SURPRISE! Blackhawks/Coyotes trade (poll)

yave1964

In what must be the millionth trade between these two organizations in the past several years the Hawks and Coyotes traded three former first rounders last night.

Going to Chicago were Dylan Strome and Brendan Perlini both of whom have struggled mightily in the desert, Strome is only 21, Perlini is 22. Perlini is a bit of a disappointment in three seasons never getting on track, drafted right ahead of guys like Vrana and Larkin and even Schmaltz who went a few picks later. Strome was the third pick in the draft and was taken there in spite of warnings from scouts that he had zero speed has 3 goals and is a minus ten so far this year  The guys taken directly behind him in his draft class were Marner at 4, Hanifin, Provorov, Rantanen, Werenski and Meier all of whom went in the top ten. To call him a disappointment is an understatement. 

As for Schmaltz in a small sample last season he was brilliant down the stretch playing with Kane (21-31-52 most of it in the second half) but he has struggled to gain his footing so far this season but still has 11 points in 23 games in spite of yoyoing up and down the lines.

My opinion is there is a lot here, a lot more than first glance may reveal, all former first rounders are obviously talented, Schmaltz is in my opinion the best of the three, in the last two games under coach Colliton his ice time has dropped to third line minutes but he has still assisted on a goal in each game. Perlini has shown that he could be a 15-20 goal guy, Strome has shown that he is a Strome. All three could find new life with new digs, all three could bomb. My money would be on Schmaltz to be the one to step up his game going forward.

Archived