HEXTALL FIRED

radoran

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, vis said:

Anyone see Hakstol's interview posted by Carchidi?

"We put up back to back losses - at home - against two (of the six) teams behind us in the standings, then lost to Tampa Bay and got blown out in Buffalo, but before we got waxed in Tronno, we had one of our best games of the season against the Rangers."

Nice exemplanation, Dave. At that rate, they'll go 10-39-10 over the remainder of the season...

In other news, the Rangers are a team facing a serious rebuild who have traded away a lot of their core, and are still ahead of the Flyers in the standings...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Makes sense.

Homer and gang might have got real antsy with Quenneville just sitting there waiting...

...could they take their time due their due dillegence fiding their guy...or do they find the GM/puppet like a Lombardi who will go out and just get the coach....Q like they want?

That's hard to say. History has conditioned me to have little faith in the clown car that runs the Flyers

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So, I actually think this was the right order. 

Hextall completely crapped the bed this summer. The product he was selling was atrocious. Simply mindnumbing negligence. I like what he did with drafts and prospects and picks. Really. But at some point he completely forgot he needs to put together an NHL team. At this point, the Cap is no longer an excuse, and he never pivoted. 

It's the right move and order, to me, because I think the head coach is part of the regime change. I think you go get your GM and let him (or her, if they're also thinking Condoleezza Rice) get his head coach and staff. 

If you're going to axe both GM and head coach, gotta do GM first. 

I like Hextall, and I like some of the things he did. Hopefully, whoever comes in doesn't gut our prospects. But something had to give. The team and the whole experience of watching the game is horrible. 

I think we had an in-house GM available. His message of patience was wearing thin on the Flyer hierarchy. The losing streak made it the perfect timing and excuse to let him go. I think there really is an internal struggle in the organization as to whether to hire someone with Flyer ties, and perhaps someone they can control, or someone with rings. I hope the rings win. The Penguins, Rangers, Devils, Capitals and Islanders have ALL won a Cup since we have last. That CAN'T/SHOULDN'T sit well with Flyer management.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

"We put up back to back losses - at home - against two (of the six) teams behind us in the standings, then lost to Tampa Bay and got blown out in Buffalo, but before we got waxed in Tronno, we had one of our best games of the season against the Rangers."

Yeah, kind of a weird interview.  Like, how did this interview even come to be?  Did the media request his availability?  Did he just start going on?  It seemed like Hakstol was defending himself in the face of an impending firing.

How about another name from Flyers West...

...King's assistant GM Mike Futa???

Thoughts from anyone familiar with him.

Vegas' Kelly McCrimmon is another thought too.

The Kings might be the worst team in hockey. Why?

Just now, vis said:

Yeah, kind of a weird interview.  Like, how did this interview even come to be?  Did the media request his availability?  Did he just start going on?  It seemed like Hakstol was defending himself in the face of an impending firing.

He is a dead man walking. He knows it. You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

To try to put "we shutout the Rangers" lipstick onto a 1-4-1 pig is about as weak a "defense" as he ices in his lineups.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Nice exemplanation, Dave. At that rate, they'll go 10-39-10 over the remainder of the season...

In other news, the Rangers are a team facing a serious rebuild who have traded away a lot of their core, and are still ahead of the Flyers in the standings...

He sounds like a guy who just lost the only person who had any faith in him, (not including his mom, but including the entire fanbase) and sees the writing on the wall.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

The Kings might be the worst team in hockey. Why?

Because he was part of assembling a two time Stanley Cup winner.

Spent like 12 years in the organization and worked his way of from hockey operations and director of player personnel to assistant GM.

Why not???

I don't want Lombardi. He is fine where he is....but no further.

I hear ya...but if he can bring Sutter here having had LA ties with him, that works for me. Then Lombardi can hit the road too, for all intents and purposes.

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He sounds like a guy who just lost the only person who had any faith in him, (not including his mom, but including the entire fanbase) and sees the writing on the wall.

I don't know, were you there during the Hakstol Canadian Thanksgiving reunion?

5 minutes ago, csummers said:

you could just say "you were right, I was wrong". No reason to get all upset just because I was correct.

You really need a pat on the back that bad....there you go....now eff off. 

Just because Hextall was fired by Paul friggin Holmgren doesn't make you a hockey genius. The team is in a lot better shape, moving forward, after Hextalls tenure than what Homer left it in.

Stop with your "look how awesome I am" bs just because the guy who dismantled the franchise has now fired the GM and maybe people won't tell you to GFY.

30 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I hear ya...but if he can bring Sutter here having had LA ties with him, that works for me. Then Lombardi can hit the road too, for all intents and purposes.

Sutter has retired and said he was done coaching hockey.

Lombardi didn't really do a lot drafting wise in LA.

The main key pieces were already in the system when he took over for Taylor.

Dustin Brown, Quick and Kopitar.

I mean he drafted Doughty with the 2nd overall and hard to f**k that up however he busted on Colten Teubert 11 picks later and busted on Thomas Hickey with the 4th overall the year before.

So not sure want any part of Deano!

Archived