HEXTALL FIRED

radoran

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I was thinking of tuning into Hockey Central that begins in about 15 minutes to see what the bobbleheads on that show think of this firing, but they will probably find a way to turn a big deal story of Hextall being fired into, how many minutes should Travis Dermott be playing for the Leafs….  Or Is Tyler Ennis the man who should be skating beside John Tavares or not.... :huh:
So I think I will pass on that.

Will wait till tonight and see what Jamie Hersch and her co-hosts think...much more meat to their analysis.

wtf are the Flyers doing... sweet geebus. I haven't been following as closely as I have in the past, but it seemed quite obvious that this team has talent that is not being utilized properly. 

In other words... the coach seems to be the main problem staring everyone in the face. He should have been the obvious choice to depart first. 

I just don't get this move.. sure Hexy has made a few curious moves, but the team has a wealth of nice young talent and a fairly decent cap situation. Much better than where we were before Hexy. 

Can someone enlighten me? 

6 minutes ago, Bakanekimiwa said:

wtf are the Flyers doing... sweet geebus

Jeeze bro where the hell have you been?? I have seen you here in i can't remember when.

Andon the Flyers i don't ever think we'll know what the f**k they are ever doing.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Jeeze bro where the hell have you been?? I have seen you here in i can't remember when.

Andon the Flyers i don't ever think we'll know what the f**k they are ever doing.

Lol.. I dunno.. I've been around. I guess my fandom has been on rebuild mode for the last 5 years. I figured it was gonna take awhile, but it is getting ridiculous. 

Ok... after reading more replies and articles... I guess I see the point of firing Hexy. I still don't like it. I feel the coaching staff has to have it's share. Fire Hexy, then fire them all. 

Another day at the Flyers Circus. 

Honestly, I am not all that peeved right now.   Something had to change and as good as Hexy has been at drafting and managing the cap we are still a long ways away from contending. 

I just hope they pick a good GM and also replace the entire coaching staff.   I could see Hak getting shown the door immediately upon the new GM getting in the door. 

You can't ignore glaring issues like Hexy did and tell the fans to be patient while also saying it is time to take the next step.   One thing Ron had been guilty of imo is overvaluing his own players.    

Year 5 and we are still in neutral and key players have taken a step back...   Time for a new voice in the front office and behind the bench. 

Wash.Rinse.Repeat in flyer land... 

1 minute ago, Bakanekimiwa said:

Lol.. I dunno.. I've been around. I guess my fandom has been on rebuild mode for the last 5 years. I figured it was gonna take awhile, but it is getting ridiculous. 

Ok... after reading more replies and articles... I guess I see the point of firing Hexy. I still don't like it. I feel the coaching staff has to have it's share. Fire Hexy, then fire them all. 

Maybe they wanted him to fire Hak or even he wanted to fire Hak and they didn't want him too.

One thing for sure was he wanted to do it his way with no outside interference. So maybe when his bosses had seen enough wanted him to change stuff he said f**koff i run this and then they said oh yell well you can get the f**k out first....and Hak will follow soon?!?

Really don't know now but it may come out soon.

And good to see ya back.

Soooooooo.....

Just putting this out there.....

Depending on who is hired as GM and then when Hak ultimately gets fired and a new coach hired ......

Is there anyone on this current roster who is:

1) a veteran player and safe from being potentially traded

2) a younger player and safe from  being potentially traded.

3) everyone is fair game and could be traded depending on the thought process of the new GM.......

thoughts??

I have seen a few names bandied about... Fletcher, Francis, Yzerman, Pronger, Briere.

The most obvious choice would be Lombardi. Two time Cup winner already in the organization.

The press conference should be interesting tomorrow. If they have a name ready, that means it's been a long time coming. If they don't, it means it was more of a knee-jerk move. 

Either way, I feel like they fired the wrong guy first. We'll see.

23 minutes ago, Bakanekimiwa said:

wtf are the Flyers doing... sweet geebus. I haven't been following as closely as I have in the past, but it seemed quite obvious that this team has talent that is not being utilized properly. 

In other words... the coach seems to be the main problem staring everyone in the face. He should have been the obvious choice to depart first. 

I just don't get this move.. sure Hexy has made a few curious moves, but the team has a wealth of nice young talent and a fairly decent cap situation. Much better than where we were before Hexy. 

Can someone enlighten me? 

@Bakanekimiwa, back to the board, We Welcome You!!!  (Your brainchild thread from Philly.com lives on!)

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

I have seen a few names bandied about... Fletcher, Francis, Yzerman, Pronger, Briere.

The most obvious choice would be Lombardi. Two time Cup winner already in the organization.

The press conference should be interesting tomorrow. If they have a name ready, that means it's been a long time coming. If they don't, it means it was more of a knee-jerk move. 

Not sure why the wrong guys was fired first. If they soured on Hextall let the new GM come in and hire the person he wants.   We see it all the time... 

From the sounds of it Hextall and the brass were not on the same page.   Hak is as good as gone...  Let the new GM bring in his own guy.

Bunch of sources say the two frontrunners for the GM job are Ron Francis and Chuck Fletcher two guys with opposite approaches to building a team. 

Francis NEVER made trades in Carolina, well that isn't exactly true he would agree to take a Blackhawk cap casualty about every season, some worked, some didn't but he never traded a roster player out. Dumpster diving in free agency as well but that may have been more the penny pinching organization than him. He did seem to fall in love with his kids and didn't ever want to deal one away.

Fletcher on the other hand has never backed down from a trade, he constantly tinkers, some work, some dont but he is awell respected hockey man. He signed Parise and Suter to those deals, traded for Dubnyk and Niederreiter, traded AWAY Brent Burns for Charlie Coyle and a few other pieces which was the one that he really screwed up on but for the most part his trades worked out well. 

The Hockey Network, Colby Armstrong in particular stated he believes Danny briere will be in the mix for a front office position likely as an assistant to the GM.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yzerman...I would be fine with. Pronger? Briere? What experience do they have as GMs? That would be soooooo Flyerish to hire ex-players with poor qualifications.

Lombardi? Hmmm...the Kings weren't left in very good shape by him.

They definitely fired the wrong guy first...but maybe part of that reason was HE wouldn't?

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well can i be one of the first to throw a name in the ring of a choice???

How aboot Craig Heisinger assistant GM of the Winnipeg Jets???

Thoughts??

Very interesting suggestion OR. 

'Zinger certainly knows his hockey and can spot talent - he's the real story behind the Jets drafting players like Connor, Roslovic, Niku and others. I'm not sure he's interested in a GM position. He likes scouting and he likes having the time to fish. But his 4 boys are all grown up now so family life would support a move at this time I suppose.

But, if he was interested you could do a lot worse.

I think Hextall wanted to continue to preach patience, and his bosses ran out of them. Simple as that. I think that applies to everything from the firing or not firing of Hakstol, to the bringing up of Carter Hart to the Flyers.

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Not sure why the wrong guys was fired first.

I just think it takes much longer to fully evaluate a GM than a coach. The caveat, of course, is when there are 'philosophical differences' as they claim. 

Hextall was definitely not without fault, and it's not to say that firing him was the 'wrong' move. Like others have said, my guess is he refused to fire Hak and paid the price with his own job.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

Brelic, it wouldn't surprise me that it ends up being Lombardi for the rest of this year. Holmgren and Clarke are going to want someone who thinks along the same line as them.

45 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

is Yzerman available ..... ?????

You keep your hands off of Stevie Y, lol, he better be coming to Detroit next year.

Actually Yzerman is still under contract with the lightning for this season. Rumors are that he will either a) take over in Detroit come june or b) take over as the GM of the new Seattle team at that time. 

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

I just think it takes much longer to fully evaluate a GM than a coach. The caveat, of course, is when there are 'philosophical differences' as they claim. 

Hextall was definitely not without fault, and it's not to say that firing him was the 'wrong' move. Like others have said, my guess is he refused to fire Hak and paid the price with his own job.

I think he probably refused but I also think there is way more to the story.... 

Archived