The new look Sabres, compared to the old

Buffalo Rick

This team does not have a French connection line but Eichel, Skinner and Reinhart could be the next one?  Pommenville is a leftover from the good old days when we went to the conference finals and won the Presidents trophy.  An injury to Tallinder to me killed their Cup in 06.  I remember when Cunneyworth and Patrick came up from Rochester and did a great job in the 99 finals.  But Micheal Peca was the true star of that team(as well as the Dominator) .  I believe that this team is more talented by far than the 99 team.  So anything can happen.  Look at what Vegas did?  Look at them now.  They might not even make it back to the playoffs.  A part of me still wish's Lindy Ruff were behind that bench.  But he is not. Its Housley's s show.  First they have to continue to play well and get in.  I hope the streak continues today but its going to end sooner or later. Montreal on paper is at a distinct disadvantage today.  I actually fear Detroit more tomorrow knowing Ullmark will be in, though undefeated, Hutton is the better goalie. And the Red Wings are a hot team right now.  But if we do not play 3 periods, we will get whacked by these Canadiens.  We can come back and win any game.  We are the best comeback team in the NHL.  That is always a great thing because it means your team does not quit.  Are these Sabres capable of big things?  I do not know yet. I know eventually they will be.  They have the big stars and as long as Pegula can keep this team together, due to being in a small market and such, they are going to get to the finals sooner or later.  A playoff appearance of course would be a success.  Winning a round would be icing on the cake.  I believe the future is bright.  And the future might be sooner than most believe.

17 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Look at the Standings snd see who has the best record in the NHL>  Buffalo!!!!!!!!

Reveal hidden contents

Enjoy your time on the mountain sir. They may not end up there come April but brighter days are definitely happening in Pegulaville.

29 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Enjoy your time on the mountain sir. They may not end up there come April but brighter days are definitely happening in Pegulaville.

I am not crazy.  The chances of winning the Presidents Cup are not great.  But the chances of us getting into the playoffs are realistic now don't you think?  We have to see how we do vs the "big boys" if you will.  We beat Tampa once but it was without them at 100%.  We have not played the Leafs or the Capitals and those are the teams that will tell us how far we need to go.  We are very young.  So its quite a run.  Its like Vegas last year but I think we have more talent than Vegas

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

I am not crazy.  The chances of winning the Presidents Cup are not great.  But the chances of us getting into the playoffs are realistic now don't you think?  We have to see how we do vs the "big boys" if you will.  We beat Tampa once but it was without them at 100%.  We have not played the Leafs or the Capitals and those are the teams that will tell us how far we need to go.  We are very young.  So its quite a run.  Its like Vegas last year but I think we have more talent than Vegas

You definitely have more talent than LV. Younger, too.

On 11/25/2018 at 5:48 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

So its quite a run.  Its like Vegas last year but I think we have more talent than Vegas

Way more talent than Vegas. ATM it looks like you actually could repeat their fairy tale from last season.

The only question mark (besides inexperience obviously) I can think of is your goaltending. This is Hutton's first gig as a #1 goalie and he's 33. But go for it man!

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Way more talent than Vegas. ATM it looks like you actually could repeat their fairy tale from last season.

The only question mark (besides inexperience obviously) I can think of is your goaltending. This is Hutton's first gig as a #1 goalie and he's 33. But go for it man!

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Always the negative people around.  Buffalo is only beginning.  They are young. They are not done adding pieces either. Botterill has more bunnies up his damn sleeve than pucks in the Flyers net!!!

15 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Always the negative people around.  Buffalo is only beginning.  They are young. They are not done adding pieces either. Botterill has more bunnies up his damn sleeve than pucks in the Flyers net!!!

This has been pointed out before, but you can see under the poster's name who their favorite team is. In this case, hockey-78 is a WILD fan so your "b-b-b-b-b-but th-th-th-th-th-th-the FLYERS!" mantra is misplaced.

You have to admit goaltending is an issue - although both are playing great it's a long season and playoff yet to come.

I've really enjoyed having Skinner on my NAHANA squad. Wish Ristolainen would get it going offensively, though.

Also, looking at the rosters, the Sabres are cornering the market on Rasmuses. Got two in the lineup and another down on the farm. That's half of the Rasmuses under contract! 👺

2 hours ago, radoran said:

This has been pointed out before, but you can see under the poster's name who their favorite team is. In this case, hockey-78 is a WILD fan so your "b-b-b-b-b-but th-th-th-th-th-th-the FLYERS!" mantra is misplaced.

You have to admit goaltending is an issue - although both are playing great it's a long season and playoff yet to come.

I've really enjoyed having Skinner on my NAHANA squad. Wish Ristolainen would get it going offensively, though.

Also, looking at the rosters, the Sabres are cornering the market on Rasmuses. Got two in the lineup and another down on the farm. That's half of the Rasmuses under contract! 👺

You are a very rare beast.  Favorite team Flyers and 2nd favorite Sabres?  WOW

9 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Always the negative people around. 

13 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

🙄 No offense Rick but if you really turn this quote and compliment of mine into something negative and can't stand to hear even an ounce of scepticism of your team, e.g. goaltending, you obviously need to grow a thicker skin. Have a good one!

9 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

🙄 No offense Rick but if you really turn this quote and compliment of mine into something negative and can't stand to hear even an ounce of scepticism of your team, e.g. goaltending, you obviously need to grow a thicker skin. Have a good one!

I have no problem with you.  But others yes. 

19 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You are a very rare beast.  Favorite team Flyers and 2nd favorite Sabres?  WOW

I lived in Buffalo. Loved it. Loved how the people identify with the team. It was an easy choice.

We've had this conversation before...

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I lived in Buffalo. Loved it. Loved how the people identify with the team. It was an easy choice.

We've had this conversation before...

Well sorry I do not remember it.  So I assume you have been to Rochester as well?  I have been to Philly about 3 times not including just the airport.  But its been years.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So I assume you have been to Rochester as well?

Never actually got there. I have a few friends who went to Eastman, so I've heard a lot.

I was in Allentown in Buffalo (which is weird, having to drive past Allentown, PA to Buffalo...). Still have lots of friends in the City and folks from Springville (who are currently buried in snow) were in my wedding.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

But its been years.

Did my bachelor party in Buffalo for St. Patrick's Day weekend last year. I know the folks in The Leftovers.

48 minutes ago, radoran said:

Never actually got there. I have a few friends who went to Eastman, so I've heard a lot.

I was in Allentown in Buffalo (which is weird, having to drive past Allentown, PA to Buffalo...). Still have lots of friends in the City and folks from Springville (who are currently buried in snow) were in my wedding.

Did my bachelor party in Buffalo for St. Patrick's Day weekend last year. I know the folks in The Leftovers.

Well congrats on your wedding and may you have a very great and lasting marriage.  I assume you meant the Eastman school of music?  My high school graduation was actually there.  I have a friend from Philly who is a  fan of all Philly teams that lived in Allentown.  I have never been to either.   I am about an hour and 20 minutes from downtown Buffalo.

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Leafs flex their muscle 💪 with a big win over Buffalo.  😎

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) :mapleleafs:

You act like you came in and beat us 6-1 or something? What the hell is wrong with you?  The Sabres had the lead with 5 minutes left, played a tough game in Nashville the night before and still almost won that game.  I look forward to us coming up to Toronto.  You were lucky to win. Two freakin seconds left vs our backup goalie.  Get real.  The season is far from over

On 12/5/2018 at 11:36 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

You act like you came in and beat us 6-1 or something? What the hell is wrong with you?  The Sabres had the lead with 5 minutes left, played a tough game in Nashville the night before and still almost won that game.  I look forward to us coming up to Toronto.  You were lucky to win. Two freakin seconds left vs our backup goalie.  Get real.  The season is far from over

Looking forward to the next match-up against Buffalo. Teams like Toronto need to have a few good sparring partners that can push them. 💪 😏

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Looking forward to the next match-up against Buffalo. Teams like Toronto need to have a few good sparring partners that can push them. 💪 😏

Do you really want to go here?  OK.  Lets do it. Only meaningful series between these teams and only series EVER.  Sabres beat Toronto in the Eastern finals in 99  Take a look at the head to head record over the years and you will see that the Sabres have dominated the Leafs.  So its no surprise you act like you won the Cup the other night  I happened to catch a little bit of Toronto's last Cup win on rabbit ears antenna back in 1967 vs Montreal.  It was in black and white on an old Zenith my late grandmother had.  

7 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Do you really want to go here?  OK.

I'm looking for an excuse to try out the new forum emojis.  ☺️

Only meaningful series between these teams and only series EVER.  Sabres beat Toronto in the Eastern finals in 99

Was that the season Brett Hull won the Stanley Cup for Dallas on the toe-in-the-crease goal?  🤪

So yeah, Buffalo beat Toronto that year.... but it would have meant something if they actually went on to win the Stanley Cup. Nobody remembers who defeated who for teams that didn't win anything because it doesn't matter. Leafs weren't going to beat that Dallas team anyway because the Leafs had no defence and Dallas was the #1 team in the league defensively that year.

Leafs were a better team than Buffalo on paper that year except for Hasek.  Sabres had the game's greatest goalie and that was the difference in the series.

Take a look at the head to head record over the years and you will see that the Sabres have dominated the Leafs.

I think EVERY team in the league has a better head to head record against the Leafs.  It's not an accomplishment.

8 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I happened to catch a little bit of Toronto's last Cup win on rabbit ears antenna back in 1967 vs Montreal.  It was in black and white on an old Zenith my late grandmother had.  

I wasn't alive.... so as far as I'm concerned the Leafs have won ZERO Stanley Cups.  Until I see one happen, the count is zero. 

16 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm looking for an excuse to try out the new forum emojis.  ☺️

Was that the season Brett Hull won the Stanley Cup for Dallas on the toe-in-the-crease goal?  🤪

So yeah, Buffalo beat Toronto that year.... but it would have meant something if they actually went on to win the Stanley Cup. Nobody remembers who defeated who for teams that didn't win anything because it doesn't matter. Leafs weren't going to beat that Dallas team anyway because the Leafs had no defence and Dallas was the #1 team in the league defensively that year.

Leafs were a better team than Buffalo on paper that year except for Hasek.  Sabres had the game's greatest goalie and that was the difference in the series.

I think EVERY team in the league has a better head to head record against the Leafs.  It's not an accomplishment.

I wasn't alive.... so as far as I'm concerned the Leafs have won ZERO Stanley Cups.  Until I see one happen, the count is zero. 

We were robbed in that final Dallas game and everyone including that idiot Bettman knows it

Archived