NHL network, all this news and they interview Ennis

yave1964

I am at the point where I dont even know why the Hell I even watch/listen to Hockey Central at noon anymore. It used to be okay,but since the Leafs have become relevant it is all Toronto, all the time. I am just tired of it.

The two old fools, Doug MClean and Brian Burke all they want to talk about is Nonis and Nylander and contracts, never mind what is happening on the ice. Guys, you sucked as GMs let someone else have a turn. And they are obsessed with Garret Sparks talk.  Colby Armstrong always looks like his suit is made of wool or even steel wool the way he squirms and he has a weird smile, he gushes about the Leafs bottom six and which defender is sitting and why. Kypreos? I think if you asked him to name another team besides the Leafs would have to phone a friend. Jeff Marek will occasionally bring a good point about another team but it gets buried by his friends he is on the air with and they circle back to the Leafs.

Now they led today with the firing of McClellan and hiring of Hitch awful big of them, but the entire first ten minutes they kept saying they had Ennis on hold and had to get to him, which they did as quickly as possible. He scored a pretty goal making David Savard look silly and Dubinsky look old and Torts looked like he was ready for an aneurism so I will give you that, but there were lots of pretty goals.

No mention of Cal Peterson getting a shutout and looking like he may settle the revolving door in net for the Kings.

Third segment before mentioning Hoffman returning to Ottawa and scoring a goal.

Zero mention of Ben Bishop going down.

No mention of Laine getting a hatty against Vancouver.

No mention of Trocheck going down.  None.

Barely touching in passing on the firing of Yeo.

Yesterday they interviewed the Jackets GM for ten minutes or so, they asked a question or two about the Jackets contract situation with bob and Panarin but then they pivoted, asking what he thinks is the hardest part of playing a team like the Leafs, what he thinks of the start of Morgan Reilly, ect...

Showed a cool video of Dermott getting to the bench on one leg after getting nicked up tho. Leafs, Leafs, Leafs. I get it that it is filmed in Toronto but come on, there are thirty other teams and it is almost impossible to watch or listen to while I am on the bike trail without clinching my hands in fists of rage. 

Edited by yave1964
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Holy %$#@ing $#!&, @yave1964 … are you freakin kidding me!!??
You, Sir, TRULY have some bug in my head, some listening device, some sort of WIRE.... (or is it the other way around??), because I was thinking this SAME damned thing today as I watched Hockey Central!!

Not only because they were interviewing Tyler Ennis (I even thought the same way.."With all that his going on, they are interviewing THIS plug??"), but because the usual suspects that infest the show (Kypreos, Burke...the other coach/GM guy whose name escapes me, and the main host with the thick Canadian accent who never played hockey) are ALWAYS on the topic of the Toronto Effing Maple Leafs!

I realize....the show IS slanted towards a Canadian audience, but Jesus H. Christ.... let off the damn Maple Leafs for just a damned minute and realize that Canada also has other teams in the league and also that there are other teams even within the same division as the Leafs having good seasons, and in fact, may even be favored ABOVE them to win it all!

How about Louis Domingue 'driving the bus' in Tampa? Sure, the Lightning have looked hit n miss, but his is Louie Freakin Domingue being the #1....on a team favored to win a Cup....and actually NOT PLAYING BADLY (I blame the Bolts recent goal leaking more on the defense than him!)

How about the goalie controversy in Boston where they don't know whether Halak or Rask should be number one...yet the Bruins still remain near the top of the division? Oh, and they lose Bergeron for a while too.

All the coaching changes....yes, they touched up on them, but only as a "commercial break" away from Leafs talk!

The damned Predators, who just BEAT the Lightning in what could be a STanley Cup preview???
The Jets movin on up, and still Minnesota, not expected to hang with them, are there right with them?

Craig "Must Push Harder" Berube, of Flyer futility fame....taking over for "marble head Yeo??
Anton Khudobin taking over for Ben Bishop, who, much like Domingue, is now in charge of the crease, of a high powered offensive team expected to make noise in the playoffs?

Hmmmm….you know, then again, maybe listening to the opinions of Nick Kypreos and the rest of the Maple Leaf bobbleheads on the show isn't worth the time it takes me to microwave a grilled cheese sandwich at around that time of day...…….

You are right, Yave….No point in listening to those clowns midday.
Cue up my rock n roll, I can scour the Yahoo site for fantasy hockey trends or other sites like hockey reference for some good invigorating dry stats...…...certainly they will tell a better story than I could get from an interview from a guy who was cut by a losing Buffalo Sabres team, picked up, and treated like the 30th guy by the MInnesota Wild, then happily dumped while the Toronto Maple Leafs picked him up...and he does, what exactly for them?  

Oh yea, he finally scores a goal while wearing Toronto blue...……...quick, call his agent, tell him we need to have him on the show, big things from this man, etc, etc...….
Yea....what's next?

Milan Lucic or Zack Kassian get traded to Toronto and we will be subjected to segment after segment on how those guys are gonna bring "Old Tyme Hockey" to the Maple Leafs?

Hockey Central is now officially on my "Do Not Dare Tune In" list....along with Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, the Dr. Phil Show, and the various daytime soaps...……..Crap.... Price is Right will be my go-to midday....

I will just stick to NHL Now later in the day, or NHL tonight in the evenings or after hours for some televised hockey news.

And for the love of puck, Yave….STOP PILFERING MY THOUGHTS!
It's cool that great minds think alike and all, but after a while, it might get creepy.... :shifty:

• Thanks 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Yeah I was hoping to hear an update on Bergeron....or their thoughts on Rinne continuing his dominance of the Bolts, I mean, I knew they would AND SHOULD lead with the firing of McClellan and the hiring of Hitch but they kept saying, 'normally we would lead with the firing of Yeo but we will get to that in a bit'

And then never did. 

Sigh. It makes me look forward to the day that the Leafs suck again. Maybe they will rediscover there are other teams.

Edited by yave1964

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Yeah I was hoping to hear an update on Bergeron....or their thoughts on Rinne continuing his dominance of the Bolts, I mean, I knew they would AND SHOULD lead with the firing of McClellan and the hiring of Hitch but they kept saying, 'normally we would lead with the firing of Yeo but we will get to that in a bit'

And then never did. 

Sigh. It makes me look forward to the day that the Leafs suck again. Maybe they will rediscover there are other teams.

That's part of the problem though...even when Toronto was still floundering, I seem to recall the show being all about "how to fix them".
Let's face it...Hockey Central is nothing more than a Maple Leafs pre, post, and intermission report show all rolled into one hoping to make you gag while you sip your Chowder soup at midday. Simple as that. No getting away from that.

But like I said...after all this, do we REALLY  want to know what those chipmunks on the show think about anything anyways?
They have their blue colored glasses on (or at least, they are forced to wear them by the producers) and can't seem to come up with anything plausible anyways (even within the Leafs talk...sorry, but that Ennis "scoop" made them lose all remaining credibility as far as I am concerned), and especially Kypreos, who acts like he is the smartest guy in the room (which, given the others, he might be, but still...)

He has such a dismissive attitude towards any of the other panel members who do NOT agree with his point of view....he barely makes eye contact with the one coach with the glasses (who at least counters Kypreos, says things that are at least palatable, and probably has forgotten more as a GM/Coach than Kypreos has ever learned as a hockey goon and perennial 4th line player), and Kypreos, because he is too good for cue cards and screen prompts, will actually sit there....try to formulate a Leaf thought...get VISIBLY stuck with what he is trying to say, closes his eyes, then mutters something before trailing off...……….into...………….nothing...……………...

This show and the majority of the panel on it epitomizes why the NHL is the 4th (5th if some people recognize MLS) recognized major sport in the US...…. They have 31 flippin teams, and they continue the love affair with a select few, but especially for the Maple Leafs, leaving the US crowd still wondering who the other teams are...and worse yet, leading Canadian fans to believe that hockey doesn't exist below the Mason Dixon line....

When a Minnesotan or a Toronto native says stupid crap like, "Aren't those Panthers of yours in Tampa going to relocate to Quebec?" to me when I go to games, you KNOW they've been getting an overdose of Kypreos, Hockey Central, and that one guy who says "Aboot" and "Agayne" way too much....

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

**Thread Bump***

@yave1964

Thought this might be of interest...Sportsnet, they of the NHL Central midday show, has let go a trio of their highly esteemed panel.
Nick Kypreos. John Shannon. Doug MacLean.

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/hockey-analyst-nick-kypreos-leaving-sportsnet

Not mentioned here, but I read elsewhere, the lay offs or parting of ways, if you would, are revenue based.

Still though...does this mean they will bring in new personalities to liven things up on Hockey Central and other shows that air on Sportsnet?
Or does it just mean the "Leaf analysts" will simply be replaced by MORE Leaf analysts?

Might be worth tuning into Hockey Central at Noon once the season starts to see if the changes are positive..... eh? :shifty:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

My understanding is the company is bleeding money, lack of ratings outside of Toronto, changes were made because of this. Maclean was the worst, every mention of any team he automatically pivoted back to Toronto, he and Burke who (for now) is still listed as an on ice guy but I get a feeling Burke will be seen less and less which is more than fine with me. Shannon was a producer who filled in when needed and another Toronto homer. Kypreos, he at least had opinions about other teams and would talk about other stuff besides the Leafs but his on air presence wasn't a strong one. Addition by subtraction with all three. Not sure who they are adding but hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. I still expect them to mostly spend time on Canadian teams, but it would be nice to hear about the Jets/Habs/Canucks/Oilers and even Juniors more, all Leafs all the time had gotten so damn frustrating.

• Like 1