Ryans Hope (less)

yave1964

A trade of two Ryan's....

Edmonton and the Rangers got together, saw the trade of two players between the Kings/Penguins of two players having futile seasons and said hold my beer, we can do this too.

Ryan Spooner who came to New York as partial payment for Rick Nash last season has been gawd awful for the Rags this year, 16 games, 1 goal and a minus five was dealt to Edmonton for their own disappointing Ryan, this one last name of Strome who came over from the Island as payment for Eberle last season. Strome has played 18 games with 1 goal. Both were expected to provide much needed secondary middle six scoring.

I have never been a fan of Spooner, he just strikes me as a bit of a floater but Strome I watched quite a lot in New York and really thought the Islanders got the better end of the deal but he has been a MASSIVE disappointment in the same way as biting into an apple and finding half a worm feels. His skating has always been a problem but his puck handling and shooting have regressed to the point where there is  nowhere to play him.

I was going to put a poll up asking who won the deal but this may be the proverbial deal that hurts both sides......

BTW the Isles absolutely bombed with two top five picks, Strome and a defenseman named Griffin Reinhart who is barely an AHL player, Strome went number five in their draft class, Reinhart number four, but they more than made up for it with their deals with Edmonton sending Strome for Eberle who is not as good as he was supposed to be but is still a very serviceable middle six winger, and Reinhart was traded for a pair of draft picks, one of which turned into Matthew Barzal. 

So Strome and Reinhart for Eberle and Barzal. Wonder if Edmonton could use those two guys on their second line right now.....

@yave1964

* Random point-form thoughts...

-Spooner has a better history offense in his time in the NHL, and definitely better wheels. The Oilers lose a better PKer. I don't know how it will work out, but Spooner has shown an ability to play with skill for more at bats than Strome has in his career so far.

-I think that the Oilers see Cooper Marody as being ready to play Strome's minutes at 3C.

-The Eberle deal is what happens when you make trades while you're angry. This is something which Jack Adams famously did as well: cutting off his nose to spite his own face. Eberle ducked a hit against the Ducks in the 2017 playoffs, which led to a huge GA and kickstarted Anaheim's comeback against Edmonton, eventually taking the series. When Peter Chiarelli was on the job for one week with the Oilers, he saw Martin Marincin do something similar in an AHL playoff game. He ordered the coach to bench Marincin, and then traded him at the first moment he could. The moment the play with Eberle happened, I said in the chatbox:

" I wouldn't be shocked if Eberle is available, and also fetches much less than people around Edmonton think he can get. "

I usually make the point that I'm not Carnak the Magnificent, but I saw this as being a distinct possibility, and that's how it ended up working out. I think from that moment on, Jordan Eberle was dead to key men in Oilers management. In that room are guys like Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish and Mark Messier, and people can say whatever they like about them, but you wouldn't be able to find a clip of them doing something like that when they played.

Eberle was traded in the name of cap space, but I think the primary reason is what happened in that series against the Ducks. He definitely did wilt in the playoff when things became physical, and he went 0-2-2 in 13 games, getting more points than only Cam Talbot.

They cut their nose off to spit their own face.

@JR Ewing

Actually in his best year Strome's career high is higher than Spooners but Strome has REALLY regressed since 2014-15 when he scored 50 points. I simply dont understand it, I seriously though he was going to be a player, he broke in and was hard nosed and looked like a perfect middle six forward who could play wing or center. I am not saying he cannot, but he is running out of time if it is going to happen.

I watched a fair amount of Spooner, Cassidy didn't care for his effort in Boston, he specifically called him out for that, hence my comment about him being a floater. Boston expects, demands actually two way 200 foot play from their forwards and he didn't fit. He was a healthy scratch quite a lot last year but found new life late in the year after the trade only to findhimself running afoul of the new coach with the Rags. Like Strome he is running out of time to prove he belongs. 

I agree, overall he has more offense than Strome but not as much defense. He did spark with a trade last year, maybe the same will happen this year.

@yave1964 I think we basically agree on this. Strome spent a season lined up next to John Tavares and had a 50 point season for it, and has never approached it since, and Spooner has been in that range a bit more. This is a classic "I'll trade you my disappointment if you trade me yours" situation if I've ever seen it. It probably doesn't move the needle very much for either team, but who knows what will happen?

From my seat, it seemed like Spooner's problems in Boston were

-The point you made regarding the way he plays hockey, and

-Better options pushed him down the batting order.

Spooner played with Hayes and Kreider the most this year, and simply didn't get it done. Strome played mostly with Milan Lucic and Drake Caggiula, and I don't know too many people who *could* get some points dragging that big corpse around the ice.

12 hours ago, yave1964 said:

BTW the Isles absolutely bombed with two top five picks, Strome and a defenseman named Griffin Reinhart who is barely an AHL player, Strome went number five in their draft class, Reinhart number four, but they more than made up for it with their deals with Edmonton sending Strome for Eberle who is not as good as he was supposed to be but is still a very serviceable middle six winger, and Reinhart was traded for a pair of draft picks, one of which turned into Matthew Barzal. 

So Strome and Reinhart for Eberle and Barzal. Wonder if Edmonton could use those two guys on their second line right now.....

I had meant to address this the first time I responded to you.

I remain convinced that the Reinhart deal was more Kevin Lowe/Bob Green than it was Peter Chiarelli, as he was only a week on the job, and the Oilers brass had been stiff in the pants for Reinhart ever since he was an Oil King. Nevertheless, as GM, it falls on him. Trying him as a reclamation project isn't a terrible deal, but you don't spend a #16 pick on that. Never. Ever. Those guys are available for free on waivers. They didn't take that approach, because Oilers.

All of the above is the great example of the classic question, "What is a GM's best trade?" Quite often, it's the one you didn't make, and the Oilers have been chasing this bad deal ever since.

• 2 months later...

@yave1964

Two months later... I wish I was wrong, but I'll stand by my Patrick O'Sullivan comp. Spooner was waived today, and I doubt there will be any takers on his $3.5M salary. In the chatbox, I likened Peter Chiarelli to being like the guy who started out with a paperclip and traded away until he had a house, but in reverse.

They could have put a rock in the GM chair, had an assistant sign off on some paperwork, and the team would have been better off.

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

@yave1964

Two months later... I wish I was wrong, but I'll stand by my Patrick O'Sullivan comp. Spooner was waived today, and I doubt there will be any takers on his $35M salary. In the chatbox, I likened Peter Chiarelli to being like the guy who started out with a paperclip and traded away until he had a house, but in reverse.

They could have put a rock in the GM chair, had an assistant sign off on some paperwork, and the team would have been better off.

Sad.

This year alone Chiarelli has brought in off the scrap heap: Tobias Reider, Alex Chiasson, Ryan Spooner, Brodziak, Chris Wideman, Kevin Gravel, Brandon Manning, Alexander Petrovic, Jason Garrison, Colby Cave and Valintin Zykov. Of the above Chiasson has been a surprisingly nice add, the jury is out on Petrovic and the rest are pure hot garbage as anyone over the age of four could have predicted. Zykov and Spooner are memories, Garrision and several others soon to follow out the door to be replaced by whoever hits waivers from another team.

Chiarelli is reminding me of my fantasy team, always hitting waivers looking for the next newest shiniest toy. Probably not a way to run a fantasy team, certainly not a way to run a real team, lol. 

Speaking of fantasy, go into All Star and accept my trade offer would ya? lol

@JR Ewing

Saw Rattie was waived as well. Typical Oilers.

Rattie and Zykov are what you have going on right now, neither has done a thing to make one believe for a minute that they are NHL players, obvious flaws, glaringly so, in spite of them the Oilers vanity convinces them that a) they are indeed NHL players in spite of a mountain of evidence to the contrary and b) that they are top line forwards just waiting for a chance. I get it, the forward group is glaringly thin and the cap is tight but c'mon, how can any waste another year of Mcdavid/Draisatl with unrealist expectations from the foreign legion rejects that they are forcing them to play with.

Archived