Lightning G Vasilevskiy fractures foot

Brewin Flames

Lightning G Vasilevskiy fractures foot

TSN.ca Staff

Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy fractured his foot and will be out for a while.

Tough break for the Lightning. No pun intended. Sounds like Andrei Vasilevsky fractured his left foot and will be out for awhile.

In 13 games for the Lightning this season, Vasilevskiy has a 9-3-1 record with a .927 save percentage, 2.30 goals against average, and one shutout.

Backup Louis Domingue has started five games for the Lightning this season, compiling a 3-2 record with an .887 save percentage and 3.43 goals against average.

More details to follow.

Yes, really, REALLY bad....
Unless Louis Domingue can pull a rabbit out of his hat, play out of his mind, and way above his head....

Looks like the call up from the Bolts' AHL affiliate Syracuse will be Edward Pasquale... a 27 yr old career AHL'er.
While he has put up decent numbers in the minors, his only sniff at the NHL was as an emergency backup for the Winnipeg Jets a few seasons back.

Obviously, the Bolts are going to lean on Louis Domingue as much as possible, even though his outings have been uneven...but at least he has much more NHL experience, and he has, in the past, both in TB and with the Coyotes, played some good games, even if the team in front of him has not.

Looks like a case where if the Bolts are smart, they will just go more 'offense' in their game plans (they have the horses to do it), even if it means giving up chances against.
Just gonna have to let Domingue fend more for himself, as TB simply cannot afford to play conservative with him back there.

TB is gonna have to win games 5-4, 6-4, or even 7-6 type games would be my estimation.
Not the way Coach Jon Cooper would like to see his team play, but really, if they start worrying too much about defense, sacrifice their potentially powerful offense, and Louis Domingue lets in an untimely goal here and there, they will find themselves on the short end of way too many low scoring or OT LOSSES....

At the very least, if the TB can tread water and at least play to the tune of .500 till Vasy gets back, that might be enough to keep them at least within striking distance to the top of the standings.

I don't mind telling you, this really worries me.
When they had Ben Bishop before and he went down with an injury, the Bolts always had Vasy, or at least one or two minor league guys who can fill in..... now with the big contract signings to their forwards and defensemen, and Vasy being the number one, seems the goalie crop isn't as good, or at least unproven.

And it starts tonight against Pittsburgh...

2 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26 Domingue and never-heard-of-Pasquale... I get a feeling Tampa would be better off if they'd acquire themselves another goalie? Montoya from the Oilers?

I wonder if Brisebois would go all in for this season and do something along the lines of Tyler Johnson and a 2nd for Bobrovsky, even though Bob is a UFA at the end of the season. Bobrovsky wants out of Columbus by several accounts, and this would be his ticket - and he'll be going to a Cup contender. @ Hockey-78 Montoya is solid, BUT the most he's ever played in an NHL season is 31 games. I don't think he's a viable option for the Lightning at this point, unless you're simply going to platoon he and Domingue.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

I wonder if Brisebois would go all in for this season and do something along the lines of Tyler Johnson and a 2nd for Bobrovsky, even though Bob is a UFA at the end of the season. Bobrovsky wants out of Columbus by several accounts, and this would be his ticket - and he'll be going to a Cup contender. @ Hockey-78 Montoya is solid, BUT the most he's ever played in an NHL season is 31 games. I don't think he's a viable option for the Lightning at this point, unless you're simply going to platoon he and Domingue.

They haven't offered any time table yet but a foot fracture can heal by itself in 1-2 months? I was thinking they'd go after a cheap interim goalie; easy to get, easy to get rid of. Would they have the cap for a big name, like Bob? Besides, Columbus are still very much in it. Who they have besides Korpisalo? They'd be risking their season if not throwing it away, Tampa obviously can't provide them another quality goalie. Maybe a three-way deal in the works?

But yeah, you might be right; say 2 months, maybe a bit too long a period to ride with two backup goalies especially for a Cup contender team.

9 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

That is interesting about Bobrovsky...however, Tyler Johnson has a NTC, and I can't see him waiving that to leave the Bolts, a Cup hopeful, to Columbus, who may or may not make the playoffs, is not exactly an offensive oriented team (at least, Torts doesn't usually play that way), AND even if the Jackets make it, will they be one n done yet again....

Thing is, Ryan Callahan has a modified NTC...and he was brought up under Tortorella with the Rangers.
Right now, Cally is playing strictly 4th line duties with almost no PP time.
I wonder if he would accept a trade to Columbus, reunite with Torts and possibly get some top six minutes and PP time over there?

So maybe something like..
Callahan, a 1st round pick, and maybe an upper AHL prospect (NOT Taylor Raddysh!) for...
Bobrovsky, an NHL 4th liner of theirs to replace Cally's spot, and maybe Columbus' 3rd or 4th round pick.

8 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26 ...which would still leave Columbus their own goalie dilemma I described. Your story sounded good though! Could you add a paragraph in which you offer a solution for Kekalainen how to acquire a replacement for Bob and who would that be?

Well, good point about Columbus.
I don't know much about what the Jackets have in their system, but if Bob really wants out badly, I am guessing the Jackets need to make some sort of move anyways so they don't lose him for nothing at season's end.

Without Bob, the Jackets can go with a platoon of Korpisalo and Berube, though admittedly, that would be an UGLY tandem to have backstopping the Jackets who may not be Cup hopefuls, but certainly have a shot at the playoffs at least.

Also, maybe Columbus can be persuaded to take Louis Domingue himself in the deal with Callahan.
Domingue might actually fare better in a more closed defensive structure like the Jackets have versus the more wide open offensive style of the Lightning.

They then could go Domingue / Korpisalo, then worry about trying to get another starter in the off season.

The Jackets have had to go without Bob for stretches over the years due to his propensity to need IR time, so maybe trading him would be like one of those situations:  They just do without him.

That DOES circle back to the Bolts if they were to acquire Bob....will he STAY healthy with them? Will he break down at a critical time for them....and if Domingue was sent to the Jackets, that then would leave the Bolts with Pasquale (!) and...…...the equipment manager or a retired goalie who is now running a merchandise boutique as their backstoppers! :bigteeth:

Tell you what...glad I am just a speculating fan and NOT the Lightning GM right now..... some tough decisions to make on a team that is favored to win....

I cannot imagine they do anything like Bobrovsky or Price and I definitely don't see trading major pieces to do it as going all in. 

They'll trade for someone as a stop gap. Vasy will likely be back by Christmas or New Year. No sense creating some weird goalie situation when he returns AND blow a hole in your lineup. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

I cannot imagine they do anything like Bobrovsky or Price and I definitely don't see trading major pieces to do it as going all in. 

They'll trade for someone as a stop gap. Vasy will likely be back by Christmas or New Year. No sense creating some weird goalie situation when he returns AND blow a hole in your lineup. 

You're HIRED as the new TB GM!! :ahappy:

Just now, ruxpin said:

The problem with my post is I don't think they have a hell of a lot of options. I wonder what New Jersey would want for Kinkaid or what Pittsburgh would want for Jarry. 

Which is why I said I'd rather be the speculating fan than the hotseat GM right now..

I mean, for %$#@'s sake, there seems to always be something in the way of a Bolts Cup run!
Granted, in recent seasons, the Bolts have usually been beaten by the eventual Cup winners (Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington), but this year it looked like it was THEIRS to lose...and now this.

Tellin ya.... Bolts should sell out on offense and just act like all 4 lines are top six lines.....play about .500 win or lose games 15-12.... lol.

If I am jibber jabbing, its because I am nervous for my team.
Can't believe we are actually THAT thin in goal!

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Which is why I said I'd rather be the speculating fan than the hotseat GM right now..

I mean, for %$#@'s sake, there seems to always be something in the way of a Bolts Cup run!
Granted, in recent seasons, the Bolts have usually been beaten by the eventual Cup winners (Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington), but this year it looked like it was THEIRS to lose...and now this.

Tellin ya.... Bolts should sell out on offense and just act like all 4 lines are top six lines.....play about .500 win or lose games 15-12.... lol.

If I am jibber jabbing, its because I am nervous for my team.
Can't believe we are actually THAT thin in goal!

As a Bolts fan, if it's going to happen I'd rather now than March or April. This doesn't derail them. It just slows them a little. It's not like they're going to fall out of a playoff spot. 

And if it causes them to get a quality backup that can help rest Vasy down the stretch without giving up a ton of points, then it's win win. 

Was just listening to the TB pre-game show, from the sounds of it, the Lightning will give Louis Domingue his chance to at least hold the fort.

Right now, no plans to make major moves....it will be Domingue taking the lion's share of the starts... Pasquale will ride the pine...mostly.

Archived