.

If I recall correctly, wasn't the PP kind of good before Knoblauch came along?  Wasn't his hiring to coach the PP kind of a surprise?  I kind of feel like Hextall said they thought the PP was looking stale, even though it had been pretty successful.  Am I imagining this?  'Cause if my memory is correct, this is more on Hextall than it is on Hakstol.  Along with the unfathomable failure to address the PK by firing the coach or by upgrading the personnel.

31 minutes ago, vis said:

Thought the first was good.  Second and what little of third I saw were OK.  Once again, I fell asleep during a Flyers game.  Either I'm old, or the Flyers are boring.  Ok, it's a bit of both but I think more the latter.  Just didn't really see much emotion from them last night after hitting those posts.  

Yeah they are pretty boring.  I catch myself playing on my phone at times in the middle of games while in attendance, something I used to rail about when other fans did it.

Since I couldn't make the game last night thanks to the inability / unwillingness / incompetence to spread salt and plow around the Philly suburbs, I watched with my 8 year old son who kept complaining about how boring the game was and that his mites games are much more exciting, to which I sadly agreed.

3 hours ago, vis said:

If I recall correctly, wasn't the PP kind of good before Knoblauch came along?  Wasn't his hiring to coach the PP kind of a surprise?  I kind of feel like Hextall said they thought the PP was looking stale, even though it had been pretty successful.  Am I imagining this?  'Cause if my memory is correct, this is more on Hextall than it is on Hakstol.  Along with the unfathomable failure to address the PK by firing the coach or by upgrading the personnel.

Nope, you're not imagining this...

https://thehockeywriters.com/what-does-kris-knoblauch-bring-philadelphia-flyers/

Just for reference as you read this, here's our PP over the last little bit...

Without Knoblauch

2014-2015 - 23.4% (3rd)

2015-2016 - 18.9% (11th)

2016-2017 - 19.5% (14th)

With Knoblauch

2017-2018 - 20.7% (15th)

2018-2019 - 12.7% (29th)

So while last year the % was better than the previous two, it ranked lower across the league. And this year is a joke.

Let's look at PK while we're at it.

Without Laperriere

2010-2011 - 82.7% (15th)

2011-2012 - 81.8% (17th)

2012-2013 - 85.9% (5th)

With Laperriere

2013-2014 - 84.8% (7th)

2014-2015 - 77.1% (27th)

2015-2016 - 80.5% (20th)

2016-2017 - 79.8% (21st)

2017-2018 - 75.8% (29th)

2018-2019 - 71.2% (30th)

In both cases, you can see that the first year with the new guy was ok, mostly following the previous year. My guess is that's the carry-over effect. It happens with head coaching changes too. But once you are a few seasons in, it's really the 'new' guy's results. 

Bringing in a coach who has worked alongside young players in the CHL is a huge benefit, especially with Knoblauch’s track record and because the Flyers are becoming a very young team. The oldest player on the roster is Valtteri Filppula at 33 years of age. Many former Otters players have given credit to Knoblauch’s for their development. Agent Jeff Jackson stated: “He teaches a culture of winning and speed and puck movement,” and he’s “been glad to send players like Connor McDavid, Travis Dermott, Taylor and Darren Raddysh and Alex DeBrincat to Erie.”

Knoblauch’s mindset is perfect for the Flyers. He installed an offensive system in Erie based on speed and skill which helped bring out the best in players.

The new assistant coach will try to bring some movement to the Flyers’ power play, which has been on the decline. In the last five seasons, the Flyers have maintained a very good power play, but teams are starting to figure out the system. Giroux is the go-to guy on the man advantage and will normally look for the one-timer or the cross-ice pass. Once teams start moving around and limit the passing lanes, the Flyers tend to scramble. However, once they have control, they can really dominate and get good chances.

An area they need to improve in is zone entries. The Flyers often fail to enter the zone on the power play resulting in shorthanded goals against (they allowed nine last year) and a loss of momentum. This is where assistant coach Knoblauch’s expertise will come into play, hopefully getting a little more movement out of the first unit.

The second power play group is rather embarrassing and Flyers fans are hoping for a big change. Will Konecny be the Giroux of the second unit? A lot of questions arise when talking about the second unit and hopefully, Knoblauch will be able the answer them.

The Flyers seem to be making the right moves and Ron Hextall is confident in his group. They should be a consistent playoff team in the next couple of years.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

With Laperriere

2013-2014 - 84.8% (7th)

2014-2015 - 77.1% (27th)

2015-2016 - 80.5% (20th)

2016-2017 - 79.8% (21st)

2017-2018 - 75.8% (29th)

2018-2019 - 71.2% (30th)

Well call this the having Kimmo and Coburn effect. So when he lost those two.....guess what???

4 hours ago, brelic said:

Nope, you're not imagining this...

https://thehockeywriters.com/what-does-kris-knoblauch-bring-philadelphia-flyers/

Just for reference as you read this, here's our PP over the last little bit...

Without Knoblauch

2014-2015 - 23.4% (3rd)

2015-2016 - 18.9% (11th)

2016-2017 - 19.5% (14th)

With Knoblauch

2017-2018 - 20.7% (15th)

2018-2019 - 12.7% (29th)

So while last year the % was better than the previous two, it ranked lower across the league. And this year is a joke.

Let's look at PK while we're at it.

Without Laperriere

2010-2011 - 82.7% (15th)

2011-2012 - 81.8% (17th)

2012-2013 - 85.9% (5th)

With Laperriere

2013-2014 - 84.8% (7th)

2014-2015 - 77.1% (27th)

2015-2016 - 80.5% (20th)

2016-2017 - 79.8% (21st)

2017-2018 - 75.8% (29th)

2018-2019 - 71.2% (30th)

In both cases, you can see that the first year with the new guy was ok, mostly following the previous year. My guess is that's the carry-over effect. It happens with head coaching changes too. But once you are a few seasons in, it's really the 'new' guy's results. 

I don't just see a Knoblauch or Lappy difference. I see a Hakstol difference. 

And a Hextall difference.  Because the asinine approach i described on the power play (I really think the utter stupidity of that is being greatly under-appreciated on this thread, by the way) is also present at regular strength. That is NOT an NHL level approach. It has zero hope of success. Zero. I don't give a crap if it's the 1985 Oilers doing it. It has no hope of working. It's so counter-productive it's infuriating. 

And it's absolutely by design. I swear to God if Knobjob and Dickstal were building a house they'd start with the damn roof. 

And I'm sorry, but I didn't see the game others are describing, except for the boring part.  They did have some chances but they hit posts because they weren't as wide as usual. 

There will be some games and some stretches of games where the talent on this team overcomes the sheer incompetence of this coaching staff, but it won't ultimately be enough to do anything of any significance. 

Get rid of this Podunk staff and get rid of the GM if that's what it takes to do it. As a GM, you cannot with a straight face look at this clown car of a staff and think status quo is the solution. But that's exactly what delusional Ron did this summer. 

And the game and the broadcast are worse than boring. Even the broadcast is nauseating. Fire that staff and the meatheads that came up with Gritty while you're at it. 

I'm to the place where I'm not sure if I need to come up with a different team or a different league. It's entirely unenjoyable. 

49 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't just see a Knoblauch or Lappy difference. I see a Hakstol difference. 

And a Hextall difference.  Because the asinine approach i described on the power play (I really think the utter stupidity of that is being greatly under-appreciated on this thread, by the way) is also present at regular strength. That is NOT an NHL level approach. It has zero hope of success. Zero. I don't give a crap if it's the 1985 Oilers doing it. It has no hope of working. It's so counter-productive it's infuriating. 

And it's absolutely by design. I swear to God if Knobjob and Dickstal were building a house they'd start with the damn roof. 

And I'm sorry, but I didn't see the game others are describing, except for the boring part.  They did have some chances but they hit posts because they weren't as wide as usual. 

There will be some games and some stretches of games where the talent on this team overcomes the sheer incompetence of this coaching staff, but it won't ultimately be enough to do anything of any significance. 

Get rid of this Podunk staff and get rid of the GM if that's what it takes to do it. As a GM, you cannot with a straight face look at this clown car of a staff and think status quo is the solution. But that's exactly what delusional Ron did this summer. 

And the game and the broadcast are worse than boring. Even the broadcast is nauseating. Fire that staff and the meatheads that came up with Gritty while you're at it. 

I'm to the place where I'm not sure if I need to come up with a different team or a different league. It's entirely unenjoyable. 

Damn, rux. You’ve hit rock bottom with the entire organization, haven’t you?

I can definitely understand. 

I’m not there yet lol. I actually enjoyed the game last night more than I have in a while, so there’s that. On nights when it’s not enjoyable I just do something else.

Someday, they’ll tip the balance toward mostly enjoyable, then eventually full on chub. They’ve gotta, right?? Lol.

Until then, keep calm and rux on :)

19 minutes ago, brelic said:

Damn, rux. You’ve hit rock bottom with the entire organization, haven’t you?

You know, it's occurring to me that I really have.

I mean, I'm really positive about the farm system and have hope.  But not that much hope I'll still be watching by then.

I'm down on the whole product.  A lot of the non-hockey stuff has to be Comcast-generated.   It's probably the same people that gutted the Phillies broadcasts.

I cannot stand Taryn's role. Simply can't stand it.  It's not her I can't stand, it's the role.  Every time she's on the screen I know it's going to be some mindless tripe fluff crap they do with the Olympics that I cannot stand.   Show the damn game.  Share some insight for god's sake.  I know why they don't.  Any legitimate insight has to start with "this team blows."   Last night, the two times I noticed her she was reporting on Gritty playing in the snow.   WHO CARES?!?!  Why is this a thing?  I mean really, WHO CARES?!   Your team sucks.  Enough of the eye candy and the stupid puppets and fix the GD power play, the PK, the 3C, the idiotic coaching staff.   STFU about the stupid mascot.

I'm absolutely positive Ed Snider is turning in his million dollar grave.   They've turned his franchise into a s### show.

It's a horrible product designed by entirely inept people wrapped in used toilet paper.   

Yeah, I know, take a sedative.  Sound advice, but this really is nauseating at this point.  They know it's bad so let's bring in a bunch of distractions because the idiot "casual fans" will say "ooh, shiny!" and keep mindlessly hitting the feeder bar.   Tell the casual fans to go away.  It's the whole fricken sport at this point.  You can't hit, you can't fight, you can't skate near enough to the goalie 3 feet out of the crease that a shadow crosses his brow.  It's ridiculous.    

It's really become quite an unenjoyable way to spend a few hours.   I may switch to watching infomercials about braille paint by number sets.  

11 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Don't get mad...  be like me and just become apathetic about this club.

It's actually good advice (and a very good post).  I'm actually oddly both at this point, if that's possible.  I vary between bored to tears and highly irritated.  I don't know if it's the abject stupidity of the staff and front office or their attempt to sell the stupid people snake oil.

Aside from the stuff I've already whined about, you watch the home broadcasts and look at the lower bowl while the game is going on.  I don't know whether I'm watching people watch a sporting event or watching people watch the 700 Club in Portuguese.  I know the fans aren't going to have much emotion while the team is  doing Lamaze, but maybe one of the reasons they play better on the road is because other fans have some energy and the Flyers feed off it.  Nah, it's that even a blind squirrel...

But that's where this organization is at.  There is more energy at an Amway convention, and those people are ridiculous (sorry to anyone here, but I stand behind that).  

So definitely apathetic...and that's on a good day.

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It's actually good advice (and a very good post).  I'm actually oddly both at this point, if that's possible.  I vary between bored to tears and highly irritated.  I don't know if it's the abject stupidity of the staff and front office or their attempt to sell the stupid people snake oil.

Aside from the stuff I've already whined about, you watch the home broadcasts and look at the lower bowl while the game is going on.  I don't know whether I'm watching people watch a sporting event or watching people watch the 700 Club in Portuguese.  I know the fans aren't going to have much emotion while the team is  doing Lamaze, but maybe one of the reasons they play better on the road is because other fans have some energy and the Flyers feed off it.  Nah, it's that even a blind squirrel...

But that's where this organization is at.  There is more energy at an Amway convention, and those people are ridiculous (sorry to anyone here, but I stand behind that).  

But, but, but...

GRITTY!

On 11/16/2018 at 10:25 PM, ruxpin said:

You know, it's occurring to me that I really have.

I mean, I'm really positive about the farm system and have hope.  But not that much hope I'll still be watching by then.

I'm down on the whole product.  A lot of the non-hockey stuff has to be Comcast-generated.   It's probably the same people that gutted the Phillies broadcasts.

I cannot stand Taryn's role. Simply can't stand it.  It's not her I can't stand, it's the role.  Every time she's on the screen I know it's going to be some mindless tripe fluff crap they do with the Olympics that I cannot stand.   Show the damn game.  Share some insight for god's sake.  I know why they don't.  Any legitimate insight has to start with "this team blows."   Last night, the two times I noticed her she was reporting on Gritty playing in the snow.   WHO CARES?!?!  Why is this a thing?  I mean really, WHO CARES?!   Your team sucks.  Enough of the eye candy and the stupid puppets and fix the GD power play, the PK, the 3C, the idiotic coaching staff.   STFU about the stupid mascot.

I'm absolutely positive Ed Snider is turning in his million dollar grave.   They've turned his franchise into a s### show.

It's a horrible product designed by entirely inept people wrapped in used toilet paper.   

Yeah, I know, take a sedative.  Sound advice, but this really is nauseating at this point.  They know it's bad so let's bring in a bunch of distractions because the idiot "casual fans" will say "ooh, shiny!" and keep mindlessly hitting the feeder bar.   Tell the casual fans to go away.  It's the whole fricken sport at this point.  You can't hit, you can't fight, you can't skate near enough to the goalie 3 feet out of the crease that a shadow crosses his brow.  It's ridiculous.    

It's really become quite an unenjoyable way to spend a few hours.   I may switch to watching infomercials about braille paint by number sets.  

I hear ya. I only watch the Flyers - no other teams, no other sports. Life is too short and too precious to waste it watching other people do things, so when the Flyers are not 'entertaining' I do something else. Sounds like you do too.

And that's the best thing you can do for yourself, rux. 

On 11/16/2018 at 9:48 PM, ruxpin said:

I believe this to be true -- the WFC is no longer a tough place to play.  The Spectrum was special b/c you felt like you were on top of the players.  Now it is just corporate business that eventually becomes tough to play when things are going well.   The place seems half emtpy most games I watch....

8 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I believe this to be true -- the WFC is no longer a tough place to play.  The Spectrum was special b/c you felt like you were on top of the players.  Now it is just corporate business that eventually becomes tough to play when things are going well.   The place seems half emtpy most games I watch....

All the new rinks are basically the same and suffer from the same problem. The MTS Centre may be an exception: because it's small (<16,000 capacity) it' steeper than most and players say it feels like the fans are right over top of them. I'm not sure this was planned, but it seems to help create an atmosphere.

Plus, there's this 6'5"  260 dude called Buff which helps

Archived